Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "OLD" Hunting Clothes

Boolit Bub

"OLD" Hunting Clothes

My sweet wife thinks it is illegal, immoral, inappropriate, inopportune, and probably insane to hunt in clothes that have an obvious hole or tear. She thinks patches are barely O.K.

On the other hand, I often rip a new pair of hunting pants first or second time out. In truth some of my hunting clothes are 20+ years old, with patches and/or holes. The cuffs often get raggedy from wear. I kind of like them AS-IS. My bird dog doesn't seem to care how old my hunting clothes are -- and some are older than she is. My hunting partners don't care, and wear similar well-worn hunting pants, coats, vests, etc.

Question: When do you discard old hunting clothes ???

Boolit Master

When they don't fit or are too torn/threadbare to satisfactorily perform the task made for. I still have an old gore tex mossy oak parka that the stitching around the cuffs and sleeves is worn out on. It doesn't get worn, but I still haven't thrown it a way. It was bought in 1993 or 1994. Still warm and relatively waterproof.

Leaving concerns of marital detente aside, I think that the what and where and how long of the hunt is the best guide.

Elk hunting in true wild country for two weeks = the best clothes I got for the task.

Small game within sight of a ranch for a half of a day = my old lucky sweater that I've had since a teen (LONG AGO) at college.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master

Landy88, is that the sweater your Mom knitted for you?
    I've got one of those, stretched out of shape and a couple of holes, but a keeper for sure.

Boolit Master
    I wear things til they are "worn out" and then just use them around the house. I'd feel bad but it's "eco friendly" *****.... I'm just cheap on some things and I like broken in clothes; new clothes are just too stiff and scratchy
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    I wear things til they are "worn out" and then just use them around the house. I'd feel bad but it's "eco friendly" *****.... I'm just cheap on some things and I like broken in clothes; new clothes are just too stiff and scratchy
    I totally relate to this! Heck I have a pair of wool long johns I got in basic training in 1974 and still using them.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    Landy88, is that the sweater your Mom knitted for you?
    I've got one of those, stretched out of shape and a couple of holes, but a keeper for sure.
    I wish. Then I'd have a great sentimental excuse for keeping it. As it is, its just warm enough but not too warm, and I took my first out of state deer wearing it, are my only excuses for the ragged old thing.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Buddy
    I can relate. I also have a set, tops and bottoms, of wool long johns, that Uncle Sam issued to me in 1971. The really "special" thing about them is that about thirty years ago, my wife washed them, along with some painters pants that I had dyed red that fall. Evidently the dye had not fully set, and they long johns became pink. I have hunted in same deer camp for over 40 years, and I take them out every year, even the years that it is warm enough that I don't need them, just to brag about my "special" undies.

Boolit Master
    Glad in not the only one who wears stuff till its completely ***** .my wife knitted me a jumper out of old unpicked jumpers from charity shops ( we were broke 30 years ago) she wants me to get shot of it but it kept me warm every winter on my motor bikes and she made it longer at the back so it kept my kidneys toasty.

Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    ...my wife knitted me a jumper out of old unpicked jumpers from charity shops ( we were broke 30 years ago) she wants me to get shot of it...
    You've a golden opportunity to ask her to make you a new one: "Dearest wife you made that with your own hands, and I can't be without one that you made."

Maybe, it's why I'm single; but I'm sneaky enough to hide the old one and, then, have two.

Moderator Emeritus

When all the luck is gone from them......All kidding aside, I get rid of them when they are too threadbare or dont fit anymore......
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I have a pair of Carhart bibs that are 36 years old. The really amazing thing is that I can still fit in them..

Boolit Buddy

I wear them until the dog is embarrassed. My wife will sneak them from the house and drive them across town (small town) to throw them in her friends trash.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I never get rid of anything unless a sewing machine or other repair is not possible and the function of the clothing compromised. I have some Carhart bibs also that are 32 years old along with some brush pants and some browning bird hunting boots in 82 that have been re-soled twice. I did have to throw out a grand ole pair of herman survivors I had for 18 years that just could not be saved anymore.

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    I totally relate to this! Heck I have a pair of wool long johns I got in basic training in 1974 and still using them.
    Don't you think that you should take them off and wash them?

Boolit Master
    As long as they still do the job I keep them. My Filson wool coat is from about 1992. My Dad's in from the mid 70's. Unfortunately I have outgrown far more good hunting clothes than I have worn out.

I guess I bacame a seamster ( seamstress is female, right) Back when I bought my first camos, after washing them the pants were up to mid calf, the sleeves halfway to the elbow. We were in a fabric store and found good material. My sweet wife cut them out using a good pattern and put it all on a shelf. I fiddled around not wanting to put pressure on her, but finally asked "Hey doll when are you going to finish those camos in there on the shelf. She said if I could keep the sewing machine going and could read the aircraft blueprints at work , then she saw no reason whatsoever that would keep me from doing the sewing myself. Well at first had to get a little help from her. Got started sewing designing pockets on the back that holds a lot of stuff, sewed on pockets where I needed them as in big hand warmer pockets , a hang down small binoc pocket, little pocket close to the left knee to slip the recurve bow tip in, a little extra material in the knee for crawling. Other stuff, Hats, face masks, various collecting bags, day packs, etc. For archery you don't want a pocket that could deflect the bowstring, remove the pocket or leave off as in DIY.
    Those first pants (1965) I still had until a couple years ago two hunting partners acquired a pair each. one of those became patch material. 1976 my hunting partner acquired a set of DIM (Do it myself)pants/shirt/hat and he still has the shirt and hat.We are talking about 53 and 42 years. We put in for a NM elk bowhunt this year. Now to say I have been greatly Blessed still to be able to hunt and have the same hunting partners. We all shoot boolits as well.
    Last edited by OldBearHair; 03-11-2018 at 11:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master
    When there ain't enough thick enough material left to patch, then out they go. Until then, I wear what is comfortable, patch it when it needs it, and don't worry about what other folks think about my hunting and fishing clothes.

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master
    Fix the wife.

Boolit Bub
    Good to know that others also wear comfortable old hunting clothes.

Occasionally, while out in the fields, we run into a hunter/hunters that look like they just walked out of a Cabela's catalog page -- everything new and shiny. They stare at my old Remington 11-48 shotgun.

I must be older than some of you; Uncle Sam gave me wool long-johns at Ft. Leonard Wood in 1963. Unfortunately, they are long gone. I do have upland hunting coats from GAYLAN's and from WICK's, and I think they both went out of business about 15 or 20 years ago.

JERRY

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast