Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: What bullets for a Marlin 1895SS Microgrove barrel?

Boolit Buddy

What bullets for a Marlin 1895SS Microgrove barrel?

Hey guys,

I picked up a Marlin 1895SS today that has the microgrove barrel. Nice rifle, but I am wondering what cast bullets in the 300gr to 420gr range might work that you all have used. Funny thing, you would think with it being a 1895SS that is should be stainless, but nope, it is blue steel.

Thanks for any help,
    Greg
    NRA Life Member
    "Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety." - Ben Franklin, 1776
    Vis Sis Mis!

Boolit Master
    Edmond, Oklahoma - that's N. of the Red River
    Greg,

Your Marlin should shoot lead boolits just great with that MG barrel. I suggest you look at www.ranchdogmolds.com He designs his mold to drop boolits specifically for the Marlin barrels and chambers. With microgrooves and heavy boolits, remember speed is your friend.

Dave

Boolit Master
    I have a Marlin 1895 with a micro groove barrel that I have shoot lots of cast through in the 23 years I have owned it. My favorit boolit for it is the RCBS 45-325-FN. That and 29 gr of AA 5744 is the load I shoot most. It is not a hot load rather pleasant to shoot and kills deer well. I use the same boolit and 45 gr of 3031 for elk in heavy cover. I have also used the Lyman 405 gr FP slug and 42 gr of 3031 for elk as well but I prefer the lighter boolit.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys,

I checked out the Ranchdog molds, they look cool. I figure I will get them both when he gets the other back in stock so I can try them.

Nick,

I will take a look at the RCBS mold too, about the only time I will be able to hunt with it will be if I go back home to Kentucky as we have to use pistol or shotgun up here in Ohio. But I try to put in for the elk draw every year back home even if I would have to get a loan to afford it!

Greg
    NRA Life Member
    "Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety." - Ben Franklin, 1776
    Vis Sis Mis!

Boolit Buddy
    SS is for "Sporting" (2/3 mag.) and "Safety" (cross bolt safety) Mine is from the 80`s has the later MG barrel ( 8 instaed of 12 grooves? ) Very accurate with the Lyman or RCBS bullets in 325-350 gr. range.

Boolit Buddy
    Chuck,

Thanks for clearing up what the SS means. That makes sense now that I understand it. How do you tell what year range the rifle is from? Is there a list somewhere that give dates to when what SN was made?

Greg
    NRA Life Member
    Vis Sis Mis!

Hi, I don't know all Marlin's serial numbering systems, letter prefixes and all, but for model 1895 it's been generally so that subtracting first two digits in serial number from 2000 gives you the manufacturing year... 2000-12 is made in 1988, 2000-08 is made in 1992 etc. Iffin made after year 2000 subtract from 2100...

Boolit Man
    ...Greg,

...Go to marlinowners.com, and you will find a section on how to find the age of your Marlin.

...old goat