Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Powder Coating Bullets >>> (ULTRA LOW HEAT) <<< ELVIS AMMO Method

Powder Coating Bullets >>> (ULTRA LOW HEAT) <<< ELVIS AMMO Method

OK Boys...Powder Coating at low temp. . . . "Naw, can't do that. PC instructions say, 'bla bla bla'...won't work! HUMBUG!" . . . well,
    Elvis is at it again...
    he is addressing the temporary loss of BHN...
    the water drop method of batch baking to separate...
    the hammer test...
    using his PID controller.

If you are one of the fellas complaining about Elvis's slow speech...( Set your 'playback' speed to 1.25 and he'll move right along.)

here's the link . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0awdqw9WCI
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

upping the playback does wonders for this
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    upping the playback does wonders for this
    I know...I hope it doesn't hurt his feelings if it gets back to him, we are friends.

Boolit Master
    I saw no before and after test on BHN...don't think he proved anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohon View Post
    I saw no before and after test on BHN...don't think he proved anything.
    Nothing has been said about Elvis 'Proving' anything...didn't you listen to what he said about his results previously done on the water dropped wheel weights?

Boolit Master
    After watching the first video I tried it and I got leading. When I hammer tested the bullets I got flaking. However,I do smash almost flat. I don't see how the powder coat can cure at that low of a temp. But, if it works for him that is great! I'll stick with 400 F for twenty minutes method.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

You can see the package of PC in Ford Blue to his right but I don't recognize the brand.
    I'm sure this ain't going to work with all brands either. But seeing his hammer test, I don't doubt that it just worked with that particular brand.

I don't ever PC in batches but I know some of you do and thought you might be interested?

Boolit Master
    Eastwood makes the ford light blue.

Yup. That's an Eastwood package fo sho.

Boolit Master
    You got to hand it to the guy. He is trying to find better ways. And he shares what he finds. Very admirable.(hope I spelled that right)

Spelling?...your asking the wrong Texican, they didn't teach that back then, or iffin they did, I was flirting with some girl and musta missed it!

Your right though...I wish he lived at one of the ranches around me...whata great neighbor to have. Two brass stuffer/casters living as neighbors...hell, there's prolly a law against it somewhere.

Man, I sure hope the day never comes that I have to carry to Powder Coat. He must live in a real bad area.

Quote Originally Posted by MyFlatline View Post
    Man, I sure hope the day never comes that I have to carry to Powder Coat. He must live in a real bad area.
    Elvis shoots there at his property where his shop is...prolly why he's packing...I wouldn't fret for his safety. He's a fine shot.

Boolit Mold
    Elvis is awesome... way over in the Carolina woods y'all will find a small shop known to most of us country boy Patriots as EARL. In this lab you'll find experiments that'll make poor Richards almanac proud. The best thing about EARL is it never says this is what you should do. It always says try it and come up with your own way, tweak this and help make it better. Or in this case see what result you get and let me know.TBS

I tried smokes "Carolina blue" and "jet black" the both worked great using my PID to firgure out my cheap toaster oven temps.... 240* for 12 mins... However HF red did not cover until over 250*
    Bullets were same as Elvis' (Lee 125gr RNTL 9mm) my cast bullets also COWWs tested 18BHN before PCing ( note these bullets were cast 2 months ago) one hour after PCing both blue and black showed zero BHN loss. HF red droped from 18bhn to 15.5 one hour after PCing now 2.5 bays later HF red now test 17bhn and may still rise. All 3 hamer tested great no flaking... range time coming more info soon...

Let's see if this forum can help test this method...
    REMEBER SOME OF US NEVER THOUGHT WE'D LIKE THE INTERNET... OR TEXTING WAS JUST NOT FOR US... look now grandparents can't stay of "THE FACEBOOK" trust me guys we a figure this out, and for those who can't or won't there is always the old trusted Jitterbug...

Thanks and God bless
    I think therefore I am...I think...right??? <>< ✝️✝️✝️

Boolit Master
    It could be the alloy. I was using range scrap with added tin. I have a little wheel weight alloy and will try that. The powder I was using was Prismatic Hot Rod Blue. Elvis said in his last video that the low heat coating would not pass the acetone test. It will wipe off but remain bonded enough to stay on the bullet for the trip down the barrel. I have not really paid much attention to bhn. I mostly shoot handgun rounds. I do have a cabine tree tester and will start checking. I know with the range scrap that it is easy to size air cooled but if you wait until the next day after water quenching it will be quite a bit harder to get them through the sizer. So much so that I might have to spray the bullets with the lanolin and alcohol lube. Nothing but respect for Elvis he is doing a great job. I hope it works with the wheel weight alloy. I hope RunRiverFive sees these. He has already commented several times on bhn and has forgot more about the subject than we will ever know.

I am not so concerned about higher BHN in pistol rounds as I shoot much softer than most...but, the thought's I'm mulling over is this...

*How will the low temp. applied PC 'supposedly cured' coating react in the heat that the powder generates during the short trip down barrel.
    Properly cured PC can withstand very high temps for short durations...don't quote me but I think I remember something on the order of 1,400*F for fractions of a second? Not sure, but it's high enough that it doesn't smear down bbl.
    ? I suppose only time will tell how the different mfgr's products will react with 1,000's eventually being shot...they will either deposit or not deposit smears of uncured PC?

I used to fret over my oven dropping down to 350*F while it's thermostat controlled the elements...I don't think I'll give that a second thought anymore!

Boolit Master
    I agree with what you say. I am still going to experiment,it is fun! When I am experimenting I only do small batches (25 bullets) to see if something will work. I checked with Prismatic and other powder coat suppliers and they said no way would the powder cure at that low of a temp. I AM NOT
    trying to say Elvis is wrong I hope he is right. If this technique will work then it will save time,energy and frustration (bullets coming apart easier,etc) On to the experiment!!!!

Boolit Master
    Been watching Elvis channel for years.

The question is why? Almost all PC powder is recommended to cure at 400 degrees. You might get by at 350, but 275? Why? You are not going to properly cure the PC properly. It will not consistently work. And hardness issue is not accurate ate any rate. How many cast, coat, load and shoot the bullets in a week? If you do, you need to cast more! Simple as that.

Boolit Master
    Kudo's to him for experimenting but iff'n it aint broke I ain't gonna mess with it. If my PC rounds start having issues then I'll revisit the ol' drawing board.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast