MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Henry 327 carbine draw first blood!

Boolit Master

Henry 327 carbine draw first blood!

I have a hard time calling it a Big Boy Steel being a 32 cal pistol round, and it was just a raccoon at the bird feeders, but it did its job superbly!

One .314 lead flat nose end to end from about 35 yards and lights out! The buzzards are eating good today!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Where are the pics? No pics, it never happened
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Where are the pics? No pics, it never happened
    I was going to say the same.Think there was pics and then there is none.You are so right
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    I guess I should sign up with another hosting site since photo bucket bit me. There where about 20 vultures in the field that would attest to the authenticity of the report though.

Boolit Mold

I have a Ruger SP101 4.2" in 327 Mag and love that little cartridge. I saw that Henry Big Boy in 327 and think I really want it. What mould/bullet did you use and what alloy did you use? Any idea on the velocity? Enjoy that Henry!
    ABS Apprentice Bladesmith
    USMC Veteran
    VFW Life Member

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
    Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
    Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918

Boolit Master
    Took two coons out, raiding the bird feeders, two of the last three days. Just used the Ruger 10-22 with Federal American Eagle plated HP's.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    I use my Henry BBS 45LC on woodchucks. 6 so far. All with cast, too!

Boolit Master
    I'm currently buying boolits from the Missouri Bullet co. It's the cowboy #6 .313 BH of 12, with all the H110 that will fit under it, sparked by CCI SP mag primers. Never ran it across a chronograph and have no idea of the speed, but it will divet steel targets that a 9mm won't, this from a GP100. That bullet and load shoots good from every 327FM I own, all 9 of them. No leading either!

My Henry slugged at .3114.

I've killed a bunch of raccoons with a 22lr and never seen a DRT body shot with a 22lr like the 327 did!

Moderator Emeritus

That gun ought to be "Big Medicine" as Teddy Roosevelt put it, for coons! Put one in the right place, with the right load and bullet, and I doubt it'll do a deer much good, too! How do you like your Henry? I want to want one, but those tube magazine loading system just doesn't inspire me. Love the company and their philosophy and approach to service, but I simply for the life of me can't get over those magazine loading things. Lordy do I hate it when I find a gun like that - one I WANT to want, but just can't get over some aspect of it! It's tough being a gun nut sometimes, I guess?

Boolit Master
    Tube loading vs side gate? Let's see, I have a Remington 121 that feeds from the front and a Browning BL22 that feeds likewise and never had a single issue loading them through a slot in the magazine tube. That said, the only thing I dislike is the O ring that keeps the inner tube snug. It just seems a little cheesy to me! I plan to figure out how to put a bowed spring washer to replace it in the future. It is also possible to have a round slip between the bolt and the lifter. I've had this happen while trying to work the action slow and catch empties. I have to pull the bolt back a very little with finner and thumb to free the rim add the lever doesn't quite cam the bolt back enough. Easier to show it than tell it, not a problem in normal operation.

I like it well enough I'm trying to get my hands on a rifle length as well! I passed on the Marlin in 32 H&R years ago and kicked myself a million times, but I'm a .32 fan.

I was in the toy room yesterday and noticed my 32 ML balls are .315! I wonder what a couple of those with some alox over about 1.5 gr Green Dot would do? "Insert mischievous laugh here"