Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Storing a scale

Storing a scale

I have an rcbs 505. Got the box it came back in from sending it to rcbs for a revamp. So, it rattles round in the box...on the shelf, in between uses. I am thinking it'd be neat to make 2 things for it.

First, a foam padded box that would actually protect it if I took it on the road for a mobile kit. Each part would be easily accessed and separated for quick set up. Got any ideas? I like the 10-10... but this is what I have and IM poor.

Second is a separate spot for it, away from any bumping or hammering so I could keep it set up with a cover over it. Would it do any damage to it over time staying set up, provided it wasnt on the bench with all the commotion?

Thanks for the advice.

~Bazoo

Boolit Grand Master

As long as there is no vibrations in the permanant setting then it should be fine To leave it set up. When set up vibrations, bumps, and jars will slowly work on the knife edges of the beam. As to the "travel" storage box its a good idea and would not be to hard to do. A nice hardwood box with foam liner and felt covering for the individual pieces would be a nice project. Would offer a lot of protection to the scales. I like to check a reassembled scales with check weights to insure accuracy is still there. Not a big issue and the travel case could be set up for the scales and the check weights both. Also when using these beam scales outside breezes affect them a lot so the case may be made so it can be set on its side and the scales set in it as a shield from these breezes / winds. Another nice addition to a scales is a leveling plate for under them. allows for the surface to be leveled for the scales keeping it in its mid point adjustment for best accuracy

Boolit Grand Master

Easy to make a case with an old hard carry case and foam. Simply cut out the outline of the pieces. You will also have room for other stuff in the case if you want. I used a large salesman's case for my complete reloading kit minus press when I only loaded for three cartridges. Components were not included, but power scale (yes, a 505 then), RCBS powder measure, Lee trim kit, dies, etc. were all included. I would set up on a table to load and put everything away when done. Did that for years.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    A shoe box works well.:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZcPYNqA.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	202561

The magnetic damper area on these scales needs close inspection once in a while for ferris metal particles that will build up and cause accuracy problems,The particles will stick to the magnet on the arm an then rub on the scale frame.

Good Shooting

Lindy

Boolit Buddy
    The foam filled shoe box looks great for traveling. For everyday use/storage you need a eye high shelf on the wall in front of your powder measure. Both could be done very cheaply.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you." Joe Heller

Thanks for the tip Lindy.

Boolit Master
    Lindy's tip is a good one. Also, check for dust accumulation in the beam fulcrum which can also cause inaccuracy.

Boolit Buddy
    I keep my scales set up, on shelves, eye level. My chargemaster and PACT are also on separate shelves, at eye level and easy to drain. Dust is an issue since I tumble in my reloading room(getting ready to change that practice) so I just lay a piece of saran wrap over the scales when not in use. I use the Redding oil dampened scales. I also have a 10-10 and a slew of LSS. I'm a little overstocked on scales :-/

Boolit Master
    My RCBS scale is housed in one of those after market plastic shoe boxes, to keep it dust free. When in use, it sits on the top of the now empty box.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Winelover, be sure that there is no static from that plastic box skewing the reading on the scale.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    Winelover, be sure that there is no static from that plastic box skewing the reading on the scale.
    Never been a issue. Use the manual scale, just to check that the Chargemaster is dropping the right charge.

Winelover