RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too many Knives ?

Boolit Bub

Too many Knives ?

I suspect I'm like most of you and own more than a dozen hunting, fishing, and pocket knives. They never wear out, so it is hard to justify (?) buying another one.. But sometimes, i just do....

The nicer ones will eventually go to the grandkids.

There are some things in life, quality made knives and guns being among them, that one really can't own enough of. Believe me--I know the feeling!

I am a knife *****, I admit it. Yes you can turn my head with a well made Mora, or Kershaw.

My EDC is a Ganzo which shows I am for the most part a cheap knife *****.

Still nothing like a nicely built piece of sharp steel that does the job it was designed to do.

I suspect I have a lot more than a dozen. Heck I can think of 6 mora's without even trying. There is the Old Hickory pig sticker hanging by my recliner. There is a Kershaw Scallion there as well. Along with a couple of green river blades, my Remington 4800 butcher knife that I shortened and changed the tip profile into the worlds sweetest deer gutting/skinning/slicing knife. High carbon steel of course. Then of course there are 3 or 4 Opinel's laying around.

For me 25$ is an expensive knife. And I love to get them, make sure they are exactly the way I like them, and then strop them until they are just short of razor sharp. Razor sharp tends to be a bit delicate of an edge IMO for a working knife. Just short of it is ok though.

But that's just me, just another cheap knife ***** who goes to the pawn shop once a month just to drool on the knife counter. Sometimes one comes home.

Boolit Master
    I always seem to lose mine..... there's a few heirlooms I keep at the house but otherwise I just use them until I lose them and replace. Swiss army knives are my weakness, always have one handy when I can't find a screwdriver.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Grand Master

I have a bunch of nice, to me, Benchmades. I rarely carry them anymore. I do when I'm home on the weekends. But I don't fly w/ them, in my checked luggage. I don't trust the TSA. I have one beat up one, tip is snapped off, that I keep in my first aid kit. It's the first Benchmade I bought. Now that I'm typing this I probably shouldn't pack that one since it has sentimental value. The good thing is that they are still made and easily replaceable. Just don't want to plop down a few hundred because someone at the TSA decided they needed it more than me. I've already had tools go missing out of my Pelican case so there is a reason for my distrust.

Boolit Buddy
    I probably have over 100 kitchen knives. I can't help myself when i find a nice piece of steel at the thrift shop or flea market. My sister in law just gave me this carbon steel beauty.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170726_152650.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	202469

Attachment 202486Attachment 202487Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Remington3.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	202488Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Remington2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	202489Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Remington1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	202490

Just a few of my favorites.

Ganzo 728 assisted opener, with flashlight and Firesteel. True EDC.

Mora 511 camp knife.

And my worked over Remington hammerforge. High Carbon Steel is still near and dear to my heart.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    My wife seems to think that I have too many knives and guns. I use the hunting knives for kitchen work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    They are kind of like guns. I can't really use more than one at a time but I have quite a few expensive custom knives. I can afford them and I like using them, that's all the justification I need.

Sometimes the hard part is deciding on which one I'm going to use that day!

I've collected and traded knives since I was a kid. I've never had really expensive knives. I like knives in the 20-100 dollar range. Buck knives, gerbers, stuff like that. Mora knives are pretty nice for the price too. I once had a benchmade 3310 that a friend gave me. I miss that knife, I sold it to finance a gun purchase sometime later. I enjoy my knives for sure.

~Bazoo

Boolit Mold
    I don't need any more but they still keep following me home like a stray puppy . I also have quit carrying through the week and have gone to a super knife that uses a utility knife blade so I just toss the blade and get a new one . My weakness are Spyderco out of Golden CO.

I never got into sypdercos. Id like a tenacious I think. I too have one of the folding razor knives, but I dont carry it much.

Some people buy shoes, i buy knives and guns. They'll always have value.

Boolit Master
    I like an edge that’s so sharp, when I go to cut hay bale the string just starts parting at 1/2” proximiti to string. I love a sharp pocket Knife.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I am a knife *****, I admit it. Yes you can turn my head with a well made Mora, or Kershaw.

Still nothing like a nicely built piece of sharp steel that does the job it was designed to do.

I suspect I have a lot more than a dozen. Heck I can think of 6 mora's without even trying. There is the Old Hickory pig sticker hanging by my recliner. There is a Kershaw Scallion there as well. Along with a couple of green river blades, my Remington 4800 butcher knife that I shortened and changed the tip profile into the worlds sweetest deer gutting/skinning/slicing knife. High carbon steel of course. Then of course there are 3 or 4 Opinel's laying around.

For me 25$ is an expensive knife. And I love to get them, make sure they are exactly the way I like them, and then strop them until they are just short of razor sharp. Razor sharp tends to be a bit delicate of an edge IMO for a working knife. Just short of it is ok though.

But that's just me, just another cheap knife ***** who goes to the pawn shop once a month just to drool on the knife counter. Sometimes one comes home.
    SAME story here!

I am a bit of a knife nut myself!

I'm partial to older BUCK and I like allot of the Cold Steel better knife line! But plenty of Shrades, Gerbers, Case, Kabar, Kershaw, Browns, Camillus as well as a couple Black Jack and Pumas.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I especially like older Buck lock back brass ends, working knife.

Boolit Master

I just remembered, I picked up a nice older Model 124 last year too. I have wanted one for some time, never seemed to have the coin when one came up...

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post

I suspect I have a lot more than a dozen. Heck I can think of 6 mora's without even trying. There is the Old Hickory pig sticker hanging by my recliner. There is F
    or me 25$ is an expensive knife. And I love to get them, make sure they are exactly the way I like them, and then strop them until they are just short of razor sharp. Razor sharp tends to be a bit delicate of an edge IMO for a working knife. Just short of it is ok though.
    My thoughts exactly...or mostly...In College, another lifetime ago, I had the money in hand to order a Randall. I made the BIG mistake of telling a roommate about my pending purchase. He said; ****, Carl, I'd NEVER spend $60 on any knife! And, from that day to this, I still don't have a Randall! Of course, in those days, I could eat for 2 months on $60!

I had a friend over last week, he said he had "a few" knives he wanted to show me. He came up the driveway toting a box about 18 X 18 inches FULL of knives. I had a good time looking at all of his knives, making proper social noises at regular intervals, then it was MY Turn! I don't have many knives, and one is a Helle Scandi blade that I put a handle on, and made it a sheath ,using Stingray hide glued to 6 oz. cowhide. My usual edc knives for 30+ years have been Swiss Army knives, but, I just bought an Old Timer Stockman, which I'm getting used to. I do miss the scissors on my SWISS Super Tinker, but the OT will do.Anyway, about halfway through my meager collection, he said;"You only have GOOD knives!" I was flattered! I have given away more knives I have made to family members and friends, than I have kept for me, but I'm always looking for another one to fill my collection.

My first "good" knife was a Browning short drop point, bought about 1976 for $26.95. I sold a Swiss gold coin that members of a class I taught bought me for a present at the end of class. That was 1964. That's one I won't sell!

Anyway, enough of my ramble! I'm considering getting a couple of Opinels and maybe another MORA "just in case", and maybe a Ganzo, even if it is of ChiCom manufacture.

Gebirgsjager has it right!
    "There are some things in life, quality made knives and guns being among them, that one really can't own enough of."
    Be Well!

Boolit Master
    No such thing, as too many knives
    Telatively inexpensive and useful tools that retain their value. I confess to having a knife addiction. A good knife, meaning a useful blade shape and quality steel will catch my eye. Tastes go from Moras and SAK to Damascus as long as it is a functional design. Also use all my knives, no collector items, well not "new in the box" anyway. Prefered deer knife for the past 35 years is a Lee Damascus with cocobolo shaped pretty much like a 4 inch boning knife.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I carry a buck 110 or a 192 every day, along with a pocket knife and a leatherman original. I switch pocket knives between an old timer 34 OT i've had for 20 years, and a couple cases I got for Christmas. Mom got me a case stockman this year and the wife got me a yellow trapper last year. The 110 was a valentines day present from her 3 years ago.

My favorite is the 192, but I carry the 110 more because its easily concealed when we go to doctors and such. And the 192's sheath is getting soft. I'll have to make one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast