Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: IMR rifle powder

Boolit Bub

IMR rifle powder

I picked up some 4064 IMR Dupont mfg.cans at an estate sale last week. Cans are like new condition and have the old style metal factory seal. I am sure the mfg. date must be 1970's or early 1980's . Loaded up some cases and shot them, every thing looks good. Does any one have an idea as to a shelf life of old powder but in sealed cans. Thanks

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Years and years, even in less than perfect storage. I have powders from the early sixties that are still good and at least one five pound tin (repackaged) of IMR4895 with a 1952 date that I use.

The first clue is smell. If you open the container and it smells like lacquer, it's still good. If, on the other hand, it has a smell that makes you gag AND has what looks like red, rusty powder mixed in it.....dump it in the garden. It's still good fertilizer.

Boolit Master
    Not sure but I have sime old cans I opened and loaded as well and they did fine.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Even if it's dusty and stinks it will work for plinking with starting loads. I have used 2400 from the 1940s. Like the op I just got a variety windfall- some still with the price tags - $4.50!

Boolit Master
    That's a blast from the past! A Fellow that worked with me years ago give me a can of 4895 like that. He kept it out in his work shop, and he hadn't reloaded in 30 years at that point, the can was rusty but the powder smelled fine. I finished it off down the bore of an 8x57!

Boolit Master
    Storage conditions can be a big factor in shelf life. An unheated barn / shop / shed that gets cooked in summer and frozen in winter is about the worst environment . Stored in the house with reasonable temps is much better.
    I've used 4895 from the 70's that was good as new, and I've had a can or two from the 80's that went bad. As said earlier, smell for an acid / vinegar smell and / or a red rusty dust in the powder is an indication it's bad. I actually had a can of 4064 eat a hole thru the metal can, from the inside out.
    Probably what you have is fine, but do check before you use.
    NRA life member

LB

Boolit Bub
    thanks for the info.

Moderator Emeritus

Shelf life of smokeless powders depends a lot more on the CONDITIONS of storage than it does on longevity of it. Kept in a cool, dry place, they'll last pretty much indefinitely. If you get an acrid smell and some of it is turning redish brown, it's deteriorating, and probably shouldn't be used. Otherwise, load up and enjoy your score!

Boolit Grand Master
    I was given a can of 4895 by a widow that had to be from the 1960's--it shot just fine. Proper storage, or even less than perfect storage as long as it didn't get too hot, will extend the life for a very long time.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.