RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Weak hands/HiPoint

Weak hands/HiPoint

I recently got a HiPoint 9mm in a trade. All jokes aside it shoots good and hasn't jammed once even with hp ammo.
    The problem is racking the slide. I can do it but it is harder than most. My wife and daughters cannot and that won't do for an emergency house gun.
    SO- I modified a 38 Turkish Mauser sling band and came up with this:
    Problem solved! I surely voided the warranty and devalued the pistol haha.
    Results are what matters, right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hey...! That's kind of neat! And a good looking job also. Looks good enough to make one who didn't know Hi-Points that it's a factory original installation. The extra weight doesn't effect the slide cycle? Good, and a good solution. Years ago I had to switch my women folk over to revolvers from small semi-autos because they couldn't cycle the slide and would jam it almost every time when starting with an empty chamber. If it works, good for you.

The band had some springtwist to it that I couldn't get all the way out but perfection never reared its pretty head on this job.
    The slide itself weighs more than a Glock so I don't see a problem there. Thank you for the complements!

Well, the compliments were sincere. "Necessity is the mother of invention." There have been a number of slide rack assist devices produced commercially over the years, and yours is as good as any of them.

Thank you Sir.
    A caution. The slide is ZincSomething so tap the threads slowly like aluminum. I used a bottom tap.

Boolit Master

Sweet!
    It wouldn't surprise me to see that "loop" show up as a machined "feature" in the future.

Good job making a tool work better for you.
    'Monkey
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

It won't be long before I'll need something for my Ballester -Molina but it will be a one wing rear sight type thingy.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master

nicely done

Figure the gun is for shooting first and if this makes it work for the lady-folk then it's an improvement, no doubt about it

beats having a D-handle from a shovel on it
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

I also have the High Point C9. it can be hard to rack it. I lock the slide and the insert magazine then release the slide. Good idea though.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Very thoughtful modification and well executed. Good for you.

Moderator Emeritus

Nice! I don't find my C9 hard to rack but it has 3k++ rounds through it so some wear. And I bet they will still honor th warranty because it is a no matter what! They may copy it and add it as an option!

You should take pictures of that and send it to Hipoint!

I have one I found at a pawn shop for under 150$. It had a couple of minor problems, but a phone call and some common courtesy and respect soon resolved them. Parts arrived 3 days later, no charge for the parts and 2 magazines for the price of one and they threw in a mag loader.

Once I learned what it liked mine has never hiccuped.
    I do not have that many rounds through mine, 3-400 maybe over the last 2 years.
    I have it setup in a case, with 3 mags and 25 rounds for reloads. No it ain't pretty, no it ain't high end, no it ain't fancy. I am none of those things either.

It suits me. YMMV but I like mine. And I love the 2 Hipoint carbines I have, .40sw and 9mm. Thinking hard about the .45acp.

Boolit Master

I only thing my C9 wont eat is cheap ammo. It loves my reloads and once I get use to the trigger was surprising more accurate than my expensive 9mm. I want the 9mm carbine. No idea of an actual practical purpose but it looks like a fun plinking and marksman gun. Too bad they don't have any bolt action 9mm Lugers.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

One thing about the Hipoint's blowback system. The barrel is FIXED in position.
    So there is no barrel movement, period.

So as long as the gun is held somewhat still, bullet goes where it was pointed when the primer goes off.

Now, about the carbines. I am going to be totally honest here.
    Mine is not what I would call a long distance shooter. Not sure if it is me, or my ammo, or what.

At the pistol range at 20 feet you can cut the heart out of a 2" stick on bullseye every time. Bullet goes where the red dot is. Period.

But by the time you get out to 50 feet, you can see the cone of fire is getting larger.

Absolute hoot to shoot. I have yet to get one of mine back from someone at the range who has just fired 10 rounds without seeing an ear to ear grin along with it. They are just plain fun.

But I consider them a short range plinking gun not a 100 yard accurate gun.

IMO the 9mm is quite a bit better than the .40sw.

And I should run some good 9mm factory loads through it just to see what it can do at at least 50 yards.

I got both of mine used and it is possible they should go back to the factory.

Problem is I have really come to love those ugly little suckers and hate to be without them for a period of time. Mine are both in soft cases, hanging on a coat rack on the wall, and hidden under coats. The case is 1/3rd unzipped. At need just slide a hand in, grab, pull it out, rack the charging handle once and it is ready to go.

Probably never need it, but don't want to ever be without it.

Mine have been absolutely rock solid dependable. Bet the farm on it.
    That is my opinion, YMMV.

I noticed the same thing with the 9mm Hi-Point Carbine that I owned. I custom mounted a scope on it and the groups did not improve past 50 yards.

Boolit Master
    I found this while browsing the other night. Custom highpoint!!!!!!

https://www.armslist.com/posts/72234...hi-point-jhp45

I confess to not owning a HiPoint, but I greatly admire them for bringing their reliable and very affordable guns to market.

In the broader scheme of things, they may be one of the most important gunmakers extant.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Moderator Emeritus

I want one of the 9mm carbines. I can see it a fun gun, small game at close range, and a great truck gun for one of those just in case times like the deer I got last year. It was hit by a car, broke 3 legs but still very much alive. Guy that hit it never stopped so I called the sheriff to get a permit, told him it was still alive and I needed someone to shoot it. He told me to take care of it myself, the deputy will drop the permit in your mailbox tonight, and hung up. So I had a very live scared deer to deal with and all I had was the knife I keep in the truck... thankfully another guy stopped and I explained the situation and he helped me hold the deer down long enough to cut its throat... glad I keep that knife razor sharp so it was all over in 30 seconds. He helped me gut it and get it in my truck, I offered him $20 for the help and he turned it down. Said pass it on and left.

Hipoints are also fun to decorate(I used to own a laser engraver, this was advertising, did a dozen pistols with the 2A on it and the molan labe)

Last edited by MaryB; 08-23-2017 at 10:50 PM.

My wife loves to shoot the 9mm Carbine. I load up all kinds of water bottles for her. My thumbs get tired of loading for her. It's a hoot to shoot. And Yep, keep her under 50 yards.

To me the 9mm carbines are awesome. And the .40 makes IMO a wicked close quarters defense gun. 175 gr truncated cone cast bullets with a health dose of Red Dot.

They recently came out with a good factory approved 20 round mag for the 9mm. I had 2 but sold one to my shooting buddy. It has a bit of a boomarang bend in it.
    But mine functioned fine, just like the 10 round factory mags.

I have a couple of the mag loaders for 9mm. Handy little guys they speed things up and make it easy on the thumbs.

http://ontargetsportsonline.com/cata...der-p-369.html

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...52334995018.do

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast