Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: .476" sizer die for 480 Ruger?

Boolit Buddy

.476" sizer die for 480 Ruger?

Assuming my new Lipsey's 4-5/8" SS 480 Ruger Bisley has proper throat/cylinder dimensions are correct is the .476" RCBS sizer die all i'll need? If not where are caster's getting different dimensioned sizer dies? I realize not all metal formulas will size to the proper sized diameter with just a .476" sizer die.

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

That's the size I use for my 480 Ruger and it shoots well

Banned

ive loaded 475 linebaughs and 480s for over 20 years and the only sizer ive ever used is a .476. Most guns in those calibers are cut with proper dimensions and ive yet to find one that needed larger bullets. As a matter of fact some one of my linebaugh built guns and my FA would even chamber bullets any bigger without a lot of force. Lots of things can effect accuracy. Bullet design, sectional density, alloy, powder type and charge, primer and I can go on and on but before id bother with a different sized sizer die with that round id eliminate the rest because chances are a different sizer isn't going to help.

Boolit Buddy
    And thus the my world continues unabated.....thanks guys!

Boolit Mold

I just got my RCBS .476 sizer die and a Lyman top punch that I am going to turn on my lathe to remove the outer edge, just leaving the punch totally flat. I also am going to cast some 400gr Lee 476-400-RF boolits out of Lyman #2 this weekend. I imagine they will work as well as LBT 420gr boolits I have been using from Montana Bullet Works and the RCBS 400gr boolits from Wyoming Bullets. (I just started casting last weekend).

I have both a Ruger SRH in 480 (7.5") and a Ruger SBH (6.5") in 480, and the .476 boolits mentioned above pushed through my cylinders with little or no hand pressure. My bore on the SRH slugged .4753" and the SBH at .4756". I fire-lapped both revolvers to a mirror shine and have had absolutely no leading with plain base boolits at near max loads with Lil Gun and Win 296. I also did my own trigger jobs and installed trigger, hammer and hammer dog shims w/ Wolff springs in the SRH. The SRH shoots 5-shot 1 hole groups at 25yds and shoots to point of aim. My Super Blackhawk shoots 2" groups at best at 25 yds and even with the rear sight cranked all the way up it still shoots 5" high. I need to look into a different rear sight. Hamilton Bowen sells some and hopefully I can get the SBH to shoot lower. I don't want to go below 400gr boolits. I'm having so much fun with that SRH I haven't spent much time with the SBH. The SBH also whacks the **** out of my middle finger of my shooting hand, so I might try to make some oversized Bisley grips this winter. Hopefully yours will be good right out of the box. Both are keepers but I just need to dial in the SBH. Enjoy the 480! A reloaders dream!
    ABS Apprentice Bladesmith
    USMC Veteran
    VFW Life Member

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
    Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
    Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulmaduro View Post
    I just got my RCBS .476 sizer die and a Lyman top punch that I am going to turn on my lathe to remove the outer edge, just leaving the punch totally flat. I also am going to cast some 400gr Lee 476-400-RF boolits out of Lyman #2 this weekend. I imagine they will work as well as LBT 420gr boolits I have been using from Montana Bullet Works and the RCBS 400gr boolits from Wyoming Bullets. (I just started casting last weekend).

I have both a Ruger SRH in 480 (7.5") and a Ruger SBH (6.5") in 480, and the .476 boolits mentioned above pushed through my cylinders with little or no hand pressure. My bore on the SRH slugged .4753" and the SBH at .4756". I fire-lapped both revolvers to a mirror shine and have had absolutely no leading with plain base boolits at near max loads with Lil Gun and Win 296. I also did my own trigger jobs and installed trigger, hammer and hammer dog shims w/ Wolff springs in the SRH. The SRH shoots 5-shot 1 hole groups at 25yds and shoots to point of aim. My Super Blackhawk shoots 2" groups at best at 25 yds and even with the rear sight cranked all the way up it still shoots 5" high. I need to look into a different rear sight. Hamilton Bowen sells some and hopefully I can get the SBH to shoot lower. I don't want to go below 400gr boolits. I'm having so much fun with that SRH I haven't spent much time with the SBH. The SBH also whacks the **** out of my middle finger of my shooting hand, so I might try to make some oversized Bisley grips this winter. Hopefully yours will be good right out of the box. Both are keepers but I just need to dial in the SBH. Enjoy the 480! A reloaders dream!
    Try turning your rear sight down. Unless you had a typo. Lowering rear sight or raising front sight makes bullets hit lower.