Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 44 mag devistator vs Lee 310 cast boolit for black bear

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    If I was using full charges of would I be better to mix 50% COWW with 50% pure and add 2-6% tin for a little better weight retention? The rifle likes this boolit with COWW and 2% pewter with a stout load of 24g of w296. With this mix I'm sure it's blowing the hp pedals off and looks like a pencil eraser. Just wanted to get a game plan for myself after/ if JR plunks a bear this weekend. I like how the current mix is mallable and wanted to keep it looking about the same condition or with a little more weight retention at another couple hundred fps for me.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-18-2017 at 10:07 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Just add 2% tin to the COWWs before mixing with lead or 1% after mixing.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

There is a story (true) of a kid shooting a B.B. with 12ga slug, bear got a bite on the kid who had to basically walk to camp to get rescued. A wounded (3 legged) pig gets 100 yds in ~10 sec., bears are faster. 00 do anything but tick them off more?
    Anybody sign up for the bison cull hunt in Grand Canyon?
    Whatever!

I think either way you're going to get 100% energy dump with either bullet on big critters. I've shot hogs extensively with both boolits but nothing over about 200lbs. Devastators rarely exit larger animals and on smaller hogs I'd find the base under the far side skin of the chest, minus the nose which has rolled off. No matter how you slice it, the Devastator will expand violently exactly as it's designed to do. The Lee will of course hang together and will expand in a more controlled manner and hence, is more likely to drive in deep and bust a large bone and keep going. So, 100% dump with deeper penetration, on the likes of a bear I'd be going for the Lee.

We are hunting tomorrow afternoon through Sunday. I'll post pics if we are successful. The average Wisconsin black bear harvested weighs 150lbs. I'm hoping we beat the average by a landslide. There have been some 4-500 plus pounders (I've been told) that have been harvested last week durring the "dog runners only" opener. It rotates every year...next years it's sitters the first week, then dogs. I'll never understand why they don't allow sitting the first week every hear and then dogs after. Once the dogs run it screws everything up for sitters in the area.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-14-2017 at 10:30 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    shot a bear up near Winter that weighed 435#
    been on the trail with dogs as well to much commotion for my liking
    going to be a hot one
    good luck
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I shot one in Winter the day after the dreaded 9/11 with dogs that went 250. We harvested 13 bear that year and mine was the biggest. I was grateful to the houndsmen for their help and knowledge and learned that dog hunting has its place but it's not for me and if I wanted a big bear I needed to sit over bait. The houndsmen said they rarely tree a bear over the 250 mark, anything bigger gets bayed on the ground and the dogs get tore up till or if the hunter gets there in time for a shot. I didn't feel like I was the hunter...just there to shoot what was ever in the tree and I didn't have the right to refuse if it was small. My last time was in Rib Lake seven years ago I harvested a boar that was 7'1" and 350lbs...over bait... which is where we are headed back to today. I'm sitting on 7 points hopefully next year I'll get drawn again.

I've bear hunted in Canada twice. I was an excited kid and got buck fever and missed the first trip. The second time I arrowed a 19 3/16". The guide said they didn't own a scale. It was 7'6" I'm guessing in the high five hundred pound range.

If I had to choose(like its an option,lol)I would give up deer hunting to hunt bear every year. It's more rewarding,relaxing,and enjoyable...and the meat tastes a thousand times better than whitetail. I didn't know if I was going with today or not. I contracted lyme's disease over a month ago while baiting. The bulls eyes didn't show up on my body till last Sunday. I've been on antibiotics since I was diagnosed Monday. I feel well enough and will videoing the hunt for him.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-15-2017 at 08:59 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am close in points I have 6
    I get it about just hunting bear I just love it
    the meat is the best I have had bar none
    best of luck and stay safe
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Three days on stand and no sightings. Guess we will have to see if one shows next weekend to try out my boolits

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	204224I have baiting for kid and they shut down the later part of the week. This is a sow but a darn nice bear just the same.

I'm wondering if the 90 degree temps shut them down? I had bear coming to the bait from 11am, 12:30pn, 2:30pm, 4:30pm, just before dark, and from dark till 2 am. They shut off for us on camera the week before last week as well. Only had one bear on camera at 5 pm...around 350lbs. I have last weeks chip I just brought home to see what happened on bait site number two. I figured it was either the change in weather or they heard or smelled us. It was hard keeping a 12 year old still and silent, but all and all he did a good job most of the time.

Boolit Grand Master
    my guess is the weather
    to hot coming after dark
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

With record high temps coming this weekend we are waiting till it cools down towards the end of next week to hunt again.

Heading back tomorrow morning. I loaded up 15 extra rounds with the 14.3 BH devistators. I figured both boolits will kill a bear but might have him shoot the harder boolit just in case.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-29-2017 at 11:53 AM.

No bear showed up to test the boolits out. I think ill be looking for a new spot when I get drawn. I was fortunate enough to take a bear there last time I was lucky enough to get a tag but it took 11 days of sitting in a tree stand to see one...the one I shot. We spent over a week in a stand and didn't see a bear. I miss canada hunting...averaging 3-4 bear a day. Well, season ends in wisonsin on Tuesday for dogs and next tuesday for sitting. If anyone has any last-minute ideas to get a 12 year old a bear in zone A let me know. Years go I did a bobcat hunt up north with dogs that was a no kill, no pay. Wondering if anyone offers something like that for bear?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-02-2017 at 09:13 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123