Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Henry Big Boy 327 Federal Magnum

Boolit Buddy

Henry Big Boy 327 Federal Magnum

We finally got a Henry 327 Mag Big Boy. Very pleased with it so far; fit, finish, action smoothness, etc. Just a solid, quality piece from end to end. One of the first things I wanted to find out was the range of what ammunition it would handle. I made up dummy rounds in 32 S&W Long and 327 Federal Magnum and did some basic function testing. I didn't want anything you have to "jiggle" to get to feed, etc; we wanted smooth function from the magazine. The32 S&W Long wadcutters will not feed from the magazine but a 32 S&W Long with a 95 grain FN bullet, overall length of 1.16" it works great and very smooth. Increasing the length gradually to 1.539" OAL where it started dragging a bit loading. At 1.548", it did not want to lift smoothly. So any load from 1.150" to 1.530" OAL, it feeds perfectly. FYI, every 32 mag I tried worked perfectly as they were all between these two lengths. The two rounds in the picture show the shortest and longest it feeds perfectly.

We then took our GP100 (4.2" barrel), GP on the chart, out to shoot some rounds over the chronograph with the Henry (20" barrel) for comparison. The chart below shows velocity and energy averages for our first samples. We only shot a handful of rounds but it will give you an idea of the performance you can expect. Next week we hope to do some accuracy testing so it will have bigger samples. The 100 grain SP is the standard Federal Factory load. The 113 FPGC is a store-bought cast bullet. The Lyman is self explanatory. The NOE sized at 0.313 is consistently the most accurate bullet out of the GP100 and Blackhawk I have tried so far. It likes some velocity to get the best accuracy. Being a 32 caliber 120 grain bullet it has good sectional density at .176. We will update this when we do some accuracy testing.

Last edited by saleen322; 09-12-2017 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Replace 100 HP with SP

Boolit Master

Awesome review ! Those are some impressive numbers for that little cartridge. I'm not a fan of Henry rifles but the 327 caught my eye!
    Nice work!

Boolit Master
    Is that 100 gr hp the gold dot load? I've always felt the Federal American Eagle 100 gr JSP is one of the hottest factory loadings. Do you mind revealing your powder choice on your reloads?
    I've got the carbine and is a good shooter. I only load 327 and H&R mag loads and mine cycles all of them. I've had a little issue with cases slipping between the bolt and elevator when not ejecting them with the lever, especially if the muzzle is pointed up. In normal operation I have 0 issues.

Great review and data, thanks!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Is that 100 gr hp the gold dot load?
    No. It's the standard 100 FP load. I meant soft point but put HP by mistake.
    Last edited by saleen322; 09-12-2017 at 09:39 PM.