Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paperpatch sticking to bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    the cookie needs to fill the neck completely, leaving just enough room to seat the bullet: definitely go bigger - and what are you doing re. fouling management?

Boolit Buddy
    I run a patch every 5 shots. As I am developing a load that will shoot better than 10" at 100m. I figure I should do all 5 at once. I do blow tube between shots. The idea is for a hunting load where I could be taking a follow up shot. I was thinking I should save the filler a bit and add more grease cookie.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    One other thing that can make the base of the patch stick to the bullet is crimp.
    Anything other than powder used for a filler won't do much to bring about good accuracy.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't use any filler, and blowtube only - or wipe every shot. And she'll easily shoot better than 4" at 100 if you do your thing

Boolit Buddy
    I use just enough filler to bring the level of material just to the base of the neck. When I drop tube 85gr I need 15gr of cow/Fffg mix to accomplish this. So should I just add more powder to just get to the neck base? Unfortunately I don't have any fg and have been using ffg and I won't be getting any fg for a while. Thanks

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I would say yes to add more powder even if it is 2f. Don't drop tube it, so it doesn't take quite as much.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy
    I know this sounds like heresy, but I'd say to omit the filler, don't increase the powder quantity and leave air in that (huge) case. If you don't feel comfortable with that, use foam backing rod - but keep away from granular filler: the tend to increase pressures in abrupt BN cases like 577-450, and can even rip necks off in extreme cases.
    FWIW,
    I have shot 1000+ rounds with a bit of airspace between lube cookie and powder level, works just fine. And don't droptube - you drop tube in order to compact the powder, so you can get more in the case - but the 577-450 case is already way bigger than needed, so certainly no need to make things worse and compact the powder so you can fit more...
    Last edited by martinibelgian; 08-25-2017 at 03:05 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the information. Greatly appreciated, now I have some more playing around to do.

Banned

punched out 1/8" thick dry felt wads make for good fillers.

Mgvande
    You never described the bullet your using other then a slick. Some will call a GG a slick when they wrap it with paper.
    If your using a grooved bullet and patch it chances are that when the soft lead you said your using will compress the bullet grooves and hold the paper.
    If your using one of the hollow based bullets from a Lee mould and twist the tail in the hollow or cup based bullet it will hold the patch that is inside of the case mouth. Any of this plus if your blow tubing and getting to much moisture the patch will stick in the grooves if your patching a grooved bullet of even a proper PP bullet (with out lube grooves) undersized using soft alloys the wrinkles when the base gets pushed forward. Running a bullet through a sizing die that is way over sized or using a lube on the patch can stick the patch. Lube on a naked bullet left on when running it through a die. Gluing a patch with egg white I see some using to keep the patch fron unraveling is a sure thing for paper sticking on the bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm using a flat sided bullet for pp. flat based. I think it is 470gr. I loaded some more with very little water just to get them on but I haven't been able to hit the range yet. Perhaps tonight.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    Yes they do - but NOT in bottleneck cases...

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    Using organic fillers like corn meal, cream of wheat, grits in bottle necked cases is not the best thing to use below the case necks they turn into a solid mass like these corn meal bullets I make for forming .44-90 bottle necked cases from straight wall basic brass. they will spike the chamber pressure if you use it below the shoulder.
    Attachment 202771

Boolit Buddy
    So I think I have to up my charge slightly and not drop tube so I get just to where the neck starts. This will get rid of the pressure problems regarding fillers. I will try this out as I'm still wary of leaving an air space. I actually have a different problem with a 43 Beaumont. I am using heavy bullets and not much of a neck.

Boolit Buddy
    You can always use foam backing rod cut to the correcdt length - too much powder does hurt (1 got to somewhere between 100-110grs of powder before getting rid of all the airspace, not droptubed, uncompressed) and isn't good for accuracy - been there, done that...

Boolit Buddy
    I can give that foam rod a go. I just shot another 5 shot group last night with double the cookie I usually do and I am now getting grease at the muzzle. I did find a circle of patch at 100 meters from the back of the bullet. That's no good so I will follow advice and ensure the whole back of the bullet is not covered in paper. I am getting 8" 'groups' which is an improvement. I noticed that the back of my bullet gets a very slight depression after sizing as the alloy is soft. I'm thinking I can toss a veg wad under while I am sizing to mitigate this. The new paper I am using seems to be not sticking to the sides judging the slugs I dug up. I will try further testing after I'm back from Bighorn hunting. This has been a struggle to get this gun shooting but my bore is nice and shiny after blasting off all these pp rounds. An elk is going to get it this fall with this gun.

Banned

fwiw and if it's of any help, my ppb 200 yard .45-70 cartridge load. starline brass, 60.3 grains of swiss 1-1/2f w/.030 compression, two .025 milk carton wads, two .125" hard dry duro-felt wads, two .025 milk carton wads, .443 406 grain 1:20 slick (accurate molds), two wraps of papermill 9# onion paper (dry, open back w/no tail), fed 210 LRP. all wads cut on a press mounted cornell wad die. bore wipers used between shots for fouling control. i can usually get 2moa out of this load if shooting conditions (and me) are right ... sometimes better, if my eyes and trigger finger are on a really good roll as well.

Boolit Buddy
    How do you find seating the pp with no back? Any hang ups on the case mouth?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mgvande View Post
    How do you find seating the pp with no back? Any hang ups on the case mouth?
    these are flat based slicks. 'open back' means no twisted tail and the paper is wrapped around the base edge for about 3/16", like these ....

Boolit Grand Master

I wrap the same way RFD my "center" is a little smaller than yours but there is a small opening there. I use a patching board and get very consistant results at the base. the patch is set to the rail and the stop is on the bullets nose. any variance is in the height of the patch on the bullet. This has worked very well for me. A flat base is much better than the tail as the push is square and even

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast