Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Casting and loading for "mild" recoil in .45ACP 1911

You didn't steal it from me. I have only been using that load for about 4 months. I didn't have a 1911 45acp before then.

Banned
    Dispite my 55+ years of shooting I took an NRA course a year ago which was the "Basics of PISTOL Shooting" the book portion of the NRA instructor training class. Never got to do the shooting portion because the company I work for saw to it that I had to work. Still a goal when I retire this following spring. Dispite thinking that I knew everything like some here in this forum I still managed to learn a little.

Most guys I know took the class with the idea of the economic gains to be made. One needs to find a committed teacher and unfortuntely most are not. Having people being taught how to properly shoot by someone who is only in it for the money doesn't make much sense. Being taught by a bad teacher is worse than no schooling at all.

I'm still for starting out with small caliber guns and working up to the 1911. Worked for my wife and severl other women I have helped.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Second Chance- I'm glad you mentioned the Walther PPK. All my life I wanted a PP in .32 ACP.
    I got one and boy was it accurate. And well made and pretty. Problem was it was the meanest little thing to shoot I've owned. My bony hands may be at fault or the grip frame was wrong for me but I'd rather fire 50 full house .41 mags than 50 little bitty .32s in that PP. I had a 1922 FN .32 that I loved shooting so it's not the cartridge.
    There. I've admitted it. Six foot two 200 lb man whooped by tiny pistol.
    Best, Thomas.
    HaHA! I've had my .380 PPK for 25 years, and it has less rounds through it, than any I own, and for that very reason. That little gun is a beast, and it doesn't help that it has nothing to hold on to. I've never had a failure with it though.
    Lots of very good advice here, and I thank you all. Thank You also to those who offered samples. I've been away from shooting for a while myself, and her enthusiasm has rekindled my desire to get back on a regular visit to the range. I'll check into the pistol training courses, I agree completely with the value of proper training, and it is much easier to learn the proper shooting method, than to unlearn bad ones. I read here quite a bit, and i'm proud to be a part of such a knowledgeable member base. Thank you all

Boolit Master
    This works with 4.2gr WST also.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    200 grain lswc H&G 68 or clone with 4gr of Be, 4.5gr of 231, or 5gr of Unique will have you @ 725fps. Real easy to shoot as long as a 1911 fits her hands.

Boolit Master

4.2... 200gr SWC... a classic load... usually accurate and reliable. Just a no fuss load. Have shot many.
    At one with the gun.

Boolit Master
    You can get police turn-in Gen3 G22 for $279 in Jax Fl. The G22 will take a 9mm conversion barrel and run well. My G22 and G35 both have conversion barrels.
    Quote Originally Posted by second chance View Post
    I was thinking 9MM myself. But I don't own one of those, "yet". I have four 1911's in .45cal and a Glock 27 in .40 cal. I do have a friend that wants to sell a "like new" .40 cal full size Glock for reasonable, any thoughts on converting that to 9MM? How are Glocks with cast bullets? I still need all recommendations for the .45ACP though, because I'm setting up to cast for that, regardless of secondary calibers.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you Gary, I'm guessing that's through JSO? I wonder what kind of hurdles, one would have to jump through, to buy a gun from the sheriffs office in Jax?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    This works with 4.2gr WST also.
    I posted those because the OP said he had those powders in hand. I shoot Promo cuz it's really cheap and my gun likes it. Smokes a bunch and the gun gets dirty but I've ran 2500 rounds through it before cleaning with nary a failure to feed/fire.

As with most threads here, this has gone so far from the original post should be considered dead subject, now. If you'd like to talk about other things, start a new thread, please?
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Grand Master
    You can load the .45 ACP down so low that it will need softer recoil springs. Two of the Bullseye League shooters did that.
    Just don't shoot full power loads without changing the springs. Both of these guy had dedicated guns to reduced loads.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Bub
    Thank you all, I'm going to order an H&G 68 style mold from NOE, and I will probably be back with casting questions in a new thread. You all have given me plenty of info to start me in the right direction, and that's what I needed. Thanks again, Terry

Boolit Master
    I have a similar problem caused by arthritis, have been slowly working down in power in my 1911 so I can still do at least limited shooting. The Lee 200 gr works well for me but I modded it to remove the bevel base so it is less messy when lubed and it now drops at 190 grs. Backed by 3.5 grs of Bullseye and using a 14 # recoil spring and a 19# hammer spring it functions reliably and the recoil is in a range I can tolerate. Going to try dropping the load and using a lighter recoil spring but if all else fails it is usable now.

Boolit Bub
    Yeah Rich, that's another valid reason for reduced recoil. I have stopped denying that the strength in my hands is not what it used to be. I have a bad form of arthritis(gout), and when those attacks occur, even airgun shooting is out. So all info will be adapted for my own shooting as well. Thank you, Terry

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by second chance View Post
    Thank you all, I'm going to order an H&G 68 style mold from NOE, and I will probably be back with casting questions in a new thread. You all have given me plenty of info to start me in the right direction, and that's what I needed. Thanks again, Terry
    Throw us up a link to your new thread so we can follow your journey. Maybe include some pics of your casting (PC'ing?) results and the loads you work up?

Second Chance: Take "Tart Cherry" for your gout. and squeeze a hand ball for your grip.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Second Chance: Take "Tart Cherry" for your gout. and squeeze a hand ball for your grip.

Randy
    Tart cherries, cherry juice, vinegar, and the rest of the so called cures don't do a thing. Been there done that. Lay off butter and rich foods and it will have an impact.

Boolit Master

Wilson Combat used to offer a set of 1911 springs in a roll kit. Not sure if they still do but they were indispensable in setting up 1911s for light loads.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

I load a 200 grain RNFP over 4.0 grains of Clays. This load is awesome in a 1911!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I use a 200gr boolit at about 800fps. Not a huge amount of recoil, not scary to shoot, and quite adequate for use.
    +1 for the 200 gr. The HG 68 with WW231 is sweet shooting, reliable and very accurate

Boolit Bub
    My 50th edition Lyman manual shows two similar Lyman lead bullets both weighing 200gr with 1 grain different starting loads. I bought cast bullets from two different sources both 200grain and Hytek coated, but both slightly different. example- one has lube channel and the other does not. How do I determine the starting grains for these? I haven't reloaded in about 22yrs, in fact, I just last night pulled my press out and mounted it and started cleaning it and removing surface rust. Today I'm checking and cleaning the dies.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast