Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Casting and loading for "mild" recoil in .45ACP 1911

I have a son that is very recoil shy. He does not like shooting even his 30-30 or the 300 blackout I built for him. Had to load some 125 grain mouse fart loads for him to shoot the 30-30 more than a few times at a setting or shoot subsonic loads in the 300 blackout. But he will shoot 230 grain hardball loads going 850 fps out of my Kimber all day long. I think it has more to do with setting and shooting the rifles and standing and shooting the 1911 more than anything. He also loves shooting my Ruger Blackhawk 45 Long Colt with 255 gr Cowboy loads going 850 fps. The Ruger shoots much softer with the cowboy loads than the 1911 does going the same fps and I did start him on that.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by second chance View Post
    My 50th edition Lyman manual shows two similar Lyman lead bullets both weighing 200gr with 1 grain different starting loads. I bought cast bullets from two different sources both 200grain and Hytek coated, but both slightly different. example- one has lube channel and the other does not. How do I determine the starting grains for these? I haven't reloaded in about 22yrs, in fact, I just last night pulled my press out and mounted it and started cleaning it and removing surface rust. Today I'm checking and cleaning the dies.
    When loading cast bullets I simply look up the bullet weight and go from there. I don't start at max listed loads either but rather about 5 tenths or 1 grain under max. To me and others may not feel this way I don't worry about bullet shape just weight.

Boolit Master
    Start with either load and see what works the best. I have Lyman #49 and it's got similar variances between probably the same bullets you are looking at. Worst case scenario is that the gun doesn't cycle automatically and you'll get some practice clearing jams.

One thing to note is that bullets without lube grooves will have more air space behind the bullet and therefore less pressure. Using the higher staring load would probably be just fine for those bullets.

45 ACP Has some load data that's all over the board. There are some real light loads out there and conversely some loads that really pack a punch. It's a really versatile round.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks all for the input. I thought I was ready to start loading, but I can't find my large primer pick up tube, I'll have to order one. Family reunion next weekend, so It'll be a bit, dang it!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234