Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: disappointed in Marlin......

disappointed in Marlin......

Received a new Marlin 1895 45/70 for birthday, went to range and fired 2 shots, came home and put in safe. A few days later was going to the range again so got in safe, picked up rifle and opened action to check (habit), went to close action, would not close. Tried again, heard something hit the floor. Looked down, piece of metal, looked like wing off the ejector. Sure enough, took bolt out and rest of ejector came out. I had sent the warranty card in, so called Marlin in NC. The guy I got was rude and condescending in asking me questions about what was wrong with the rifle. By the time I was done, I was told rifle would have to be scheduled to be picked up by UPS at my house, could not take to UPS up the street even though would be packaged the same, had a work order from Marlin, and an address. And higher blood pressure!! Went to computer, got online and ordered a Bear Proof extractor from Brownells. Rifle was back in business in 2 days. I am going to send the ejector pieces, along with their work order to tell them what was wrong. We will see if I at least get a new ejector! I love the rifle, don't get me wrong, but their customer service needs some work, IMO.

rmcc

Boolit Grand Master

Title should read "disappointed in Remington....". They aren't the same company since they were bought up.

Boolit Grand Master

One of my first upgrades to all my Marlins. Justbout of habit is suppose.

Boolit Master
    If you let them know you fixed it BY BY warranty for future repairs.
    Aaron

Boolit Bub
    Reading this and some of the other posts is making me sick! I ordered a 1895 Marlin Guide Gun recently. They had a nice rebate going, and the comments on the seller's site seemed to indicate that things were better.

When I got to my dealer's shop to pick it up, we opened the box and the forearm had a pretty obvious crack in it. We got the ok to send it back and hopefully the next one is ok.

Boolit Buddy
    Must be a hit and miss sort of deal.
    Mine seems to be fine. Looks good, shoots straight, as far as I can tell.
    I only have 8 rounds through it so far, but as of now, it is as advertised.

Yep it a hit or miss..runnin 50-50 on 6 so far (that I help take care of). Still no where near the quality as the true JM Marlins.

Boolit Buddy
    I guess I was lucky. I bought a new Remlin 94 in 45 colt and liked it well enough to get a 95 CB in 45/70. The wood finish isn't as nice on the 94 as my older JMs but wood to metal fit is good. I've run 400+ rounds of my reloads through it and it's a very accurate carbine. I took a rasp to the fore end on the 95 and shaped it like it should have come from the factory, sanded,refinished it and the butt stock. I've put almost 200 rounds of cast through it and am very happy with it also. Shouldn't have to refinish a new gun but not a bad price with the $100 rebate on the 95 plus the $75 on the 94.

Moderator Emeritus

It increasingly looks like Rem. is run by accountants, and NOT by real gun-makers! (sigh) Is there nothing that liberalism and Harvard Business School can't destroy????

Boolit Grand Master

I bought a used Remlin 1895 in 45-70 a year or so ago, no complaints other than the ugly wood. Fit, finish and function is excellent. It even shoots on a par with my JM Guide Gun and that's saying something. In the interests of full disclosure I'm a pretty hard-core Winchester collector and not a Marlin (or Remington) fanboy by any stretch of the imagination. I really hope Remington gets it's act together but the jury's still out on that, it seems. I dealt with their "service" center in the course of the 597 recall a little while back and I'll just call it unpleasant and leave it at that. I had a similar difficulty with the FN/Browning service center but eventually got things straightened out.
    Quite honestly I found the early reports of Remlin barrels not being indexed correctly gun hard to believe and then I saw one on a used gun rack, then another. Still pretty hard to believe but there they were. I'm reading Brophy's Marlin book and I'm learning about the company/companies that used to be. Just like Winchester, that company is gone. Little other than the names and some darn good firearms remain.
    Last edited by TXGunNut; 08-23-2017 at 10:17 PM.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I recently did a trade for a NIB .45-70 stainless guide gun with the full length mag tube and the big lever. This is the one with the checkered grey laminated stock and XS sight rail and ghost ring aperture sight. The wood to metal finish is good and the metal finish itself is also good. I was working out of town away from my loading bench so I bought some Winchester 300 grain HP loads at Wally World. From a rest at 40 yards the first 3 rounds were a clover leaf at 1 o'clock. After tinkering with the fiddly little sight adjustment screws I had the same group right where I wanted it after 6 more rounds. The trigger was very good, and my only complaint is that the edges of the finger lever are so square and sharp that it drew blood on two fingers operating it. It's going to get wrapped with buckskin just like my SASS lever guns. I just cast up a nice batch of Lyman 457193 boolits in 1:20 alloy and I lubed them with Black Powder Gold and will work up a Trapdoor load to 1,350 or so to avoid beating myself to death. So, I guess I'm a satisfied customer, but I realize that it's the luck of the draw these days. GF

Banned

I will never understand how Remington can put out these steaming piles with CNC, modern facilities, dimensional computer generated plans etc, whereas the J Marlins were much closer to hand made/fitted and were worth buying.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    I will never understand how Remington can put out these steaming piles with CNC, modern facilities, dimensional computer generated plans etc, whereas the J Marlins were much closer to hand made/fitted and were worth buying.
    I've wondered that myself. I don't know much about the machinery but I feel certain they have the capability to build some pretty awesome rifles. I know it takes more than that but it's a shame, all that equipment and nobody seems to care.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

It is a shame that with all the tech we have now and the ability to make precision products, we have all the examples of just plain poor quality workmanship!! Before it gets better, we are going to have to find people that give a damn and take pride in their work! I got mine as a gift but the other 2 bought a rifle like mine and one with a 22" barrel. I don't know whether to go ahead and order 2 more ejectors to have on hand or not. I put all the pieces in an envelope and sent them and a letter to Marlin. Hopefully they will at least send me a new ejector. Not holding my breath on that one! Thanks for the comments guys. Will keep you updated what I hear from Marlin.

rmcc

Banned

at least your phone number worked.
    the one I had in the Remington owners manual for a Remington shotgun in the Remington case made in 2009 had been disconnected already.
    finally tracked one [Ph.#] down and they had zero parts for my gun.

luckily I found the importer [after another 42 phone calls] and got a part from Italy.
    you know your company is screwed up when you can't even get the Italians or Turks to make guns for you anymore.

Boolit Master
    Mine arrived without the hammer spur (that offset hammer thingy) in the box. A quick, and nice, email to Remlin resulted in one in my mailbox a week later. They asked for my SN but other than that, no problem....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by joatmon View Post
    If you let them know you fixed it BY BY warranty for future repairs.
    Aaron
    Not so! They may say that your repair will void any warrenty but when push comes to shove they would have to show that your repair CAUSED damage to the gun or other parts. You do not have to put up with carp like that.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I bought a 2nd hand 2010 MR prefix B suffix 1895G 45-70.
    Its a 3" rifle , loads from angry 45 Colts all the way up to it's not fun any more Lever gun loads and assorted bullets from 225 on up to 417gr .

God's honest truth , the fit and finish and function is better on the 2013 and 80 something Rossi 92's .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Sad part is that there are enough problems right here on this site that clearly shows there is a Q/C problem at Marlin!

Boolit Buddy
    I ran across a new 30/30 in a pawn shop last week that had the same exact problem, the rifle appeared to be NEW wouldnt close when I opened action extractor piece fell out. Go figure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast