Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stevens-Pope barreled Low wall

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Enjoying the progress.
    Thanks Wilco!

Boolit Master

I'm anxious to see how it shoots!

Ken
    Last edited by skeet1; 08-29-2017 at 03:54 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    "Transtint bright red dye". Where might a feller find some of this magical potion as I've always been partial to that Winchester red. Any paticular secret as to how you use it? Darn nice match if you ask me.
    Like everybody else, can't wait for the range report. Scope an A5?
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by 50target View Post
    "Transtint bright red dye". Where might a feller find some of this magical potion as I've always been partial to that Winchester red. Any paticular secret as to how you use it? Darn nice match if you ask me.
    Like everybody else, can't wait for the range report. Scope an A5?
    Bob
    Scope is a 1920's Belding & Mull. Same company that made the great powder measures.

I bought the Transtint Bright Red at my local Woodcrafters store. They had a wide selection of colors, and the bright red looked closest to the Tapaderas N35 I used to buy. It can be deluted with water, and applied over the wood like a stain. But it can also be applied full strength if needed. Best to try a mix first, and see if it's dark enough. Then you can make it stronger with more dye if needed. Only takes a few drops of dye, so don't start with much water, or you'll use a whole bottle of dye! Maybe teaspoon of water, and 4-5 drops of dye. It goes a long ways, but a small bottle was $20 for about 2 oz. Should last a lifetime considering water is free!
    Here's a list of dealers from their site:
    http://homesteadfinishingproducts.co...stint-dealers/

Banned
    Nice job that dye looks great

Quote Originally Posted by Discus420 View Post
    Nice job that dye looks great
    Thanks! Waiting on a new firing pin now. I tore it down and found the tip missing off the firing pin. If my friend doesn't come through I'll drill this one and press in a new tip. I keep drill rod for repairing broken firing pins.

Boolit Buddy
    Dang, you're killing me! No groups yet. This is like waiting for a youngun to be born. Hope those groups make for a pretty one.
    LOL
    P.S. if you think me impatient, please be advised that last June was 30 yrs with a natural red head. AND she's still alive. LOL

Looks like I need to order a firing pin, or fix this one. My friend came to the show today without it! Going to have to wait a couple weeks until I'm back from deer hunting, as that takes priority! Headed out Wed. and lots to get ready before then! Plus picked up another project today! A Remington Hepburn in .40-50SS to go with my Rolling Block in the same caliber!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Vall, as an old Win-wall kinda guy, I'll give you a free tip (no pun intended?) The standard fix for a broken firing pin tip is to grind the face of the broken pin flat then drill it for a piece of piano wire. It can be soft soldered or even epoxied in place. I used to see them like that all the time. Now let's see some groups!!

Your phriendly 'phibian
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Vall, as an old Win-wall kinda guy, I'll give you a free tip (no pun intended?) The standard fix for a broken firing pin tip is to grind the face of the broken pin flat then drill it for a piece of piano wire. It can be soft soldered or even epoxied in place. I used to see them like that all the time. Now let's see some groups!!

Your phriendly 'phibian
    That's what I normally do Charlie, but Win. RF pins are a PITA because the pin sits on the edge of the firing pin body. I may still give that a try when I get back from deer hunt in a week. I keep an assortment of piano wire, and also drill rod. I usually use permanent Loctite to install them as I like not heating the parts.

Wonderful place for a Belding and Mull scope, marlinman!
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    Wonderful place for a Belding and Mull scope, marlinman!
    Thanks! This was the first I'd seen of one. A friend had it and I was selling him my Ruger #1 in 7x57, and he asked if I would take the B&M scope as part trade. The price was right, and I was excited to own a B&M scope as part of my shooting collection.

I did finally get the firing pin replaced, and took this Low Wall to the range to test fire. Shot it at 50 yds after bore sighting the scope. 10 shots at 50 yds. off my Caldwell rest with PMC Target resulted in one ragged hole group I can cover with a dime! It's definitely a decent shooter!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12