RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Powder Coating Bullets >>> (ULTRA LOW HEAT) <<< ELVIS AMMO Method

Banned
    Nice tutorial, I'll need to put that on my list of things to try.

I've found that some PC's will not stick together piled up after a full bake.

What brand and color of PC did you use on this test?

Boolit Man
    Smokes powder and powder by the pound are the same powders.
    It cures at what they say and not any less temp. PERIOD!

Boolit Mold
    Hi, it is Eastwood.
    Hotcoat Powder Coat Ford Light Blue - Item #10145
    I have only tried this and the semi gloss black which didn't work that well - no leading but nowhere near as good a finish.
    Last edited by Chargerboy72; 06-24-2019 at 08:46 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I use Eastwood and I don't understand why you think that I'm not curing at the correct temperature?
    I use Elvis's method so the bullets don't stick together and I can handle them without tweezers or losing powder coat and then I bake them again for the recommended time at the recommended temp - the only reason to partially bake them is so you can handle them.
    And here are some used examples - material loss is because they are soft range scrap and shot into sand between 25 and 10 metres.
    But hey - you can do whatever you want - I don't like spending the time to stand them up but it produces the best results and if I don't like doing that I sure as @#$% wouldn't spend time with tweezers etc when the powder coat is in powder form on the bullets - tried that just once.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3609.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	244092Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3610.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	244093Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3611.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	244094

Banned
    Chargerboy72 I see no problems with a short bake than a full-length bake according to the manufacturers' specifications.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...PC-long-enough

ASBBDT is still a new process and there is a lot to learn. There's not a lot of history of ASBBDT.

I know from some short term tests that boolits that are not properly cured will react to some smokeless powders where PC that is cured to manufacturers specs doesn't. I don't have enough data to back it up with pictures and figures. My thought on the matter is that I want to do the best I can in reloading and baking to manufacturers specs is cheap insurance.

About your boolit pics, I thought that softer boolits usually mushroom and stay together.

Boolit Master
    My apologies , you are correct 200C is just over 400F. My rant was intended for the very popular YouTube undercured drop method videos and mistakenly misread the temp on your final curing. I can see how your partial cure two step method would make an easier to handle less fragile coating. I will give your method a try and see if it speeds up the process.

Since I use a tumbler made for purpose and preheat the bullets before tumbling my coating is already much less fragile and more even than just shaking the bullets in powder & BB's. However, using tweezers is the slowest part of my operation and so far I haven't found anything faster and still end up with a uniform coating and a flat base, but your method may do that as the powder will flow again on the final cure.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    upping the playback does wonders for this
    He talks faster than I do.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345