RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Federal Red Paper 12ga. Hulls: Clays or Unique OK?

Question Federal Red Paper 12ga. Hulls: Clays or Unique OK?

I found a small no. of Federal red paper (8 pt. crimp) hulls the other day at the range and would like to reload them with target loads just to see if it's possible. The only 2 shotgun powders I have are Clays (original) and Unique + Win. #209 primers. I also have quite a few Lage UniWads. some Rem. 1 oz. wads, and orange Claybuster 1 - 1 1/8 oz. wads. Both the Lage & Claybusters fit the paper hulls nicely; i.e., they're a slip fit. For 1 oz. or more likely, 1 1/8oz. #7 1/2 shot, what would a safe target load of Clays be? Unique?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Boolit Master
    Time to regroup and find data for the Fed. papers, it's everywhere as they are still made and used esp. by serious trap shooters, they have more capacity than most plastics and require dif. components and charges. Factory loads used to use the Fed. 12 C1, a 2 pc. wad, and not the 12S3, this may have changed but you have to be careful as wrong components can result in very inconsistent ignition, and all that goes with it.

Boolit Master

Go here
    http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/shotgun
    Select 12 gauge
    Select Federal Paper
    Select "Get Data"
    Three sections will come up
    First will be 7/8 ounce
    Below it and you will have to click the + will be 1 ounce
    and under it 1 1/8 ounce.
    Decide on what you want to do
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    I have several bags of the LAGE - UNIWADS and I think they had load data printed on the back with R-Dot, 700X and probably Unique. If you want me to look send me a PM and I will try to find them, packed away somewhere in the loading shed!

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Federal Paper hulls were the first shells I ever reloaded. The guy in charge of the trap and skeet club started me out on the Federal (champion) Paper hull, some WAA12 white wads, red dot powder with about 18 grains and 1-1/8 oz of reclaimed shot. I can look up the load data from some old Hercules powder books I have if you want the specifics, just PM me. Here I am loading some of these hulls with some Green Dot for some nice field loads.

Thumbs up

Thanks to all as I now have more than enough loading data. And a big thank you to skeet for recommending this site: http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/shotgun as it is well worth studying!

Boolit Master

I use Unique and WAA12 wads.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    Thanks to all as I now have more than enough loading data. And a big thank you to skeet for recommending this site: http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/shotgun as it is well worth studying!

Maven, be sure you visit this site also, http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders
    for loads with red, green dot, herco, blue dot and other powders from the Alliant Powder Company.

Thanks for that link, MOA!

Anytime Maven. I have original Hercules load books going back to 1980.
    Here is the Unique load data:

Page 11.

3 Dram load
    Federal paper target shells
    1-1/8 oz. Lead
    Fed 209A
    WWAA12 (white) Wad
    21 grains of Unique

If a CCI 109 primer is used instead of the Federal, powder is 22 grains.

(THE CURRENT LOAD DATA FROM ALLIANT DOES NOT SHOW ANY LOAD DATA USING A CCI PRIMER AT ALL NOW)

I'm not sure if CCI still makes the 109 anymore. The old book data and the new Alliant data shows both the old Federal primer 209, and the new Federal primer 209A are interchangable with this specific load.

Thumbs up

MOA, All I have is Win. 209 primers and different wads than most manuals list. In view of that, I don't think I'd use more than 20.5gr. Unique. Thanks again for your help, MOA as I greatly appreciate it!l