RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gould 330 hp Alloy for Deer?

Boolit Master
    Scott, Any Luck?

Boolit Buddy
    Only with my bow. Wife and I went out second season and didn't see anything. I didn't hear any shooting around me either.
    How about you?

Boolit Buddy
    Use the Gould at 30-1 or 50/50 ACWW and lead sheeting. 38 grains of 3031 is the load, and this combination is absolute death on deer and elk in a 45-70. You'll thank me later.

Boolit Buddy
    I think they need to shorten bow season, and give gun season longer.

Boolit Grand Master

Better luck next year with your rifle, at least you did some good with your bow. Never had much luck getting acceptable accuracy out of this boolit, may need to revisit.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    Only with my bow. Wife and I went out second season and didn't see anything. I didn't hear any shooting around me either.
    How about you?
    I didn't make it out, laid up with a bad back. The neighbors son shot a very nice buck with a Marlin 45/70 using cast. The Marlin was his grandfathers and the cast bullets were cast by his grand dad. I think he passed away about 10 years ago so his bullets are going to good use. The young man loves to shoot and is on the High School trap team, last year he fired 7500 12 ga rounds. One shot from the 45/70 and he dropped straight down he said.

I saw several nice bucks on our place this year. We had one that I spotted by the garden at first glimmer of dawn. Had to wait about 30 minutes to fully make him out. I set up the spotting scope on him about 55 to 60 yards from the house out the back door. Both the wife and I checked him over for body features, neck, face, and horns. He would have made the record books. After about an hour he bedded down there and stayed there for about 4 hours. It was fun to watch him doze off and his nose would hit the ground and wake him up. I don't shoot those kind those are the kind we want breeding the does. Saw lots of little 4, 6, and 8 pointers trying to pollute the gene pool. Some of them were really beat up from fighting. None of them were more than 80 yards from the house. My B-I- L took one in his timber with bow that scored 180 something. My cousins wife took 2 bucks in their timber one with bow and one with the Encore 20ga. She's almost 70 and I don't think she could tip the scale past 100 Lbs soaking wet with her pockets full.

Boolit Master

I've found 20-1 a bit soft to maintain accuracy when ratcheting up the velocity - which is what those lighter-for-caliber Express bullets originally were all about. 16-1 was pretty common for that back in the day; I wouldn't hesitate to use straight WW now.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12