RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Marlin 336 44mag

Marlin 336 44mag

Hello all -

I may have an opportunity to pick up a Marlin 336 in 44 magnum. I've done as much reading as I can scouring the interwebs, and have gathered the 336 was only made for a few years in 44 magnum before they switched it to the 1894. There is some alleged chambering/feeding issues, but it seems like that isn't a common occurrence reported by most owners. I was hoping someone here may have had some experience with one before I make a commitment and run to get it.

I do not know yet whether this particular rifle has the saddle ring that some came with, but it is said to be in very good condition. They are asking $500 for it, which seems to be the average price for these as of late. I will be calling to get more information on it later. Thank you for any and all help!

Boolit Master

Buds has an 1894 with ballard rifling (better with cast boolits) for $490. https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...+44+MAG+20+WAL
    By the way Roze http://www.rozedist.com/ has jacketed leads for $.13 can't beat it. By the way buds offers a lifetime warranty for only about $20 more. Just some things to ponder.

+1

The Marlin 1894 makes a better .44 Magnum rifle than a Model 336, and for the same money, I'd rather have the new rifle as opposed to a not particularly collectible used gun.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    IMO, $500 is undervalued for this gun, assuming you can live with the 1:38 twist rate.

I have one of these 336-44's and it is an extremely accurate rifle, doing 1/2" groups @ 50 yds (scoped) with the Hornady 225gr LE ammo. I have never gotten it to malfunction in any way.
    A local friend of mine also has the same exact rifle, and had had the same experience with his.

I'm not opposed to the twist rate (I haven't gotten into 44 mag before this, so this would be a first outing for me). I would probably need to read up on what others have done regarding reloading for this caliber and twist rates.

I have read that these rifles are accurate, and nobody seems to have had the feeding issues that is spread by gunsmiths.The primary use would most likely be whitetail hunting, as this is acceptable in Michigan where I live. I'm still a little torn on it though.

Boolit Master
    I don't think I've ever seen a 336 in 44 mag. Curious: did such rifle have a Micro-Grove barrel?

My understanding is that they did have microgroove rifling. The 336 rifles chambered in 44 mag were only made between the years of 1962 and 1967 I believe.

Unfortunately, my hesitation allowed someone else to jump on the deal. Maybe next time

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    Don't worry; as these are extremely uncommon I very much doubt there will be a next time.
    Awesome

Boolit Master
    Don't worry; as these are extremely uncommon I very much doubt there will be a next time.

Boolit Master
    Easy come, easy go! If you want one, you'll find one eventually. But IMO the 1894 is a better rifle.

Boolit Master
    I would rather have the older 336 than a new remlin 1894. Oh well, it's gone to a new owner now anyway.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I've had a few of these rifles and the one in the locker now is staying . It will run the two hundred fifty grain LBT bullet without hesitation into very small groups . It has been given an annual job of going hunting with my pastors two children , each of them has brought home venison with it

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    If we were to buy a 336 in 44 Mag it would very fast become a 445 Supermag ! Very simple to do and the rewards are worth the effort.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Good morning
    If we were to buy a 336 in 44 Mag it would very fast become a 445 Supermag ! Very simple to do and the rewards are worth the effort.
    Mike in Peru
    Doable but you would need to remove the cartridge stop from the carrier and probably need to replace the 44 ejector with a 30-30 ejector.

BB

Boolit Master
    Prefer the look of the 336 myself .