Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: FN-49 on 7x57 Military load?

Boolit Master

FN-49 on 7x57 Military load?

So I managed to have a Venezuelan contract FN-49 follow me home. I've always been careful of what I shoot in my M1 so as not to bend or break something. I plan to be as cautious in my FN-49.

I'm looking for a commercial load at first that mimics the military load. This will get me a bit of range time and some brass to load.

I have no idea what velocity or bullet weight this rifle was designed to use....There are a myriad of options in this caliber from 126gr to 175gr. With and equally broad spread in price.

The rifle has an adjustable gas system so in theory I could get anything to work. I would rather have the correct load to start off with.
    [

Boolit Master
    If the gas system is much like that of the FAL I'd suggest single base propellants only. From what I've read the Australians had problems with double base ball powders in the FN FAL and while test firing some Winchester match grade ammo in an FAL the rims were nearly torn off and none of the cases were reloadable.

Don't know enough about the FN 49 to say if that also applies to that action.

Very nice acquisition. Always has been on my "too be collected" list, but we've never connected. Oddly though, I do have (if memory serves) several 10 rd. boxes of Venezuelan 7mm ammo on 5 rd. stripper clips. Deep in the pile, and haven't actually seen it for several years. I think if I were in your enviable position I'd skip the commercial ammo and just start with a purchase of new brass and work up some satisfactory loads. I'm sure you can find the specs for the military loads as pertains to velocity and pressure. Then consult several manuals and find a load or two that comes close and start there. Buying loaded commercial ammo for the brass is less economical than just starting with the brass. Again, congratulations on a great purchase. The Belgians used their version in the Korean War, whereas other participating nationalities on the UN side were demanding the M1 Garand.

Boolit Master
    I have the same FN. . I have been using for Years 151 GN surplus Bullet FMJ. The load I have been using and works well and good ejection. Is 39 Gn IMR 3031.
    The surplus Bullets are now Unable to find . a Regular 150 Gn would do just as well.
    This rifle is Hard On Brass
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    AbitNutz,

Congradulations on a nice FN M-49 ABL 7MMx57MM Rifle. I have several and shoot them a lot. First, the rifle is "Hard on Brass" for those who do not know how to properly adjust, OR turn OFF, the Gas System.

Remington loads a very good 140 grain factory jacketed load that will cycle your rifle. As you probably know, you can SHUT OFF the gas system by rotating the gas plug at the muzzle from "A" to "B" as I often do and then manually cycle the bolt to eject fired cases. To adjust the gas pressure, it is an easy task that I will cover in a PM, if there is a need.

Adam

Memories! I was hip shooting my FN49 7mm at the river one day long ago and I had a slam fire.
    It must have been a high primer because it fired out of battery and I got a good bit of case head shrapnel under my chin. Not being a quitter I fired it again after first aid. It was pronounced ok by a good gunsmith but I had trust issues after that and sold it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Memories! I was hip shooting my FN49 7mm at the river one day long ago and I had a slam fire.
    It must have been a high primer because it fired out of battery and I got a good bit of case head shrapnel under my chin. Not being a quitter I fired it again after first aid. It was pronounced ok by a good gunsmith but I had trust issues after that and sold it.
    I bet it wasn't a high primer. There is a known issue with FN-49's. They were originally shipped with a one piece firing pin that was prone to problems exactly like you describe. These rifles were not shot very often and soon were scattered to the winds so many of these rifles were not updated to the "fix". Which was a two piece firing pin.

I just looked at my near pristine Venezuelan contract 7x57 and she is sporting the one piece firing pin. Fortunately, I was able to order a two piece from Liberty Tree for $29.00. It should be here any time. I'll not shoot it till I get it. They're really easy to replace and failure to do so may cause a total out of battery discharge....that is really bad news with cartridges as powerful as the 7x57. Heck, it's bad new no matter what the caliber.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    I bet it wasn't a high primer. There is a known issue with FN-49's. They were originally shipped with a one piece firing pin that was prone to problems exactly like you describe. These rifles were not shot very often and soon were scattered to the winds so many of these rifles were not updated to the "fix". Which was a two piece firing pin.

I just looked at my near pristine Venezuelan contract 7x57 and she is sporting the one piece firing pin. Fortunately, I was able to order a two piece from Liberty Tree for $29.00. It should be here any time. I'll not shoot it till I get it. They're really easy to replace and failure to do so may cause a total out of battery discharge....that is really bad news with cartridges as powerful as the 7x57. Heck, it's bad new no matter what the caliber.
    I believe it. If memory serves it doubled and the blowout happened on the last round. I never found the brass other than the pieces in my neck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

First time I've heard of this.
    That's why I love this place - I learn things here.

Thanks!

Uncle R.

Boolit Bub
    I had a beautiful FN-49 in 7x57 a long time ago. I really wish I had kept it, but necessity dictated otherwise. It was extremely accurate with factory ammunition, after I cleaned all the cosmoline out of it. I really liked the way it shot, and the smooth feel of the polished walnut. Quite a rifle.
    I think they are better than the Garand, in many ways, as sacrilegious as that sounds. They are a fine rifle and probably only retired because the quality of manufacture caused them to be too expensive to make.
    I would much prefer one to a FAL, if it was in good condition.
    re

Boolit Buddy
    I searched for loads a while back. I found some on gunboards.com. Remember that internet data should be used with caution.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...57mm-Load-Data
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...ults-THAT-WORK!

Boolit Master
    Back in "the gold olde days" GONRA's Venezuelan contract 7x57 mm Mauser caliber FN-49
    semiauto came directly from the importer with a 2 piece firing pin
    and firing pin interrupter present on top of the bolt.

Shoots great. NO slamfires of course!

Surplus NCNM Venezuelan manufacture 7x57mm Mauser military ammo
    was sold shortly thereafter.
    Last edited by GONRA; 09-02-2017 at 06:48 PM.

I felt the same way about my 8mm FN-49. First thing you need to do is buy one of these.
    https://www.libertytreecollectors.co...idproduct=3161

Back the gas off to the point you know it won't cycle. You can shoot it without the top handguard. Won't hurt a thing. Decide what you want to shoot. I dialed mine in for a starting charge load and a 170g bullet.
    Load several and start shooting. Start closing the gas collar a notch at a time until it cycles. Move one more notch and leave it be. Stick with something in that pressure range and tinker with seating depth and bullet designs until something is accurate enough to make you happy. If your 7mm has a good bore, that will be pretty easy. That cartridge just wants to shoot.

Nice thing about adjustable gas systems....they're adjustable! Keep the gas backed off to where it barely cycles RELIABLY.

The first time I shot mine it tore the rim off the cases and was launching them about 15 yards away at 3 o'clock. Now it cycles perfect and drops them about 5 feet to right. Easy to get my brass back and no more damage.

The FN-49 is a WONDERFUL rifle and one last of the battle rifles with class. It's all plastic after the FN-FAL moved in.

I'm lusting after a Luxembourg contract '49 myself. They were chambered in 30'06.

Take care of that rifle, there weren't many in the first place and MUCH fewer nowadays.

Here's mine along with two of it's sons [fal] and it's third cousin once removed [FN-FNAR]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BS9Zleu.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	203230
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master

Another former Vennie owner (SN 1964). My was sporterized before I got it, ie Fajen stocked, muzzle break removed. I installed a B square scope mount on the the rear sight with a Leupold M8 3x scope. Had a good stock of S&B 140/175 gr loads I got in Germany along with some Hornady 154gr JSPs. Would turn the gas off and use it as a straight pull at the bench. Never did harvest a deer with it before I sold it.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Grand Master

So I managed to have a Venezuelan contract FN-49 follow me home. I've always been careful of what I shoot in my M1 so as not to bend or break something. I plan to be as cautious in my FN-49.

I'm looking for a commercial load at first that mimics the military load. This will get me a bit of range time and some brass to load.

I have no idea what velocity or bullet weight this rifle was designed to use....There are a myriad of options in this caliber from 126gr to 175gr. With and equally broad spread in price.

The rifle has an adjustable gas system so in theory I could get anything to work. I would rather have the correct load to start off with.

I velocity/pressure tested some Venezuelan CAVIM 84 7x57 about 7 - 8 years ago. I would assume it was intended to be used in their FN-49s(?).

It was loaded with a 139 gr FMJBT over 45 gr of an extruded powder. Cases were CAVIM 84 lot #101-01. Primers were boxer type.

The test rifle was a Chilean M95 (22" barrel) in excellent condition with velocity/pressure measured with an Oehler M43. The average muzzle velocity of the 10 shot test string was 2590 fps. The average pressure (M43) was 46,000 psi.

To duplicate I suggest you back the gas adjustment off as NoAngel suggests and develop a load using a 139/140 gr bullet with 4895, 4064 or Varget using the suggested start loads in the Lyman, Sierra, Speer or Hornady manuals. Work up until using a chronograph until you get an average velocity of 2580 - 2600 fps. Then adjust the gas system until it just functions reliably.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla