RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: WTB: Lead hammer mold, buy or borrow

WTB: Lead hammer mold, buy or borrow

Anybody have a lead hammer mold I could borrow to make a few hammers?

Or may consider buying outright.

I see them out there new and on eBay, but I recall the Perfesser made a run of them years ago on the group.

http://www.gasenginemagazine.com/equ...rs?slideshow=5

Make one yourself, here's a link.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Banned
    If you want a small lead hammer, this is what I did:
    First I bought one of these from Harbor Freight: https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-1...mer-69093.html
    Then I took the thin aluminum "cup" from a cheap, dollar store votive candle to use as a mold. Then I placed the proper size bolt in the mold with a washer (the bolt for screwing into the hammer, is metric.) Then before pouring the lead alloy (I used a 23 bhn alloy) into the mold, I rigged something to hold the bolt and washer in place because it floats on the lead when you pour it. It came out real nice. I use it every day. It is my go to hammer. Someday I will have to make another one but this one is still good after over a year's use.
    Oh, when you put the bolt in the mold, it has to be held about half way in.
    If anyone is serious about making one of these I can make a better tutorial or maybe make a video of me making one, since I will eventually need another one anyway.

Boolit Master

The Cooks are the modern best ( http://www.cookhammer.com ) and a cheaper alternative is here:

http://www.fairweatherfoundry.com/?p...ad-hammer-mold

The Fair Weather Foundry one is available with either a 1/2" or 3/8" handle hole. Note that this hammer head has rounded ends.

Boolit Master
    nifty idea thanks for sharing. My little wooden mold tapper has gotten quite beat up but I figure better the tapper than the mold get damaged. Made that mistake once on a lee and it never recovered...
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

A tomato paste can makes a nice size mould, along with a piece of threaded pipe with a nut on it. Make a hole in the side of the can big enough for the nutted end of pipe to go into, drain can, put pipe in it, and pour. Remove can once lead has cooled.

Make sure can is thoroughly dry before you pour lead.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a nylon headed hammer from Harbor Freight that is very light and easy on the arm. Had it over a year and is holding up very well, made the same mistake with the lee mallet that turned to chips very quickly!

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch...let-66205.html

Banned
    I quickly went to using small leather mallets and never looked back
    at the banned site search for----- rawhide-head mallet, leather hammer , small, 5 - 6 oz
    or
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJPM52Y..._t2_B00375EVRS
    Last edited by Grmps; 08-30-2017 at 01:59 AM.

Must have been 20 years or more ago I picked up a hardwood hammer handle from some hardware store. Flipped it over and drilled out the end and glued in some shot. Drilled the other end and put a leather thong. Works like a charm and I can drop it to hang from my wrist and simply pick it up again by dropping my arm down. Finally had to grind off the epoxy on top since it had cracked up so bad and reapply some this year.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Quote Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
    A tomato paste can makes a nice size mould, along with a piece of threaded pipe with a nut on it. Make a hole in the side of the can big enough for the nutted end of pipe to go into, drain can, put pipe in it, and pour. Remove can once lead has cooled.

Make sure can is thoroughly dry before you pour lead.
    I like this idea!
    I was thinking of a simple mold to make one and don't really want to turn on on the lathe.

By the way, I am not planning on using it for any molds or casting purposes. I have a need inthe shop for one now and recalled the ones in a group buy years ago...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    Must have been 20 years or more ago I picked up a hardwood hammer handle from some hardware store. Flipped it over and drilled out the end and glued in some shot. Drilled the other end and put a leather thong. Works like a charm and I can drop it to hang from my wrist and simply pick it up again by dropping my arm down. Finally had to grind off the epoxy on top since it had cracked up so bad and reapply some this year.
    That's not a bad idea....mine was stolen from my sons playset after the dog chewed up one end.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

I bought a Charles H. Field #4 Providence RI hammer mold at an estate sale back in the 80's. It looks exactly like the Cooks mold and it gets used every couple of years when the hammer head is wider than it is long. It didn't come with handles, but my buddy made a couple SS ones and in return I'll recast the head on his hammer when it needs it. Mines been due for a recast for a while now. With average care the mold should outlast a couple of owners.

Banned
    Here is a video snip of my lead hammer head. Again if anyone wants to make one I will make an instruction video for it.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5nehfs194y...ammer.mp4?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    If you want a small lead hammer, this is what I did:
    First I bought one of these from Harbor Freight: https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-1...mer-69093.html
    Then I took the thin aluminum "cup" from a cheap, dollar store votive candle to use as a mold. Then I placed the proper size bolt in the mold with a washer (the bolt for screwing into the hammer, is metric.) Then before pouring the lead alloy (I used a 23 bhn alloy) into the mold, I rigged something to hold the bolt and washer in place because it floats on the lead when you pour it. It came out real nice. I use it every day. It is my go to hammer. Someday I will have to make another one but this one is still good after over a year's use.
    Oh, when you put the bolt in the mold, it has to be held about half way in.
    If anyone is serious about making one of these I can make a better tutorial or maybe make a video of me making one, since I will eventually need another one anyway.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lead hammer.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	202894I made my own using a copper tee, I think it is a 3/4 tee. I split it length way and couples to back together with hose clamps and capped
    the end with some thin plate and a c-clamp I use a 10" piece of all thread for the handle.
    I hav a 1" tee that I haven't split yet bu it should make a hefty lead hammer.
    Last edited by LenH; 08-30-2017 at 07:45 AM. Reason: add picture

Boolit Master

I was lucky enough to get in on the molds we had floating around here a few years back. I cast 10 large and 10 small heads, by putting a plumbing tee in the mould with the handle attached. When done pouring I removed the handle and made some more. I think I have a lifetime supply. I have used the tin can method to make a few since then with some handles I found at garage sales.