Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: 3 oz 10 Gauge Buckshot Load?

Boolit Buddy

3 oz 10 Gauge Buckshot Load?

Just a novelty idea really. Hoping for 900-1000fps. Maybe use it on some coyotes. Any ideas? Powder (hoping to use Bluedot or Longshot)? Components? .....Load data???

Boolit Buddy
    I know I don't want to shoot it. 2 oz of shot kicks plenty enough for me.

Boolit Buddy
    My math says it should kick with the same amount of force due to the lower mv.

Boolit Master
    A gun should recoil at the same velocity with 3oz. and 1000ft./sec. as 2oz. and 1500ft./sec. The latter is an extremely fierce load, and if there is any variation in recoil velocity, energy is proportional to the square of velocity. Pressure is a lot less reliably calculable. Remember that with smokeless powder the burning rate increases much more than in proportion to pressure. Put in simple terms that means anything which tends to increase pressure a little, increases it a lot. You would need a very strong modern shotgun to even start this kind of thing.

I wonder if the ability to get off an instant second shot could be at all useful?

Boolit Master
    A 3 1/2 inch 12, with 18 00 will rearrange your bone structure from a pump gun. I have used it on deer and my results were the 3 inch 12 load killed better, and a fast handload I had with 9 or 10 00, killed a lot further away. A 3 oz load is just going to be like a handful of rocks, with horrible recoil. An ounce and a half of 2s or bbs, at maximum velocity, will work on something like a coyote, probably better than the 3 oz load. I have been disappointed in number 4 buck, every time I tried to shoot something with it.

Banned
    My shoulder says that shot won't happen to me.

Boolit Master

I wrote something that was not well thought out and have deleted it.
    Last edited by frkelly74; 08-25-2017 at 09:08 AM.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    I wrote something that was not well thought out and have deleted it.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
    Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Banned
    huntingsgr8,

A 3 ounce, number 4, 10 gauge load used to be one of the OLD Market Hunting shotgun loads. = It was referred to as the "8-guage equivalent".
    (The DB that fired it generally weighed about 15-20 pounds & was usually fired from a gunning-skiff.)

Fwiw, Lord Robert Baden-Powell recorded in his first book that a hunter in South Africa used to hunt with a TWO gauge double-barrel, that fired a 5" shell. With typical British understatement, he said that, "The pushback was considerable".
    (I don't even want to think what the recoil of a 2-bore with 5" cartridge would have been like.)

Note: When Lord Baden-Powell was a LT, he owned a .60 caliber DB howdah pistol.
    (The load was reportedly 2 ounces of "heavy shot" for each tube.)
    His batman one late night shot a "night-prowling criminal" with the pistol & the official Officer's Day Report states that the prowler was "taken to his place of interment" in THREE pieces.
    (What the 3 pieces were is not recorded.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 08-25-2017 at 09:03 PM. Reason: add

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Driver man View Post
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
    Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

that was written way before the delete button came about , me thinks.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Buddy
    My mistake with the recoil calculation. I compared a 2 1/4oz load at 1200fps, to a 3oz load at 900fps. That said, 60 ft-lbs of recoil is what I would be getting out of my 10 because it weighs 12 lbs. That's about as much recoil as I get from the 3 1/2 inch waterfowl loads I shoot out of my 535. Also about inline with a .458 Win Mag IIRC.

Boolit Master
    To each his own !

Now with that being said all my 10 gauge doubles are for 2 7/8" shells hence all my loads stay at 1 1/2 ounces or LESS . Not only do I not want to pound my shoulder that much but being as all but 2 of the 12 or 13 doubles I own are Damascus and ALL but one are over 100 years old I see no future in as much as 1 3/4 ounces in any of mine .

But as I said initially to each his own and enjoy !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Grand Master

Unfortunately, I never loaded for 10 gauge. I owned one once, but it was such a turd (not bad if I thought of it as a single shot, looking back), I got rid of it. It's the only gun I ever sold.

I think 3 ounces of shot would be great, assuming you could shoot it without flinching bad. I load 48 pellets of F for coyote (1 3/4 oz in 3" 12 gauge), and that load is fantastic. It puts 3+ pellets in a 10" circle out to 60 yards consistently. 3 ounces would be about 82-84 pellets. Assuming it patterned tight, that would be one heck of a coyote load.

Boolit Grand Master
    Driver Man -- Well written poetry.. ?Burma Shave?

Boolit Master