Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Will a softer alloy Penatrate as far as a harder alloy at lower velocities?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Will a softer alloy Penatrate as far as a harder alloy at lower velocities?

I watched a loads of bacon video the other day and saw he was getting 2' of pentration in jel shooting 44 special hollow points with a BH of 8 around 950 fps. The hollow point was not expanding and zipping right through. If he was shooting a harder boolit with a BH of let's say, 15, would it Penatrate any further?

I doubt it, so long as there was no expansion of the softer Pb.

Deeper penetration would require higher velocity, a heavier round, more horse power in the load itself or a change of profile of the projectile.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Depending upon alloy a harder bullet may be more brittle, and if the nose shatters and blows off in fragments, penetration will be less. If you want more penetration, use a solid flat-nose with meplat 0.6 to 0.7 of the bullet diameter, which will stay nose-forward and not tumble.

Keith type such as #429421 at 900 fps from a .44 Special, which does not expand, will penetrate about 40 inches of gelatin or shoot through both shoulders of a cow or large hog broadside.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned

Exact same shape
    No, for sure

Boolit Master

I have shot deer with a 44 mag with Keith's 429421 lead boolits with a BHN of 9 and traveling at about 1100 fps go the full length of a deer and exit. I never recovered any of these boolits.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Depends upon the shape of the nose, the boolit weight and the velocity as well as the boolit hardness.

Here's a little something to add as a data point.
    These are soft lead fired from a .41 caliber percussion revolver with 25 grains of powder.
    The only real differences affecting the penetration are the changes in nose design.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stack top 2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	202340
    The splatter nosed wadcutter at the bottom only penetrated 3 1/2".

It all depends on how much the bullet deforms. Hard or soft, if the bullets are driven the same vel & neither deforms, penetration will be about the same. A softer bullet may not deform much at 950fps. Drive them to say 1100fps, things will change quite a bit.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I watched a loads of bacon video the other day and saw he was getting 2' of pentration in jel shooting 44 special hollow points with a BH of 8 around 950 fps. The hollow point was not expanding and zipping right through. If he was shooting a harder boolit with a BH of let's say, 15, would it Penatrate any further?
    Odd???
    I've shot a lot of hp's in different calibers, most of it being range scrap/berm lead that has averaged 8bhn. 8bhn bullets expand @ 950fps in several different calibers and 20+ different hp shapes/designs.

Seen a lot of low velocity 44spl loads, owned snubnosed 44spl's since the 80's. As others have already posted, 44spl's flat out penetrate.

The other thing is you would probably loose some velocity with a "hard" bullet in low pressure rounds compared to the softer bullets.

Boolit Buddy

Gee...Woo...Gotta guess here..

Oh..wow... Many questions here....

1. Bullet design...as discussed above
    a. spire point
    b. flat nose
    c. "dum-dum" design
    d. lead composition from base to nose
    e. bullet 'base' design
    f. Brinel of ingot
    2. Speed of projectile
    3. Powder type and composition
    3. Impact media...
    4. (laugh this off)... temp, humidity, atmospheric pressure, wind speed..
    5. Bullet Lube
    6. Barrel and barrel condition
    7. 'distance' from barrel to impact media
    a. point of discharge of round on planet Earth,, (Curvature of earth)
    b. Time of day
    8. How does the projectile a line with Orion's belt while in the House of Zodiac

OK...OK.. I am gonna stop... I am NOT MAKING FUN of ANYONE!!

There is a true "SCIENCE" that deals with this type of issue. It is called...BALLISTICS...(sub study...physics)

I AM NOT A BALLICASTISIAN NOR A PHYSICIAN!

But..having cast many home made designs... I know..'things change' from lot to lot and, well, "ME" being able to
    project 'what' I will see when I remove my boolit from my 'target' is a complete, total, **** shoot. BUT..

I DO KNOW THIS... CARE in material selection for smelting,,,CARE in smelting, ...CARE in casting... CARE in annealing the boolit,
    CARE in lube composition, CARE in sizing and lubing...CARE in brass treatment and preparation, CARE in charging the powder
    and primer, Care in seating the boolit and crimping same....does...does...have a measurable impact on....

1. Accuracy of the load
    2. Repeatably of performance the load
    3. (and,,well...where were we here?) achieving the desired results of the load.

Nose Dive
    Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

PS... Item is #7 is 'no joke'... the 'software' to make a long shot calculates earth's curvature, time of flight, speed of the Earth's rotation, Moon position retaliative to shot discharge point, and via all other above, (speed, design, distance, speed of target, weight, etc). and provides the shooter with 'hold over' data. (ask me how I know) ND
    Last edited by Nose Dive; 08-23-2017 at 11:00 PM.