WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Winchester 94 action 70s eria

Winchester 94 action 70s eria

What has happened to the post 94 actions??? you see Barrels,Wood, small parts & stuff !! would any of you guys have an idea of a source
    for one with out the kitchen sink ?????? Out of all my winchesters I have a need for one kinda krazy ..I've been so focused on the
    1894s all these years and now a project came up and a 70s 94 would be perfect !!!!!

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

I've been playing with guns since well before the post-64's were introduced, and have NEVER seen a Model 94 action (only) for sale - durn near every other part, but never an action.

There's most likely 2 reasons why:

1) The receiver is a Federally-controlled (GCA-68) part, since it is a firearm with a serial number.

2) The 1964-82 receivers are not forged steel, except for the BigBore 94's - they were pressed together from powdered metal via a process called "sintering", are difficult to finish so that it looks like a "normal" blued Winchester, and will rust at a glance.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    The early post-1964 receivers were made of cast graphitic steel (standard for post-64 Model 94's). Graphitic Cast Steel is a low carbon steel with the same yield strength as the pre-64 Model 64 billet steel that Winchester previously used. It permitted investment casting and provided the same strength receiver, very high wear resistance, and lower manufacturing costs. The receiver bluing is different from earlier models (black oxide) because the graphitic cast steel does not take bluing very well. Later models (1969) were plated to obtain the desired bluing shade, but the 1968 models were not plated. I suspect that you cannot find any receivers alone because with the very high wear resistance of graphitic cast steel (due to a graphite matrix within the steel) they don't wear out much. They also are very resistant to rust (mine is 49 years old and exposed to plenty of weather and sweaty hands, and hasn't got a speck of rust). Many people were suspicious of the post-64's due to the changes Winchester made, but those of us who own one, and have learned how well they last, one rarely are willing to give it up.
    Hick: Iron sights!

It just strange that Millions were made and with all the barrels laying around You'd think these buggers would be in every gun guys junk !! I have 2 1894
    actions i'm using from my "Parts Drawer" and would really like to replace these with the post '64 actions !!! My Junk Drawer is empty LoL It seems I may need
    to go Pawn Shop Junking!!!! or find a rancher that has a 30-30 behind the seat of the old truck seat !!!!!

Ol Deuce

Round here, the early post 64 models sell for300-350, just like the later angle eject models. I have a fine winchester 94 made in 71 for 1/3 the cost of a pre 64 in the same condition.

Boolit Master
    I engine turn 70's receivers. They look great and once oiled don't rust. While I am at it, I loosen the bands and slick up the action and stick on a receiver sight. I also raise the price and get it.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

In Remembrance
    Ok, what is engine turn??? You has done went and lost me. lol

Quote Originally Posted by olafhardt View Post
    I engine turn 70's receivers. They look great and once oiled don't rust. While I am at it, I loosen the bands and slick up the action and stick on a receiver sight. I also raise the price and get it.
    How do you find the actions to ...." ENGINETURN" ???? thats all I'm looking for

Ol Deuce

Boolit Buddy
    I found a receiver with a broken tang at an antique shop for $19.
    Needless to say I snatched it right up!
    It was made in 1966, the year I was born. It was fate I guess.
    I rebarreled it and gathered all the parts for it. I have less than $200 into it.
    I need to refinish it and work out the sights. I am not satisfied with what I put on it.

Another one I bought off of gunbroker. It was made in 1898 and was a 38-55. He stripped out a complete gun and sold off the parts.
    I have a 20 inch octagon barrel for it and am going to make it into a short rifle when I can get more time and money.

Stripped receivers are around, just have to look hard and buy right to get the parts nice and cheap.

Boolit Master
    I think most folks would keep the action and rechamber as so many great cals. can be done without altering bolt or ejector....25/35, 30/30. 32 ws , .32/40, 38/55, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by modified5 View Post
    I found a receiver with a broken tang at an antique shop for $19.
    Needless to say I snatched it right up!
    It was made in 1966, the year I was born. It was fate I guess.
    I rebarreled it and gathered all the parts for it. I have less than $200 into it.
    I need to refinish it and work out the sights. I am not satisfied with what I put on it.

Another one I bought off of gunbroker. It was made in 1898 and was a 38-55. He stripped out a complete gun and sold off the parts.
    I have a 20 inch octagon barrel for it and am going to make it into a short rifle when I can get more time and money.

Stripped receivers are around, just have to look hard and buy right to get the parts nice and cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    I think most folks would keep the action and rechamber as so many great cals. can be done without altering bolt or ejector....25/35, 30/30. 32 ws , .32/40, 38/55, etc.

Yes I know......The 2 actions I had were very early 1894s and I've been playing around with my WildCat barrels !! I just can't see myself opening up
    the rail guides for the fatter cartridges ! That's why Post 94 actions would be perfect ! Plus they have external rail screws Double Perfect !!!!!!

Ol Deuce

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OlDeuce View Post
    How do you find the actions to ...." ENGINETURN" ???? thats all I'm looking for

Ol Deuce
    Well Deuce, a guy at a gun show once looked at my Colt Police Positive armadillo killer and commented," It's amazing at what lengths a person will go to to screw up a good gun." You just have to shop around. One thing us Bubbas do is "experiment" on guns to "improve" them. The last 94 I got to play with had a side mount epoxied on and epoxy had run into some of the holes on the left side. I got it for $249. When Bubba Junior finds out he can't "build" an AR out of Granpa's model 94 it gets traded. I predict the price on 94's will decline, they are out of fasion and too common to become rare. I went into one of my haunts and noticed the shelf space full of 94's had doubled. His electric bill will come due.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Quote Originally Posted by olafhardt View Post
    Well Deuce, a guy at a gun show once looked at my Colt Police Positive armadillo killer and commented," It's amazing at what lengths a person will go to to screw up a good gun." You just have to shop around. One thing us Bubbas do is "experiment" on guns to "improve" them. The last 94 I got to play with had a side mount epoxied on and epoxy had run into some of the holes on the left side. I got it for $249. When Bubba Junior finds out he can't "build" an AR out of Granpa's model 94 it gets traded. I predict the price on 94's will decline, they are out of fasion and too common to become rare. I went into one of my haunts and noticed the shelf space full of 94's had doubled. His electric bill will come due.
    Thats so very true all those AR's are good for is War or burning up ammo !!! I guess I out grew the need for autos and I'd love to get there Dads '94 and keep it going ! Contribute to there AR fund LoL ......No I'll find one soon!! LoL It's still fun looking .........Ol Deuce