Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Paperpatch sticking to bullet.

Boolit Master

I use cotton balls to take up the space in the case. The trick I found is that cotton balls are actually cotton rolls and if you unroll them before stuffing them in the case they blast out in a cloud of lint. If left rolled up they can come out as a burning blob.

Boolit Buddy
    I will try this. It was my next step but it's good to know it's working for people. This paperpatching if really affecting my home life. Back to the garage.

Boolit Buddy
    I used the foam backer and my groups improved significantly. I shot 4 with pp with neck tension and 5 without neck tension just press fit. And both groups sized at 4".
    Last edited by Mgvande; 09-01-2017 at 11:00 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paper-Patch_zps99a3a92d_1.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	205971

I have had it happen and boy is it detrimental to your score.

There were patched wet and I believe I had just too much patch folded into the base.

These were from the muzzle loader by the way, not the BPCR & the distance was 100M.

I got around it by cutting three slits in the ones I had left...apparently it was common practice back in the day with target shooters?
    Don't follow me, I'm lost too!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the help regarding this. I ended up with foam backer rod as a filler and I dry patched. I left a little bit of the base centre exposed for good measure. Friction fit into an unsized case neck. It was good enough to get a deer at any rate.

Boolit Grand Master

another difference in the different papers is the "fillers and coatings" in them. Heavier papers have more clay and coating for finish. These can soften paper when wetted to wrap. Another with the thicker papers is they don't cut as well or as clean, when wrapped tight and laid down smoothly if they don't cut they may not unwind as easily or as quickly.
    Watch in front of the muzzle for the confetti, it should be the outer wrap in confetti or strips and the under layer base fold showing rifling engraving marks. Using white paer a dark colored blanket spread in front of the muzzle will show them easier also.

Boolit Buddy
    Here's a video by Rob at Britishmuzzleloaders in which he paper patches smooth bullets for a Martini-Henry.

He does things a little different from what some are some are suggesting here, but if nothing else maybe this adds a little to the discussion.
    He uses vellum paper, cotton ball as a filler, a milk carton wad, a grease cookie of about a 1/4 inch, followed by two more milk carton wads to separate the grease cookie from the bullet the bullet (preventing the paper patch from sticking to the bullet?) and then seats the bullet.
    He tries a couple of different bullet sizes, including a .451 tapered service bullet and parallel .457 modified service bullet. He ends up shooting about a 4" group with the .457, with one flyer. Just over 3 inches with the flyer removed.
    Fouling management is with a blow tube.

I don't know if his techniques or results are good, bad or somewhere in-between. I don't shoot BPCR or paper patch bullets, but I found the video interesting. I wanted to find out a little more about paper patching, which brought me to this thread. Very interesting stuff.
    Last edited by John 242; 12-18-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Boolit Master
    For anyone who paper patches it is good to read the stickies in here about paper and how it is made. Different papers have much different properties.

Boolit Buddy
    If your paper patch is sticking to your bullet, you are doing something wrong.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpsguy View Post
    If your paper patch is sticking to your bullet, you are doing something wrong.
    I agree with this assessment.

Banned

this is what you want to see after firing off a ppb ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123