RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 348 Winchester

348 Winchester

Hi,
    Just got some Brass (200 NEW Winchester), Bullets (200-200Grain), and RCBS Loading dies in a purchase for 348 Winchester. Don't know anything about this cartridge but from what I have been reading it was offered in Lever Guns. Was wondering what rifles it was offered in? How hard one is to find? Trying to decide whether to search for a rifle or let it go. Any one familiar with this cartridge? All input appreciated.
    Thanks
    Doug
    Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something better !!

Tred1956 that should be a Winchester Model 71 ! Looks like a 1886 only they should have been all pistol grip !!! They shot well !

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

I have a whole bunch of loaded ammunition for 348 Winchester as well. Unfortunately for me at least, the rifle to shoot them his very expensive.

I just did a search and found that out myself. To get one of those I would have to leave a body part LOL. Looks like there may be some 348 components for sale soon.
    Thanks
    Doug
    Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something better !!

The Japan Brownings are more reasonable then an original Winchester. I believe some single shot maker also offered as a chambering, 348 win..

Boolit Master
    Miroku made Winchester model 71s under the Browning name in 1986-'87. The Winchester and Browning model 71s were the only rifles chambered for the 348 cartridge.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master

There are rifles other than the Model 71, but they are rare. Mine is a single shot. The 348 Winchester is an excellent cast bullet cartridge, having a long neck. The large rim makes it an excellent single shot cartridge as well.

Boolit Master
    I have a Siamese Mauser in 348. I never shot it much. Working up a load, it developed some recoil at the top end. I never chronographed it, but it was probably a lot faster than the factory load for the lever actions. I tried paper patching .338 lead, and drilled out a mold for paper patch, and it shot fair. I think it has a new Douglas barrel. I got it just over the hill from Douglas, in Cross Lanes, WV. I probably should part with it. I don't shoot it and the recoil bothers me more than it used to.

Boolit Master
    I have to thank Tatume and flounderman for those posts. Never knew any other rifle but the model 71 was chambered for the 348.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 1886 Winchester I believe was rebarrled to 348 Winchester. Serial number on frame puts production in 1896. The 348 Barrel does not fit into the equation unless it was done after maybe 1935? or when 348 came out?
    Don't what to hijack this thread will start my own! I'm really trying to figure this gun out.
    A lot of personal interest envoled

Here's a pic of an Enfield Custom converted to .348 WCF

Made by Lon Paul.

Randy

Attachment 202620
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

PM sent.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Here's a pic of an Enfield Custom converted to .348 WCF

Made by Lon Paul.

Randy

Attachment 202620
    That is beautiful. A .35 WCF would make more sense from a cartridge feeding perspective but not from an ammunition availability perspective. I think custom Lees are ruggedly handsome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The only reason I've yet to try a Lee is because the action allows too much case stretching. But then, I've not observed it with my own two eyes, so I ask you: how long do cases last in this platform?

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post

I have to thank Tatume and flounderman for those posts.

Never knew any other rifle but the model 71 was chambered for the 348.

There's a difference between "offered/chambered in .348" and "FACTORY offered/chambered in .348".

The Winchester Model 71, and all it's clones (from Japan & Italy) are AFAIK the only rifles ever factory-chambered for the .348.

The Model 71 has been customized/altered from .348 into several other chamberings (.358 Ackley Improved , .45-70, .450 Alaskan, .50 Alaskan)

Last edited by pietro; 08-26-2017 at 11:42 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Not sure why anyone would want to re-chamber a model 71 to 45-70 when there are thousands upon thousands of model '86s out there that are factory chambered for 45-70. Also seems like you'd be going backward since the 50-110 is the parent case for the 348.

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    348 in factory loads is NOT a target gun. recoil even with a lead sled is a good jolt, cast works very good, problem is a mold
    i have a win 71 ,got from guy many years back. 2boxes of shells 2 were missing . his story was he shot a bear twice . when they got the bear home there was only one shot. My guess is the recoil he didnt see the bear on the next shot

Boolit Master
    I actually find the recoil from a model '86 SRC shooting 405s with 50ish grains of 3031 to be more punishing than the 348 shooting Barnes 220s at (can't remember the load right now) moderate levels.

- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post

Not sure why anyone would want to re-chamber a model 71 to 45-70 when there are thousands upon thousands of model '86s out there that are factory chambered for 45-70.

As posted above, the .348's recoil can be punishing, but a .45-70 w/300gr boolits can be pleasant to shoot in a rifle with ample weight; AND some folks prefer a pistol-grip buttstock, which Model 86's don't have.

I've run across a few Model 71's converted to .45-70, but never a Model 86 converted to .348.

It could also simply be that somebody with an old Model 86 just wanted the latest/greatest after the Great Depression of the early 1930's.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast