Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners

Thread: Scope Tradeoff question

Boolit Buddy

Scope Tradeoff question

I've been browsing scopes and sights for a while. Looking for a fixed scope for a take down 10-22 in the 50-75 dollar range. I know it's a small field there. And most guys start their budgets where mine ends. Still that's what it is. It's for my Dad not me, not going to use it much but I want to help when he does.

Just saw a sale where I can get a 150 dollar crossbow scope for my budget.

Google says that some people do use them for 22s. Tradeoff is some degree of precision (wide lines) but not a problem with robustness. Since it's already a take-down I think it'll help more than it will hurt. My dad won't put in enough trigger time to hit the limit of its accuracy.

Does a more expensive scope for a different application beat what you'd normally find for a cheap 22 scope? Any thoughts or "you're not thinking of X" would be appreciated.
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

For what you describe, I see a red dot on top of it. I bought a Pursuit 25mm red dot for my 45- 70. $49.95. It's a Bass Pro brand, seems to be handling the recoil of it (only about 50 rounds so far but I think it will be fine), and puts me in a 3 inch circle at 100 yards. It did wonders for my aging eyes. And it doesn't get hard to see when the daylight starts to fade.

To add.... you can shoot both eyes open....red and green reticles with 5 brightness settings each....72 hour run time on one CR 2032 battery. Hint...... the batteries are much cheaper on Amazon then at Wal-Mart. Eveready....10 for 5 bucks.
    http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/pursuit-x1-red-dot-scope
    The only downsides to me is the batteries. I would like to find one fiber optic powered without spending 500 bucks.

The other downside is the flip up lens caps. They are ****. Both of them split. Work for storage, useless in the field. It's a better scope then most of the reviews lead you to believe. At least mine is.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 08-22-2017 at 04:12 PM.

Boolit Master
    You can get one of the old K4, K3, K2 1/2, Weavers for 50 dollars, A Bushnell or Tasco, any of the 1 inch tube scopes are better than the .22 scopes, and you can find all kinds of used ones for under 50.00

Moderator Emeritus

The older Bushnell Banner scopes are "Sleepers" and you can find them cheap, I see them from $20 to $60 all the time on the famous auction website. I found a 2x-7x 32mm at a gunshow two years ago for less than $20. They were made in Japan by Bausch & Lomb and are a great scope. Be sure to look for the circled "BL" mark.

Also, some of the older Tasco's were made in Japan, and they are far better than anything that was made in China 15+ years ago. That said, Today, some of the scopes coming from China are pretty decent, and of course some are NOT...I haven't figured how to tell a good one from a not so good one?
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 08-22-2017 at 09:54 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Check your LGS for used scopes. There are lots of older 3-9x40's that make a rimfire like the 10/22 shine. Or, at many shops including Cabelas, Sportsman's Warehouse, etc you can pick up a Simmons 22Mag scope for $49 and it is superb for a rimfire. I have 3 or 4 of them in use, never had one fail. MidwayUSA has them right now w/free shipping: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/21...cle-with-rings
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Bushnell 4x Sportveiw from Japan as stated- never had a bad one. Some people will give them away thinking they are junk. They are not. Average around $25 on -bay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have found several good scopes at my local pawn shop for roughly half price. Most were new in box.

2 bushnell banners, and a pair of Simmons 3x9x40's.

I have been very happy with all 4, top price paid was 40$.

That being said I also am very happy with truglo's Red Dot sights.
    I really like their 2x model that is like a cross between a short scope and a Red Dot.

Light weight, brings those far targets just a little closer. 2.5 moa dot, keep the brightness turned down as low as possible and I have no problem hitting the target.

Price is about 60$ on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Truglo-Red-Do...+red+dot+sight

Boolit Buddy
    Y'know... thinking about it.

I think I'll take Ghosthawk and Buckshot up on their advice for my dad. I found a red dot in that range that comes with a lifetime warranty so, what the heck. That's pretty much decided.

I'll take the rest of you up on looking for a used bushnell scope for myself
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell