Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Need advice on 44 special and 44 mag loads

Need advice on 44 special and 44 mag loads

I am setting up my daughter (age 52) with loads for her S & W model 29 6" and will be gifting her with an H & R 44 mag carbine. Part of the package will be the Lee hand press and dippers as she is not a hobby reloader. Fire arms will be for self defense.

First I am thinking of 44 special brass loads with a 260 Keith in 44 Special brass at about 750 to maybe 800 max fps from the 29. Powder and loads suggestions would be appreciated. Something that could be reasonably consistent w/dippers. She knows how and when to clean. :0)

Next would be 44 mag in mag brass loads for the H & R in the 1500 to 1600 fps range. Same Keith bullet and same loading tools plus 2400 powder. Also am able to cast quantity of 429244 GC for the rifle so slighter higher fps, if appropriate, would be OK. Alloy is old WW plus possible addition of linotype or water quenched WW.

She is not recoil sensitive and is a very good shot.

They live in Washing state amongst the libs and sundry other semi retards because of work.

Your experience is appreciated.

seabreeze
    What is important in life? Things....or Honor/ integrity/Service and Humility?

Medium loads for .44 magnum in magnum brass with Keith boolits:
    5.5 of Bullseye
    6.0 of WW231
    6.0-6.5 of red dot
    7.0 of 700x (1000 fps or there abouts)
    8.5 of Unique.
    9.0 of Power pistol (1000 fps or there abouts)
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    The only thing that I can add to this is that my 44 mag handi prefers portly bullets. I have to size them to .433 to get them to shoot worth a hoot. My revolvers are not able to share the same cast bullets. I was disappointed in this as I wanted ammo commonality between the two.

Vendor Sponsor

6.0 gr of W231 @800-850fps for the .44 Specials with 429421 Keith style SWC.

22gr of H110 @1600fps or similar level load for 2400 with the 429244GC for the rifle.

These are my standard loads for .44 Spec and Rifle .44 Mags.

My Standard Mid Range load for .44 Magnum is 8 gr of W231 @ 900fps with the Keith Boolit.

As far as the dippers go, they will never be all that consistent for someone not doing it often. Get her a little Franklin Digital Scale and one dipper since she is not loading that much this would be better more accurate and less likely to screw up method of charging cases.

I would also recommend a Buchanan Precision Machine Hand Press over the Lee,,, Just because it will stand up on its own and the Lee hand press won't. Much easier to use when it stands up on its own.

Here's a youtube video showing loading .44's with the BPM Hand Press.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEpYQMdnxHY&t=7s

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Using 2400 with a 250 grain Keith Type RCBS boolit I get 1600 fps out of my 14" Contender. It's a Ruger/Contender only load. The Lyman 49th manual says the load is good for 1350 fps in a Super Blackhawk. I'm not near my manuals right now and prefer to not publish stiff loads from memory. I'll follow up when I get home this weekend.

For .44 Special loads I really like Win231. It burns very cleanly.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris