MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "OLD" Hunting Clothes

Boolit Master
    Mostly when they don't fit anymore....but I must admit my old heavy red plaid LL Bean woolen Mac doesn't get worn much anymore because I have new stuff that is lighter, waterproof and just as quiet and warm.

Boolit Master

The problem is that mine shrink and I have to go out and get a bigger size I have 2 or 3 pair of nice wrangler camo jeans that I love, but alas I had to order two more, but the new ones seem to be of lesser quality, thinner, but they fit...for now. I have them clean and folded, was about to donate them but maybe I'll just pass them along to another smaller hunter.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    ...I have 2 or 3 pair of nice wrangler camo jeans that I love...
    You Southerners post about hunting in jeans and tees just to be cruel.

My typical for deer hunting - I don't hunt deer til elk is done - is a silk layer, a wool layer maybe two, a fleece layer, and a water and wind resistant shell layer.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    Mostly when they don't fit anymore....but I must admit my old heavy red plaid LL Bean woolen Mac doesn't get worn much anymore because I have new stuff that is lighter, waterproof and just as quiet and warm.
    is your new stuff camo?
    I'm always on the lookout for wind/water proof & quiet (non-camo) hunting clothes.

Boolit Master

I have a Filson hunting coat that I bought in 1985 or 86 that is just getting broken in. I replace my hunting pants when the cuffs wear off so that they don't cover the tops of my boots.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Mold
    Much like a post I put in the "Boots" section, I'm not hunting anymore so looking to post some good hunting clothes for sale.
    Wanting some advice as to the best places to place some ads.
    Appreciate any help.
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry6stl View Post
    My sweet wife thinks it is illegal, immoral, inappropriate, inopportune, and probably insane to hunt in clothes that have an obvious hole or tear. She thinks patches are barely O.K.

On the other hand, I often rip a new pair of hunting pants first or second time out. In truth some of my hunting clothes are 20+ years old, with patches and/or holes. The cuffs often get raggedy from wear. I kind of like them AS-IS. My bird dog doesn't seem to care how old my hunting clothes are -- and some are older than she is. My hunting partners don't care, and wear similar well-worn hunting pants, coats, vests, etc.

Question: When do you discard old hunting clothes ???
    LOL Some of my hunting clothes are from the late 1970's.

Throw away(discard)... Not a chance...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Mold
    As long as it still Fits I continue to wear it. Problem is all my cloths fit some guy that weigh less than me. a lot are new and have never even been worn. would love to TRADE them for something I can use.

My first hunting coat was an olive drab army coat from WWII, a family friend and hunting mentor gave me. It was his during the war. I wore it for about 5 years worth of duck hunting. He was a smaller guy, and I outgrew it by age 19. But it was pretty much threadbare in a many spots. I can’t imagine the stories that jacket could tell...
    Mould forth, and load in peace.

I have a pair of those.. wool long johns , from the Army. still would use them, cutting fire wood. But they came out with that thin body Armor stuff that is great to hunt in. .. grand kids got me some for Christmas one year... I thought they where Women’s work out clothes at first...
    Last edited by Deakota57; 11-20-2020 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Wanted to add
    It takes more than just reading, to prepare a young soldier for battle.
    Your experience means the world to the young.

I was noticing a few days ago my camo black and orange hunting vest from about 1990 is mostly just orange now. Still works, still fits, and still does its job even if the black dye is mostly missing these days.

Boolit Master

I do have favorite things of clothing disappear every now and then. But my wife makes me new stuff and I find i like that just as well. I got two new flannel shirts today made from different leftover cloth and I love them already.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

I have an old Hunting coat that I have no idea how old it is.
    All I can say is it was given to me from my long deceased former brother in law.
    That was back in the sixties. It was well used by the time I got it.
    It has a corduroy collar and is made of a heavy gauge yellow canvas and has a pouch around the back where you can stuff dead animals and birds in.
    It has some repairs to the pouch where some not so dead critters woke up and tried to claw their way out.
    It also has shell loops in the pockets, always was very attached to it in spite of all the blood stains and repairs.

Banned

If they will stay on me, cover all sensitive areas and maintain a decent barrier between me and the elements they are fine. Holes, tears, rips and thread bare cuffs are not a reason for discarding. My wife never had a problem with what I wore hunting because she wasn't getting up that early for anything.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    I wear it until it will not stay on anymore. Faded blends in far better. No more "factory smell". Can be put on and taken off in complete blackness and every pocket or closure is well known.
    You cannot buy any new garment or piece of equipment like that !
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry6stl View Post
    My sweet wife thinks it is illegal, immoral, inappropriate, inopportune, and probably insane to hunt in clothes that have an obvious hole or tear. She thinks patches are barely O.K.

On the other hand, I often rip a new pair of hunting pants first or second time out. In truth some of my hunting clothes are 20+ years old, with patches and/or holes. The cuffs often get raggedy from wear. I kind of like them AS-IS. My bird dog doesn't seem to care how old my hunting clothes are -- and some are older than she is. My hunting partners don't care, and wear similar well-worn hunting pants, coats, vests, etc.

Question: When do you discard old hunting clothes ???

Hello,
    now it's 23+ years old,
    is it still wearing?

Boolit Bub

OLD Hunting Clothes

Quote Originally Posted by Werkur9 View Post
    Hello,
    now it's 23+ years old,
    is it still wearing?
    YES, I'm still hunting in (mostly) the same old clothes and boots. I did buy a new Browning Sliver Hunter 12 gauge shotgun, but also still use a Remington 1900 SxS from 1908. My hunting vest is from WICKES, a company that went out of business about 18 years ago.

In a few months I'll celebrate my 81st birthday. Last year, due to Covid-19, we skipped the birthday celebration; will make up for that this year. Still bird hunting, with a 4 year old Brittany; and going to South Dakota this October for ringnecks. Also shoot a lot of Sporting clays, and some Skeet.

Boolit Bub
    Not for nothing but I prefer my older clothing for a big reason. It has labels "Made in USA" . I hate seeing so much made overseas. I know it is the way of the world but that does not mean I have to like it.

I miss the old WW2 style camouflage made by Ideal in central Pennsylvania. I never got around to it but I have always wanted one of the blaze orange camo vests that they made. Legal where I hunt but it did break up your outline a tad.

There are some smaller companies that make USA made hunting clothes but they tend to be very pricey.

Boolit Master
    The first set of Filson chaps I had, I worn at least 6 inches off the bottoms before I retired them. I have a Cabela's branded hunding coat I quit wearing once the front big cargo pockets worn holes through that were big enough for my shotgun shell to migrate through. Kept the coat, keep thinking I will find someone to replace/repair those pockets. I might have some outgrown archery clothes that need to get rehomed. The fella I sold my archery equipemt to was bigger than me.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

I "retired" my Swedish wool army pants three years ago. I still bring them with me, but they're in reserve duty now. I hunted in them about 30 years. I stopped wearing them as my main hunting pants when I realized they were 78 years old. (81 now)

Former cylindersmith.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast