Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gould 330 hp Alloy for Deer?

Boolit Buddy

Gould 330 hp Alloy for Deer?

Was wondering what people are using for this mold? I have read that it was used with 20-1or 16-1. I was going to use 50/50 ww and pure lead. I plan on keeping velocity to 1300 to 1500 in a 1886 26in barrel.

Thanks Scott

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Your 50-50 alloy will work just fine at the velocities you stated.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot pure lead at 1300 fps. Works fine.
    siamese4570

Boolit Master
    I know water is a very hard medium, but I recently tried air cooled 50/50 into water at 1,300 fps, and the boolit pretty well disintegrated. I plan on trying it with wet pack before changing the alloy, but the blow up was not at all what I was expecting.

Banned

we use pure to make varmint bullets.
    kind of backwards from the malleability thing you'd expect.

if you got pure to mix with the ww's I'd test some 30-1.

Boolit Master
    I've used near pure at 1600, that was too fast for my taste. Bumped it to 50 50 ww to pure-ish and was better, probably about great, but kinda brutal in the little rifle with its steel butplate. Now back to near pure and 1350ish, no deer volunteer yet. That is near to the original design parameters, as best I remember, so I expect the historically consistent performance!
    I am curious if anyone has reduced the depth of HP, and board it work on "supper"?
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    Was wondering what people are using for this mold? I have read that it was used with 20-1or 16-1. I was going to use 50/50 ww and pure lead. I plan on keeping velocity to 1300 to 1500 in a 1886 26in barrel.

Thanks Scott
    I doubt you will have any trouble with that combo
    enjoy the backstraps
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

When I got my first Marlin 1895, the first one to hit Austin, Texas in the early 70s, I also bought an early bevel base mould for the Lyman 457122HP. About the same time, I ran into a fellow in the gunshop parking lot who had a pickup bed load of linotype pigs, which I glommed onto.

Lemme tell you, a lino 457122 with that long, deep HP, is an explosive varmint slug. A jackrabbit would be opened up and laid out flat like a "development" drawing. That metal is relatively brittle and just shattered upon impact. The boolits were bright, shining examples of the casting arts.

Boolit Grand Master

A 16-1 alloy will do quite well for deer with the Gould bullet at 1300 - 1500 fps. It's what I use in my magnum handgun huntiing HPs at 1350 to 1450 fps (357, 41 and 44 magnums). Also what I cast my .50 maxi-balls for my TC Blk Mtn Magnum at 1575 fps and my own 45-70 HP hunting load for my OM trapdoor. I use a 458483 GC HP'd sililar to the Gould.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, I've had a little set back getting my mold, but when I get it I'll try 50/50 and 16-1.

Boolit Master
    The second deer I ever killed with a cast bullet was done in with a Gould 330 HP . It was in a Marlin 1895CB back about 2002 with a tang sight . My alloy was straight wheel weights air cooled . Sized at .459 lubed with SPG and pushed with 31.5 grains of SR4759 . I was about 20 feet off the ground in a tree stand , plunked the deer at 21 yards from the base of the tree . At the boom of the gun it was if the carpet had been pulled from under the deer and that's where he stayed . He was a large bodied 6 point I would say of 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 years . one entrance wound and two exit wounds .

A friend of mine uses the same bullet in his Pedersoli Sharps , I worked up the load for him with XMP5744 and again straight air cooled WW's . He plunked a couple deer one year at about 125 and 175 yards . One was boom flop the other was boom tip tip tip flop .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I'm waiting for someone to make this boolit in a GC mold

Boolit Master

I would buy even a single cavity 460122HP in gas check design. My old Ideal has a neat bevel base, which makes use of plain base checks unwise.

Banned
    Now what was the boolit designed for ? Not targets and not Brown Bears I reckon.

"Note that John Barlow designed these bullets for rifle cartridges, specifically black powder rifle cartridges, and therein lies the secret to the soul of the cast HP. Generally speaking, these cartridges were loaded with BP to muzzle velocities of 1100-1600 fps (most commonly in the range of 1200-1400 fps), and this is why the cast HP’s worked so well and were so well received by the hunters of the day (men like Col. Pickett and A. C. Gould) -- the guns that they were initially developed for did not over-stress them. Thus, the cast HP delivered excellent expansion and deadly performance on deer, black bear and elk."

Back then they were called "Express" cartridges ..... lighter bullets are higher velocity.

Have use a few 458122hp on deer out of my 450Marlin bolt gun. Cast from Lyman#2 and driven to 2000fps. The deer just flop over! I found that I needed a GC so I put one upside down in the top of the case and used the bullet to seat it. The case tension keep it tight to the bullet base. Like the old Lyman slip on GC best but any will work.

Vendor Sponsor
    With the hollow point and smallish loob grooves pure lead will need some tin to help fill out and make nice sharp corners and an even mouth around the hollow point. WW alloy will provide tin. If you stop adding right when the mould fills out nicely you will have soft alloy for upset and expansion at 1200 fps or so. If you add more ww alloy your boolits will be more capable of higher velocities. But your expansion will taper off as your alloy hardens to brittle at the extreme. If distances are short enough to make iron sighting practical then 1200 fps or maybe a little more would be my preference. The 1886 was built when only black powder was available and these are the velocities it was designed around. Now if you want to second guess John Moses Browning go right ahead. But????

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    Thanks, I've had a little set back getting my mold, but when I get it I'll try 50/50 and 16-1.
    Scott, have you gotten your mold yet?

Boolit Buddy
    yes I did, stated casting with it last night. Hopefully I will start testing next week. I bought the wife a marlin in 45 colt so ive been casting some softer rcbs 45-270 saa for that as well.
    I should have started earlier, but I built a ground blind.
    Last edited by sac; 09-29-2017 at 03:25 PM.

Boolit Master
    Sounds good. Keep us posted on your progress, wishing you both the best of luck in Iowa's new rifle season.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok can someone tell me why the Lyman Manuals differ so much?
    I have a #3 and a 50th. The 3rd shows TD starting at 29gr and max at 37gr. Of 3031. 50th shows starting 43gr max 47.5 of 3031.
    With my 20-1 my boolits are coming out at 339-340gr. After sized and lube. My OAL is 2.535 at what I would assume would be the crimp groove bellow the front driving band and I see both books list OAL at 2.550. So I loaded 3 rounds at 42gr. Thought it would be a good starting point between both books. I didn't chrono, I shot them at a plate I have of the back deck at 40yards just see what the primers and cases looked. I'm getting flat primers and a dimple from the ejector, extraction was easy.
    What is everyone's OAL with this bullet?
    Rifle is a Miroku 1886, brass is Remington trimmed to 2.090. Federal std. Rifle primers.
    Last edited by sac; 10-10-2017 at 11:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast