Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Shipping Lead to California

Boolit Bub

Shipping Lead to California

I'm not sure if this question belongs here. I have not been able to find anything with regards to regulations that govern shipping lead specifically wheel weights into California from another state. This would be a couple of MFRB of used WW from a private seller.
    Thanks again

Moderator Emeritus

I would think some of the many fleabay sellers would have disclaimers in their ads stating they can't ship to CA, If, in fact there are laws/rules against doing so. Mostly they (and we) are shipping ingots. If you are asking about shipping lead wheelweights, as is, uncleaned and unmelted and uningotized...you may want to read this.

http://www.bendpak.com/Wheel-Weights...Wheel-Weights/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    http://www.bendpak.com/Wheel-Weights...Wheel-Weights/

Does this only apply if you put the weights on a car or truck? Don't see where it says possessing them is a crime.

Moderator Emeritus

The OP said "seller". The link mentions selling.
    But who knows how the State of CA would act if a FRB of that contraband were to bust open at a sorting center?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Sorting centers are federal property? What does California have to do with this.

Boolit Master
    RotoMetals, a site sponsor (at the top of the page) even has a distribution center in CA, and lists no restrictions about shipping to/in CA. They even offer an 'over-the-counter' sales service at their San Francisco facility.

https://www.rotometals.com/shipping-faq-1/
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Moderator Emeritus

It applies t installing WW on cars. Not shipping lead into the state. For all they know you are blending solder to use for art like stained glass!

Banned
    I have lead shipped to me here regularly from folks on this forum.

Funny story: I live in farm country north of Sacramento. The sprawl hasn't reached us yet and most of us are laid back country types.

I went to the local post office one time to buy a money order. I forgot my cash so I pulled out my ATM card and my driver's license for ID.

The clerk said "You don't need your ID Mr. Hart. Everybody here knows you. You're the guy that gets all those heavy boxes."

Boolit Master
    Ain't nothing wrong with it. Go for t.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Banned

yep you can insert them in a berm at 1800 fps you just can't rotate them around a steel rim at 400 rpm.
    sumthin about idiot birds following cars around waiting for parts to fall off so they can eat them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post

The clerk said "You don't need your ID Mr. Hart. Everybody here knows you. You're the guy that gets all those heavy boxes."
    Now that's funny.

I've always said that your UPS driver, and your mail carrier, know far more about you than you might think.

Moderator Emeritus

My former fedex driver(now retired) was born in my house(former midwives house) and always wanted to talk about it.

Boolit Grand Master

Cali or any state has nothing to do with what is shipped USPS. That is governed by the Feds and they do not play with this. Mess with the mail at your peril.

If the Feds say it can ship it can ship. Period
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post
    I went to the local post office one time to buy a money order. I forgot my cash so I pulled out my ATM card and my driver's license for ID.
    Same here. Very small town in rural NH. The post office delivery is a contractor. She will drive up and have ME unload the boxes.
    ID? We don't need no stinkin' ID.....
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.