Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are they no longer sharp...Driving bands

Why are they no longer sharp...Driving bands

Been casting for the last 3 days..Mold started spitting out boolits that had the driving bands a little soft/not crisp. Cleaned the mold very well and it's still happening. Alloy temp is 700-750. I added 1% tin to the WW mix and they started good but then went to pot! Tried a different mold...Same thing. It's almost like the leading edge of the bands look slightly frosted as compared to the rest of the boolits. I keep my NOE 200gr SWC molt at around 440 deg. It seems to like it hot or so I thought. Funny too is the whole boolit looks pretty good except those leading edges.

Looking forward to any suggestion. Funny, this all started when I tried to get the perfect base/bottom of the boolit.

Long day at work and then I went out and tried some more...Yea, that was a mistake!

Joe

Vent problem? Are the mould faces clean in that area? Are you smoking the mould heavily and plugging vents? I dunnoh...will follow this thread to see what the fix is.

Make sure you post the fix when you find it...OK?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Will do, I will try again tomorrow. I read another post just now and I think I may be running my melt too hot...Worth a try. I remember last year when I started I was getting great looking boolits and I think the pot was at 650ish...Hmmmmmmmm.. couldn't be that easy..Could it?

Oh, no smoke or just a light coat..Cleaned out all the vent lines too...Still no go

EDIT: I will also say my new lee 4-20 has begin to pour at a fast dribble almost..For some reason it starts decent pour then starts to slow down?
    Last edited by lablover; 08-22-2017 at 08:54 PM.

This is a pretty good 'riddle'...from your first post it looks like you are doing everything right on the money!

Are you preheating the mould all the time your Pb pot is coming up to temp?
    Are you hitting dead center of the sprue plate hole...not allowing the Pb to hit the edge first and then funnel into the cavity?

Geeez...you got me on this one.

Boolit Master
    Your nozzle is getting plugged on your pot. When it happens to me I take a big paperclip, bend it an unwind it enough so I won't get burned, grab it with some pliers and commence to ream the nozzle. It works great.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    This is a pretty good 'riddle'...from your first post it looks like you are doing everything right on the money!

Are you preheating the mould all the time your Pb pot is coming up to temp?
    Are you hitting dead center of the sprue plate hole...not allowing the Pb to hit the edge first and then funnel into the cavity?

Geeez...you got me on this one.
    Not hitting the hole dead center yet, the mould guide is driving me nuts! I think I may flip it over and try just the flat side. I am pre-heating the mold the whole time pot is coming to temp. But yea, I can't seem to hit that hole dead center....Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    Your nozzle is getting plugged on your pot. When it happens to me I take a big paperclip, bend it an unwind it enough so I won't get burned, grab it with some pliers and commence to ream the nozzle. It works great.

Will give that a shot

Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    Not hitting the hole dead center yet, the mould guide is driving me nuts! I think I may flip it over and try just the flat side. I am pre-heating the mold the whole time pot is coming to temp. But yea, I can't seem to hit that hole dead center....Yet.
    OK...that just may be the problem, you loose temp on the Pb like that. Can you raise your pot some so that you can see better what your doing?
    On my Lee 20# pot I had to grind off one of the corners of the guide so it would center well on wide moulds...seeing that Pbcoming out of the valve is crucial.

I raised my pots just 6" or so and that was enough. Click on the picture and you can see where I ground the edge off the mould guide.

OK...that just may be the problem, you loose temp on the Pb like that. Can you raise your pot some so that you can see better what your doing?
    On my Lee 20# pot I had to grind off one of the corners of the guide so it would center well on wide moulds...seeing that Pbcoming out of the valve is crucial.

I raised my pots just 6" or so and that was enough. Click on the picture and you can see where I ground the edge off the mould guide.
    Thats a great idea! I'll knock one out at work tomorrow at lunch..I'm a cabinet maker..LOL. But yea, I have a heck of a time seeing where that melt is going.

OK, I have to ask being still a newbie..What is PB...

BTW, slick set up. I've been thinking about that pot upgrade that was posted here a bit back..Seems like nice gear..Almost too nice for such an inexpensive pot.

Pb is lead
    Sn is tin
    Sb is antimony
    Cu is copper

I abbreviate a lot IIRC.

IIRC is If I Remember Correctly

You'll get used to it.

Pb is lead
    Sn is tin
    Sb is antimony
    Cu is copper

I abbreviate a lot IIRC.

IIRC is If I Remember Correctly

You'll get used to it.
    OK, I knew that..why did I not remember..Oh yea...Long day at work..Scary, getting old sucks!

Thanks for the reminder...

Looking forward to making that riser for my pots. I have the lee 20 and the 10. I like the way you have the pans under as well. Pretty slick

Boolit Master
    The standard mold guide on a 4-20 just annoyed me, I free handed until I had enough sheckles to replace it. Might experiment with lower the melt temp and increasing mold temp...thats my only thing I play with when bad fillout now. Oh, or add more tin
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

When I saw that the edges were frosted, the first thing to come to mind was zinc contamination.

Boolit Master

Since it's happening with two molds it's definitely a hiccup in your process and think you may already figured it out with not getting lead directly into the mold.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Banned

shooting lead directly in the hole works best on long skinny bullets.
    short fat ones need more venting to work their best.
    the sprue hole is a lot of air compared to a few scribed lines.

your frosting issue is a mold temp problem, drop the mold temp about 20-f and I bet it goes away.
    white colored rounded edges are the sure signs of frosting.
    your probably just getting more efficient at getting the mold emptied and back to being filled again.
    try counting while waiting and all the way back to when you started counting. [end of pour]
    15-20 second cycles will maintain a molds temperature no problem.
    change the rhythm [count time] as needed when you see to shiny, or too hot, on the boolits coming from the mold.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I notice several off your posts mention long days at work . The solution might be as simple as retiring

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    Retiring didn't help me much.....maybe sometime after November......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I tend to pressure cast when hand casting. It seems to give the best fill out with most molds. Also fluxing often seems to help keep the alloy unified. For me that is just stirring often with a wooden paint stick.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Bwahaahhaaaa..I was retired and went back to work! Start at 7 and get home by 4. Just got home early and am debating going to try the new tips!

Boolit Grand Master

I'm thinking maybe a vent problem or a flow problem. Maybe not enough pressure or volume to get good fill out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast