Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Is there a simple test for lube hardness?

Boolit Master

Question Is there a simple test for lube hardness?

Is there a simple test that could be used on bullet lube to determine its hardness and by extrapolation the lube suitability for a particular use?

I have been using SPG brand bullet lube on commercial cast 260 gr LRNFP (BHN ~11) to load 45 Colt ammo with Hodgdon's CFE-Pistol powder and also loaded up some with GOEX black powder.

I have just completed my first home made batch of bullet lube. I chose "Emmerts Improved" from the list of lubes in the stickies for my first attempt at a black powder suitable lube.

The recipe called for 50% beeswax, 40% Crisco unsalted shorting , 5% vegetable oil, 5% anhydrous lanolin.
    I wanted to use up the entire 454 gram brick of Crisco in one batch so there would be no leftovers. So assigning 40% to the brick of Crisco I calculated the gram weight required to meet the other ingredients percentages. I weighed all the ingredients on a kitchen digit scale because it's easier to measure out the portions by weight than by volume.
    The calculated weights are:
    50% Beeswax = 567.5 grams rounded up to 568g
    40% Crisco = 454g as stated on the package and verified by the scale.
    5% EVOO = 56.75g rounded up to 57g.
    5% Anhydrous Lanolin = 56.75 g rounded up to 57g.
    Total weight of lube made 1135g which made me 22 1/4 solid sticks 1"x4".
    The lube was melted in a double boiler made from a ~100oz can set in a pot of water.
    A emercable probe type digital thermometer from my BBQ monitored temperature so I could use the lowest heat from the hot plate to melt the ingredients.

My Emmerts Improved lube feels a little firmer than my SPG stick and is a light yellow colour (due to the yellow colour of the beeswax and lanolin) SPG appears whiter. I have no doubt this slightly firmer lube will keep powder fouling soft in a warm gun. Hopefully it keep the lube more in the barrel and not all over the revolver and my face. On days I shoot BP the wind is always towards me.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    For those that go solid, there's a needle penetration test. I never studied the details, but vaguely remember there might even be two versions or needle sizes or weight standards.

First page of Google results. Knowing and using the term "needle" had to have helped. https://www.astm.org/Standards/D1321.htm

Banned

squish it in your hand.
    spread it between your thumb and forefinger.
    I have tested about 80-90 different lube recipes and compared them all this way.
    you want a soft play-dough type consistency and you want it to feather out between your fingers.
    the more it feathers out without resistance or breaking the edges the more it will coat the barrel and prevent BP fouling.
    if you need more of either adding a drop of the oil to a golf ball sized piece of the lube with a dimple pressed in the center and gently working it in will show instant results.
    once you have the squish and feather characteristics you want worked out you can then change any batch of lube to work the same way by using the method.

Boolit Grand Master

I wonder if it could be measured in the means a spring is measured. a scales is set with a solid bridge over it a tube or form containing the lube is placed on the scales a sliding weight of a known weight usually about double whats expected for the spring. Is placed bearing on the sample but not completely compressing it. The scales should read the compression weight required. I the measuring of lubes a needle piercing the lubes force could be measured in this manner also.

Banned

they measure paraffin waxes by penetration and melt point.
    the higher the penetration the higher the mineral oil content.
    [Vaseline is just an over mineral oil modified paraffin wax]
    unfortunately that's about all the penetration test tells you, and none of them are any good as a boolit lube as is
    as a carrier part of a lube or even a flow modifier they are useful..

you could do a Timken test, or a penetration type test at home, or you could just squish it in your hand.