MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pop Up Blinds, anyone have experience?

Moderator Emeritus

Pop Up Blinds, anyone have experience?

I can no longer climb a tree for deer hunting so need to hide at ground level. I was looking at the larger popup blinds(I am 5'11" need head room) and am disabled(bad back/knees/hips) so need easy entry/exit. I have a spot close to a road the deer use as a highway in a local wildlife refuge(they are open to hunting) where I can setup each day. Going to be bow(crossbow) hunting from it.

How hard are they to setup/tear down? Weight isn't a huge issue but lighter the better. I might be solo or I might have a friend with so need room for 2 to sit. As mentioned the door needs to be easy to get in and out of without contortions because I do not flex well anymore!

And how are they with wind? Spot I am scouting is mostly protected but 50mph winds in fall are common...

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I just set up a double bull predator green ground blind for my buddies kid to hunt black bear with. 3, 6'2 adults and a kid will fit fine in it. I'll be filming might offer my 77/44 and some cast boolits to him. I've sat four in it turkey hunting just a little tight. Quick pop up like a tent and you can tie all the corners to sourounding trees and it comes with tent stakes. Don't think any ground blind will withstand 50 mph winds. Had turkeys and deer walk within touching distance with the predator tan camo.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-23-2017 at 10:29 PM.

Banned
    MaryB,

You cannot get something that WORKS properly, that will set up/tear down easily, is light to pack in/out, isn't noisy & isn't much bothered by wind.

IF I wanted a "ground-bound" stand for 2-3, I'd look at "the BIG tree stump blind" BUT those are $$$$$$$$ & semi-permanent. Nonetheless, you get what you pay for.
    (ImVho, the "pop-up blinds" are an answer to a question that shouldn't have been asked.)

I'd save my $$$$$$ for something much better, if I were you.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 08-23-2017 at 10:30 PM. Reason: grammar

Boolit Grand Master

On a wildlife refuge it likely cannot stay there over 24 hours or so. I have a small pop-up blind and have been disappointed in it, seems its always windy when I want to use it and I never seem to see anything when I sit in it. I'd rather use natural cover, generally easy enough to drag together some brush and use it to break up your outline.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Why not make, or have made, something like this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5x5-Trailer-Hunting-Outfitter-Blind-in-Texas.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	202519
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    On a wildlife refuge it likely cannot stay there over 24 hours or so. I have a small pop-up blind and have been disappointed in it, seems its always windy when I want to use it and I never seem to see anything when I sit in it. I'd rather use natural cover, generally easy enough to drag together some brush and use it to break up your outline.
    Pop ups work best when you can leave them in place for a week or two so they can get used to it being there. Sometimes you get lucky and a transient deer comes by, or one gets pushed in your direction, so all's not lost. Best to setup at a right angle to a crossroad so the deer can't see the blind until they're in range.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Banned
    OMEGA; MaryB,

I would vote for that, as I don't climb well anymore. = BAD knees & WORSE ankles.
    Also, I happen to have an old boat trailer frame (that the PO gave me as "junk") that would work as the base for a nice-sized rolling blind.

Add some 4x8 plywood, the tops of 2-3 office swivel chairs, hammer/nails/screwdrivers/screws, a cooler for drinks, a thermos of coffee, sandwiches, some OD-green/flat black paint & some fun hours of woodworking/puttering about & you're done.

yours, tex

Boolit Master

Omega has your answer. I have an inexpensive, small dome shaped ground blind. It looks a lot like an igloo. It came from Bass Pro. It is not bad to take down. It is more difficult to set up. With mine the inner metal support structure wants to articulate in the wrong direction. I have to keep my mind about me when setting it up. I usually have to stand on some of the arms to keep them going the right way. Once you get it going, it straightens itself out and goes up fairly easy. I stake it down on the four corners and I also tie two or three sides to a nearby tree with rope and that really helps stabilize it. There is an eye bolt in the center of each side for that purpose. I usually leave it set up for two or three weeks during turkey season. I have to say it works pretty well and the turkeys and deer are not bothered by it in the least. Having a deer pass by within 5 yards is a fairly common occurrence during turkey season. They never do that during deer season for some reason. Ha. I find they work and are very handy to get you where the game are likely to be. Having said all that, I think the small trailer idea is tops and I would recommend you consider that.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Not a popup but year before last I was out dove hunting and tried one of those concealment blinds with the sticks and camo about chest high you set up and sit behind. Tucked it into a notch in the treeline so I could see both ways. During a lul a doe walked around the corner and looked right at me no more than 30 foot away. She did not know what to make of things.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I'll take a pic of the one we put up last weekend and post it. We are going up north to check the baits Friday so I can snap a photo

Boolit Buddy
    I tried the pop up blinds for a short time. My opinion is it is an answer looking for a problem. All you need to do is sit quietly at the base of a tree and you will see deer. No ind needed. Use some natural cover around your position.

Banned
    One thing though I have found with them if you set up under the tree canopy the dew falling off branches sounds like hitting a drum on some of those popups.

Boolit Master
    Attachment 202525

Ameristep Caretaker, it is a bit tight to get in the door, pretty stable in winds if you stake it out with real tent stakes instead of the supplied wire ones. Practice setting it up and taking it down before you try it in the dark. I set mine up and leave it for the season. Room enough for two, expansive for one. Be careful of your limb placement for shooting a crossbow.

Boolit Master
    These are the ones I've been using since the early 90's. I like them so well, I have two. Watch the videos on this site.

http://www.luckyshuntingblinds.com/G...s-Ubly-MI.html

When I hunted in Michigan, on leased land, I set them up and tore them down each weekend. Piece of cake, to set up. Takes only a few minutes. Now that I have my own acreage, I set them up @ Labor Day and take them down the end of February. Arkansas bow season is almost 6 months long. The fabric has held up amazingly well, no fading, rotting or tears. The original one does have a couple of broadheads holes from when the wife was bowhunting in it. No worse for wear. They have been subjected to rain, snow, sleet and hail and high winds, over the 5 years I've been in Arkansas.

Attachment 202526

This is a pix of the original tent blind. The second one I bought was a little larger. Called the Texas Special, at that time. Has larger windows and permanent screens to each side for a wider view.

Winelover

Pb ingots make good ground weights.
    Tie a cord to them or paint them bright so they don't get lost.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    We use 2 pop up blinds every deer season. They stay up from Oct till Jan. Work like a charm. Sometimes they are noisy to get into or out of but so is walking to the stand. Most brands just "pop up" but then we stake ours in place. If you decide to buy one pick up a swivel chair as well.

But if you have to set it up every day I would pass and just work on building a decent ground blind and going back to the same spot every day.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Check out ghost blinds, basically mirrors angled away from the hunter so it reflects whats on the ground. My brother bought one, it really impressed me.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Buddy

I've used a small Ameristep "teePee" for quite a few years. I go in the day before and set up. Next day I bring a small bag chair to sit in. Sometimes I cut small branches to lay against the sides to break up the outline. I like it, deer never notice me.

Vendor Sponsor

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Ameri...MIQg&gclsrc=ds

put it up as soon as possible (not out in the open) and leave it till end of season within a month deer will be used to it and you will be fine
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    Hub style blinds are easier to set up and don't flap in the wind as bad. Make sure that you get textured fabric and not the smooth fabric used on many cheaper blinds. The smooth fabric will reflect the sun.