WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remington 760 Gamemaster

Boolit Master

Remington 760 Gamemaster

Can anybody tell me about these? I know they were pretty popular up North, but you don't see too many pump action rifles around here. I found one in .300 Savage, and I've wanting to get something else to hunt with other than my 30-06. I know the case isn't ideal for cast bullets with it's short neck, but that's not really an issue. Other than plinking, I'd probably stick to jacketed bullets for it anyways.

Boolit Grand Master
    Only had exposure to one. My buddy had one in .30-06 and after I took off the see-thru scope mounts, cleaned it up, tightened what needed tightening, and oiled what needed oiling, it became a darn good game getter. Took it to Canada on a bear trip. Properly cared for it was acceptably accurate and I wouldn't hesitate to have one. I tried to get his when he passed, but the family gave all his guns to somebody else.

Get it you'll love it. They're quick as a shotgun and the .300 Savage is a good one.

Boolit Master

The early 760's (300 Savage era) had stocks with lots of drop to them to match the low mounted iron sights they came with. Scopes at that time were just coming on to the scene, and the WWII vets were happy to stick a peep sight on a 760 and call it good. The good news is those old guns naturally point like a good shotgun. The bad news is with full power loads they whack you in the face pretty hard. As a skinny 12 year old my first deer rifle was a 760 in 300 Savage, and I didn't enjoy shooting it. A old 760 with light loads is a nifty plinker for an adult, I have one and like it, but I just don't think it is a good "youth" rifle.

I own a 760 in 30-06 and it is a rather unique creature. For some reason it puts nearly all bullets regardless of weight into the same group at 100 yards. I have no idea why since that should not happen.
    It is nice because all I need to know is the different drops for the load I am using that day. No resighting needed.
    The groups it shoots aren't all that tight but are plenty good enough to hunt with(1.5-2 inches at 100 yards).
    I used to have a peep sight on it but now it wears a scope. My eyes no longer work with iron sights well enough as I have gotten older.

Boolit Master
    My Rem 760 in 300 Savage is one of my favorites. I haven't yet hunted with it: most of my shooting has been plinking tin cans for which I use the Lee 120 grain "soup can" bullet and 10 grains of Green Dot (just because I have a great gob of Green Dot -- 9.5 grains of Red Dot or 10.5 grains of Unique would probably duplicate my GD load).

I once owned a 760 BDL in 30-06. I shot it some, with irons. It was a really nice gun. It functioned perfectly. I wish I still owned it. It had tall ramp sights on it.

Banned
    am44mag,

Try one & I predict that you'll buy one, as the pump-gun seems to always shoot well & FAST for a 2nd/3rd shot. -
    WARNING: The 760 is "addictive".
    (I now have about a half-dozen of them in various calibers from .244 to 9.3x62 Mauser.- My favorite is a 1954 version in .300 Savage, btw. Btw, I'm looking for a 760 in .257 Roberts, too.)

Note: I bought my first 760 in .244 Remington caliber for 50 bucks, because the original owner had read in "a popular gun magazine" that, "the .244 isn't suitable for hunting deer, as it won't stabilize bullets over 90 grains."
    (HALF of the magazine article is CORRECT.= The .244REM won't stabilize bullets over 90 grains BUT the numerous WT/coyotes/pigs that I've taken with it over the last 3 decades didn't care that they died from a 90 grain bullet.)

Btw, here in South Texas, it seems like most of the 760 shooters are Southpaws or "transplanted Pennsylvanians" & most of us "pump-rifle addicts" also have one or more pump-shotguns.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 06-27-2017 at 11:19 AM. Reason: addenda

Boolit Grand Master

Through the years I have owned a lot of firearms but never a 760. I just knew that they wouldn't shot well and the trigger was more fitting for a shotgun, however, I got a 30/06 in a trade. While the trigger doesn't compare to a good bolt gun it shoots really well. I really like it. When I took it on trade my plan was to sell it. After shooting it I have NO plans on selling or trading it.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-27-2017 at 12:18 PM.

Boolit Master

Very popular in Pennsylvania where semi's have been banned for hunting. I tried a friend's in .270 but it didn't work for me fit-wise. Accuracy, as others have noted here, is just OK, good enough for hunting. If it works for you, go for it.

-HF
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    I got a 760 in 308 win a few years ago.

Looks bad, sholders well, shoots great.

I haven't loaded cast boolits in 308 win yet.

Still foolin' around with 30-30, 357, 45-70 etc. etc, etc.

Banned
    M-Tecs,

SMART fellow are you, imvho.

yours, tex

Banned
    HangFireW8,

When I was stationed at Ft Indiantown Gap in PA (which is where/when I bought my first 760 carbine), the 760 was popularly known as "the Amish machine gun" because of its ability for QUICK 2nd/3rd/4th shots.

yours, tex

In Remembrance

I`ve shot 2 of the `trombone action` rifles. A neighbor has a `50`s version in .300 savage and it is a sweetheart. A farmer neighbor has a .257 `Bob` 760 that rattles around behind and under the seat of his pickup. I replaced his 6x scope on it as it finally died from bouncing around. Neither neighbor wants to sell theirs to me.Robert

Banned
    my late grandpap had a 760(1 of the first ones) in '06. now its my son's. my dad has a 760 in '06(bought new sometime in '70-71). i had a 760 in the 308win(serial # says it was 1973 or 74), but i traded it for something else. the two '06's do +/-1" at 100 yards(5 shots) and the 308 would do an 1 1/4" at 100 yards(5 shots). i believe that all three of them are junk!!! but you'll have to do, what you have to do.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Remington 760 - 308Win of mine has dropped many deer. Best shot was 8 pointer at 268yds on laser ranger finder with 9X scope. Bought it in 1967 with the pressed checkering
    Have also made Pb reloads and shot it 500m
    Regards
    John

I had forgot I wanted one. Thanks guys! Bunch of damn enablers.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Thanks fellas, I appreciate the info. I think that I'll be getting one pretty darn soon. I'm not too worried about the accuracy. If it can do 2" at 100 yards, I'll be happy. I'm mainly wanting it to hunt with.

I guess I need to order some dies and brass. I'll get that 120gr Lee soup can mold too. I've got plenty of Red Dot to play around with. During the Obama reelection scare, that was the only thing you could find around here. Luckily, that's not the case any more.

Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    am44mag,

Try one & I predict that you'll buy one, as the pump-gun seems to always shoot well & FAST for a 2nd/3rd shot. -
    WARNING: The 760 is "addictive".
    (I now have about a half-dozen of them in various calibers from .244 to 9.3x62 Mauser.- My favorite is a 1954 version in .300 Savage, btw. Btw, I'm looking for a 760 in .257 Roberts, too.)

Note: I bought my first 760 in .244 Remington caliber for 50 bucks, because the original owner had read in "a popular gun magazine" that, "the .244 isn't suitable for hunting deer, as it won't stabilize bullets over 90 grains."
    (HALF of the magazine article is CORRECT.= The .244REM won't stabilize bullets over 90 grains BUT the numerous WT/coyotes/pigs that I've taken with it over the last 3 decades didn't care that they died from a 90 grain bullet.)

Btw, here in South Texas, it seems like most of the 760 shooters are Southpaws or "transplanted Pennsylvanians" & most of us "pump-rifle addicts" also have one or more pump-shotguns.

yours, tex
    Funny you should mention a 1954 version. That is the exact year the one I was looking at was made. I doubt I'll have the money before that auction ends though.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I had forgot I wanted one. Thanks guys! Bunch of damn enablers.
    Best, Thomas.
    I'm telling ya! I was starting to look into getting a sporterized Enfield or Krag and customizing them to my tastes, but now I'm pretty well sold on the 760.

Banned
    Hardcast416taylor,

DARN your neighbor for having a .257 "bouncing around" in the truck. = I've looked for a 760 in .257 Roberts for YEARS here in Texas with ZERO luck for my collection.
    (>90% of the ones that were sold here in TX seem to be in .30-06 or .270WCF. - I know of 4 other 760s in another caliber & three are .300SAV. The other one is in .308.)

yours, tex

Banned
    Texas by God,

YEP. We definitely ARE enablers. = After you get your 1st Model 760, I'll remind you that you really should start building your collection of pump-rifles, too.

CHUCKLE, Tex

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I Bunch of damn enablers.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast