MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Biathlon rifle

Boolit Grand Master

Biathlon rifle

Anyone have one????
    I've always been interested in the action.
    I've seen the Anshutz. Interesting bolt lock up with little ball bearings.
    Krico with the pivoting pistol grip action.
    I remember seeing a Krico with a short lever type action.
    I have a Izhmash Biathlon trainer. All I could afford. Action is not a "user friendly" as the Anshutz.
    What happens to all the old, used, biathlon rifles?????
    Never seen one for sale on auctions.

Moderator Emeritus

I refereed, judged or ran the targets at several summer Biathlon events. Savage and Mossburg donated rifles to use, [reciever was the Western MT Biathlon Club], Federal donated Match Ammo. We had several hundred shooters running in the general class and about 20 in the advanced. [several on the US team or Alternates, professional shooters employed by the US Army etc.]. The Russians made an affordable rifle called the Baikal. It had an Aunschutz type action but the bbl was of a differing quality. I believe most are sold to newer shooters advancing in the sport. I have never seen a Baikal for sale outside of ordering one through event sponsors. The Savage would outshoot the Mossburg 2-1. If I were a new shooter with a limited budget I would try to adapt a Browning T bolt to a 5 shot magazine.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I rather like the toggle action as well. I never see the rifles cheap, but occasionally see them at gun shows.

On an unfortunate note, it appears PWS discontinued their Summit toggle-action 10/22.

Boolit Master
    Like Mt Gianni, I officiated and helped with set up at several smaller local summer biathlon events in the Puget Sound area. All the participants I saw were athletes but not shooters so I could not judge the quality of the of those fine rifles in their hands. Honestly, my old Marlin stainless bolt action in the hands of a "gun person" in shape enough to compete could easily outshoot the non-gun athletes with those gorgeous rifles. What I wanted to find (and still do) is one of those biathlon slings for my hunting forays on a mountain bike.

Boolit Master

wish I grew up where the sport happens. I would have loved to do that sport it might be my favorite winter sport.

Boolit Buddy

The biathlon slings are custom made for the most part but they are available. I have seen a few and made a few. I have one on my TKIV 85 Finnish rifle for snow shoeing.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Well today I learned about it it the Steyr RFR, so now I need to own one of those.

Boolit Master
    My favorite form of biathlon was to be found in central Nevada after one of those heavy snows that carpet the desert valley floors near Ely. We would ski through the deer's wintering benches along the mountains and execute coyotes as we found them. My ultra-light 22 Hornet was perfect for the job since under those conditions, we could often ski faster than the coyotes could run. Once some local ranchers watched us with binoculars from the highway a mile away as we worked around a flock of trapped sheep being circled by several coyotes. The ranchers were very happy. I wish we could have gotten down there last winter when the conditions were perfect but, alas, it wasn't to be.

Boolit Master
    Back when it was locally popular, late 80's - 90's, Marlin built a bolt rifle that had a magazine option kit for biathalon. IIRC the first ones had a blue B&C stock, later they were a grey laminate. They shot very well for the money.

http://www.marlinforum.com/The-Marli...et-Rifles.html

I've not seen them in any form in years, but there were more than a few made.

Boolit Master
    my anshutz circa 1972 when i competed.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    Mo... looks like the '73 model 1411 I bought in South TX about then... still have it and it still shoots great, even though I don't.

Boolit Master
    actually it's the model 54-R

Had one. Went to CO Springs for Biathalon training with the Anshutz.
    The altitude was a killer.
    Met the biggest bunch of elitist spoiled rich brats I have ever met in my life so I left.
    I never ever watched another Olympic event after that.
    Also note, the kids competing in these events are the ones that didn't cripple themselves up for the rest of their lives to attempt to win a gold medal.

At one time this event used man size calibers. Not sure how it got demasculated to .22 caliber...................
    Last edited by Just Duke; 08-30-2017 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    Like Mt Gianni, I officiated and helped with set up at several smaller local summer biathlon events in the Puget Sound area. All the participants I saw were athletes but not shooters so I could not judge the quality of the of those fine rifles in their hands. Honestly, my old Marlin stainless bolt action in the hands of a "gun person" in shape enough to compete could easily outshoot the non-gun athletes with those gorgeous rifles. What I wanted to find (and still do) is one of those biathlon slings for my hunting forays on a mountain bike.
    Were you guys water skiing? Your 1 to 2 slow ferry trips and a couple hours to the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    Looks like the single shot model. Mine had a flip down muzzle cover.
    I sure don't miss the snow

Missed the Ely part Quill