RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Too many Knives ?

Boolit Master

I'm a knife nut and a steel junky. Mostly Spyderco but I've got a little too much of everything from Buck to Benchmade. Most of the time a Spyderco Manix 2 occupies my pocket. Usually with M-4 steel and black G10 scales. Today it's a light weight Manix with Maxamet steel.

The old bucks are too hard to sharpen for my tastes. I don't like having to use a diamond stone. I like DMT stones but I cut my teeth on an Arkansas stone and like the way they produce an edge.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 06-23-2019 at 12:21 AM.

I lost my cheap chinese knockoff for a while. Recently found it under the seat of my truck. (Hurray!)

I carried this one for 3 months. Made by TEK.

It is heavy for its size, but I have no complaints about it. Came sharp, quickly
    put it on the strop and it got scary sharp.

Attachment 235482

I only spent 15$ on it, loved the wood on the grips. Blade stayed sharp.
    Its a backup now.
    Attachment 235483

I love a decent cheap knife.

Boolit Master

I need to find a collector that is local. My Dad had over 200 knives, Case, Queen, Hen&Rooster too many to name. I have taken a few out that I want to keep but there are just so many and I really don't know much about them.

Quote Originally Posted by HawkCreek View Post
    Sometimes the hard part is deciding on which one I'm going to use that day!
    I resemble that remark.

I Too Really like my Buck 124

I'd like to have a 124. Real nice heft to them. I've had a 119 several times and it was nice too, real light and maneuverable.

Boolit Buddy

well...I have NO IDEA how many knives I own, or have traded over the years.
    Lots, most to use.
    To this day- this morning actually!- if I see a good using knife at a yard sale, junk shop, ect, at a decent price i'll snag it.
    often I end up giving these away to people who, for some reason do NOT have a knife at all- yes, I know! HOW do these people survive?

Picked up a case XX butcher with some wear, and an old hickory boning knife for $1 today...no I don't need 'em, but someone will.

You can never have too many knives. A good pocket knife is a necessity.

Boolit Master
    Go to SMKW in Sevierville..... You'll start drooling. Lori and I got a 4 piece steak knife set for $80 and they are sharper than anything that I've ever had, including my fillet knife. Plus a lifetime warranty with the set.
    The last time I was there I bought a Kershaw that was on sale from $90 to $16.... It is now my edc. While we were there I spent two dollars and got it sharpened.

A few months ago I " inventoried" my knives. When I got to ten I just stopped. I didn't know that I had that many. There are some in the dresser, several in my packs, in the console of my car, on my loading bench, just about any place that one could hide. I even found a very nice ( and sharp) stainless steel Barlow that I bought in Carrabelle Florida to use while fishing there some many years ago. IMO most Barlow knives are just a stopgap measure so you won't ruin an expensive knife, but this one is an exception. It's a good dress carry knife, thin and sharp, easy to open.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I admit it, I am a knife *****. Whats worse, I'm a cheap knife *****. Under 20$ will get my attention every time.

Mora's, Opinel's, yep, in multiples and different sizes.

Lately I have become a fan of the assisted open knife.
    Ganzo 728's, TEK's, and several other various brands.

It started with Kershaw's Onion Scallion and devolved from there.

Pocket clip a must, and it has to be on the opposite end from the blade hinge point.
    Otherwise to get it out you have to pull it, flip it 180 degrees, then activate it.
    Clip on the right end just eliminates that bobble.

My current EDC has no name on it, is sleek, no nonsense, has the kind of steel on the blade. Pretty sure it was one of 6-7 assisted opening knives I got from FieldSupply as a bundle. 7 knives, 6 of them assisted opening, for around 50$.

Gave away the ones I was not as fond of, kept the winners.

They are easy to sell on flleabay buy unfortunately collecting knives doesn't seem to be as popular as it was in the 70's and 80's. I was a member of the NKCA for many years . they had a nice magazine and yearly collectable knives but I think they are pretty well done. I have a large collection also. Some that have been in the family since the 1920's that are worth something only to family members . Some that are collectable to those of us that still do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I need to find a collector that is local. My Dad had over 200 knives, Case, Queen, Hen&Rooster too many to name. I have taken a few out that I want to keep but there are just so many and I really don't know much about them.
    Find an online auctioneer that specializes in knives. You might be pleasantly surprised at what you can get. You could also go to a knife show .

Banned
    There's the every day knife (old Spyderco). The knife that lives in the truck, some two blade folder that if stolen wouldn't be missed.
    Various old knives that live on benches and in tool boxes. The old hunting/fishing knives that are utilitarian and simple. The best knives, Wusthof, live in the kitchen.

I've seen the young kids with a dozen or so high end knives and they always seem to need the newest, coolest thing. They have a knife for everything and probably have $2000 tied up in knives they'll never use.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 06-23-2019 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry6stl View Post
    I suspect I'm like most of you and own more than a dozen hunting, fishing, and pocket knives. They never wear out, so it is hard to justify (?) buying another one.. But sometimes, i just do....

The nicer ones will eventually go to the grandkids.
    I have that same problem,I have about eighty knives. Every time I buy one now the wife asked why?
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

Boolit Bub
    2 case medium hunters, 5 benchmades,a mini kbar,a case damascus slim locke and an older CRKT titanium.I always carry the CRKT(never leave home without it)

Just sold off a small box of older knives I've acquired over the past few years. I have a Spyderco I always carry simply because it is light, versatile and handy. I have plenty of sheath knives that I know I have to go through again. My soft spot has been the Canadian Belt Knives that I find at a good price every now and then. Last purchase was a Fallkniven F-1 Air Force Survival Knife bought because it was just too good of a deal and is also quite an awesome little knife; I think it will be used quite a bit. Some knives I just can't seem to get rid of, not because I use them but instead some sentimental reason.

Nothing like bringing a old thread back from the dead
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master

I've an old Buck 110 that My Dad gave me in 1971. At least half a dozen other Bucks almost as old.
    A set of Chicago Cutlery that We got as A Wedding gift. Still going strong too.
    COLD STEEL, they are the best. They stand behind their quality product.
    A pair of BenchMade, gotta send them back for reattchment of the pocket clips. Just never get around to it.
    And of course the ubiquitous Swiss Army Classic, for those occasional Wild Moustache hairs.
    spyderco, have 2 old ones for cutting up cardboard. All they're good for, as they don't stand behind their products
    At least 20 others.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I have a buck 110, that I got back in 1972,iirc. Field dressed every deer I've shot since then, except one or two. I've also picked up one 110 and a coupke if 112's. One of the 112,is still in its original box, never been used.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast