RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Question about power connector from old PC to use on a PID

Boolit Master

Question about power connector from old PC to use on a PID

I'm almost ready to start building PID... just have a few more things coming from Mouser before I begin. I even found the nibblers that I bought in 1974 to cut a rectangular hole in the dash my my 65 Mailbu SS .

The question is about the old PC power supply that I will use for my project box, if everything will fit. I want to use the existing power cord and the outlet that's attached to the box. I just noticed that the outlet has a couple of components soldered to it (blue capacitors?) that I didn't expect to see.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	202516Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	202515

Does anyone know what they are for, and whether I can/should remove them?

One more thing -- it seems that K Type 0-800 100mm thermocouples have been hard to find. I ordered one from Amazon but I won't have it until 2-3 weeks after I complete the PID. I also ordered a couple from Ebay (inexpensive) that are scheduled to arrive even later. I have even looked for 0-600C types since 600C would still be within range, but the only ones I've found are 50mm long, much shorter than I want (100mm+). Anyone have an old one they don't need?

Thanks

Randy
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

FWIW, probably not much, but I'd remove the capacitors were it me.

Far as TC's I suppose they're mostly made in China but I just tossed a ebay TC that only was used maybe 3 times max. However the 2 I bought from Auber's have seen a lot of use without a hitch this far. I used the 6" ones and made a holder to keep them the 1/2" from both side of the pot and the bottom. Their service is excellent but you get what you pay for. And if you're going to hook the TC to a panel/jack system I think they'll install the male plug for an extra buck.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Bub
    Please check the actual wire gage of the power cord that you are planning on using. Some of them are only 18 ga. and might not handle the current necessary for a casting pot.

Banned
    It's a little hard to tell from your photo but it appears those capacitors are on the ground lug of that connector. They are probably there to help the chassis act as a shield. I would just remove them.

Those style connectors are extremely popular so you shouldn't have a problem locating cords and sockets if you need spares however, as ChuckO pointed out; they're not all rated equally.

Also note that the plugs are polarized so that there is a specific pin for ground, neutral and hot (one of the reasons that style socket & plug is used on that type of computer equipment). Wire it accordingly.

IF you decide the connector is not capable of handling the load; a length of SJ cord, a heavy duty plug and appropriate hardware at the chassis will do the job nicely. All of those components are available at hardware stores, Lowes, etc.

Good Luck

ADMIN

You can keep that plug in place.
    You can get a computer power supply that plugs directly into that connector.
    They make them in different lengths. Some as long as 10 feet.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the answers. I just checked the outlet and found that it's rated for 15A, and the cord is 10A, so I should be good for power in.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Bub
    just noticed that the outlet has a couple of components soldered to it (blue capacitors?) that I didn't expect to see.
    Those are most likely Transient Voltage Suppressors. They are there to prevent voltage spikes from entering the unit, those will probably clamp at 130 volts.
    Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2