RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No eclipse glass

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Haven't dealt with any more crazies than usual so far. Peeked at the sun to see the 97% eclipse. Still able to see. Did look through some glasses and was cool to see
    I'm pretty sure the fella on the right, didn't use his special glasses to look at the eclipse.

Attachment 202334
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

My wife asked me about what it would take to look at it earlier today and whether sun glasses would be good enough. I told her it wouldn't, but she could create a pinhole camera and look at the image displayed on a piece of paper or use a special darkness of lens for a welding helmet. She was like, "nawh, that's too much trouble, I'll pass". I said, "yeah, I agree... it would take all of 30 seconds for me to walk out to the garage and get my welding helmet". OK, maybe a bit more than that since I ended up having to wash all the dirt off of it since it has been awhile since I've used it. I guess I should clean it once every 15 years whether it needs it or not.

We were only supposed to get 67% of an eclipse, so not worth even the 30 seconds of effort to go get it out of the garage. And right at the time when it was supposed to be the most covered, a large cloud moves in front of it. Rather underwhelming...

Boolit Man
    At a couple of oregon coast locations, it showed totally fogged in beaches. One of the reporters was really frustrated, and you could tell it by the way she was for lack of words. Some other people who were interviewed said it was a ''spiritual experience'', some said they were for lack of words to describe how they felt. Some even mentioned they almost, or did cry??

Boolit Master

I invited a girl friend (who lives on the other side of Tucson) to come view the eclipse with me. Asked her to come @8AM - she arrived @7AM! caught me in my black panties and a T-shirt! Already had my shower & shave, and was on the computer, planning to get fully dressed 7:30ish, but - no drama. I let her in and abandoned her to her own devices and went to my room and put on some cargo shorts and slippers - and we sat on the patio, chatted, and occasionally put the pinhole I made (drilled 5/16 & 3/8 holes in a large cardboard box) out to check the progress. It progressed. No dimming of light that I could detect, maybe a trace cooler, then warmer as the event finished. She had stuff to do, so left about 1PM.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1696.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	202339
    I don't know why the blue tint - just copier paper...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    Quite frankly, I don't get all the hype and excitement...
    I didn't look at it...watching the local area at 80% of totality, you really couldn't tell it was occurring.
    The area in the open were quite bright and the shaded areas were about as well defined as any full sunlight day in August.
    If you hadn't known there was an eclipse, you wouldn't have even noticed it happened.
    Pretty underwhelming unless you were in the totality zone, IMHO.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 375supermag View Post
    Hi...
    If you hadn't known there was an eclipse, you wouldn't have even noticed it happened.
    Pretty underwhelming unless you were in the totality zone, IMHO.
    Pretty much the same here at 93%. You could tell the temp dropped & sunlight dimmed.
    Underwhelming? Depends on what was expected.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    BAD ADVICE do not do this. With the main part of the sun darkened your eyes will open wide, the corona brightness is high enough to sear your retinas. Use proper equipment, use the pinhole trick etc!
    I must have missed the thousands of stories last year of kids and adults going blind looking at the sun. In fact, I can't seem to find a story of anyone that went blind from doing this in the USA ever. Total myth
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I must have missed the thousands of stories last year of kids and adults going blind looking at the sun. In fact, I can't seem to find a story of anyone that went blind from doing this in the USA ever. Total myth
    well the odds are in your favor...87 years or so till the next one, i'll have forgotten by then.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Attachment 202371

Drilled a 5/16 hole in a piece of plywood and watched it on the shop floor .
    Oh boy what a thrill . ( My very best Eore voice )

What is amazing is that the moon traveled 6500 miles from perceived touch across and off . So what about LA to London or Honolulu to NYC in just under 2 hours .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Moderator Emeritus

Your eyes, I prefer to not burn mine when a pinhole viewer takes all of 10 seconds to make, or walk to the garage and get the welding helmet. But I got up at 10AM(I am a night owl in case you don't know, got to bed at 5AM), walked downstairs and disconnected the ham antennas and rotor cables, unplugged the DSL line, unplugged computer and TV and the solar power to the desk, finished 2 minutes before we had a lightning hit on the neighbors electric fence around his horse pasture. I heard antenna leads snap over and the surge protectors all made a racket as they shunted the induced voltage to ground in my protection box on the wall outside. After that I crawled back into bed and slept 3 more hours since it was dark and raining... no reason to get up!

Got up, replaced 3 of 4 antenna line protectors so I can fix the fried ones, replaced the solar panel line protector at both ends... minimal other damage. With my ground system on the towers the house is semi protected form a direct strike. It drains the charge off so it finds a different route... like the neighbors horse pasture fence...

Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    well the odds are in your favor...87 years or so till the next one, i'll have forgotten by then.
    There will be another eclipse in seven years.
    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/next-total...195734099.html
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. " --(Thomas Jefferson)

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug pusher an unlicensed pharmacist."

When you put Political Correctness ahead of justice, you get no justice.
    Mark Fuhrman

Name:	DSC_0199_small.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	202387

It was pretty cool here..... So happy to have the opportunity to share this with my kids!

Name:	DSC_0178_small.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	202388
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Name:	DSC_0240_small.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	202389Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0242_small.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	202390
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Name:	DSC_0173_small.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	202391

I think this one pretty much says it all!

Boolit Master

A solar eclipse is one of those things that it's nice to see once or twice, but after that, it's not really worth staying up for...

Boolit Master
    I traveled 120 miles yesterday with my camper and spent the night in a friends yard. Drove another 60 miles this morning to be right in the center of totality. I just about talked myself out of it since I live in a 97% area. I got to see the difference between the 97% I would have seen and totality. I know not everyone was able to get into a area of totality but those who could have and didn't missed a great show.
    Last edited by jimlj; 08-22-2017 at 02:15 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I'm pretty sure the fella on the right, didn't use his special glasses to look at the eclipse.

Attachment 202334

That reminds me of an awesome album! All you Floyd fans should know this one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    That reminds me of an awesome album! All you Floyd fans should know this one.
    Yep, "Wish You Were Here."
    Local rock station played the "Dark Side of the Moon" album in its entirety during the eclipse today. Pretty cool, and a great choice of music for the event!

Boolit Bub
    Neighbor took this here in southern IN.

Boolit Grand Master

After all the hype, it was very underwhelming. I'm in the 95% area and it was slightly overcast. I saw on TV what I was missing and was still not impressed. Maybe it's because of my age and experience, but there were other news stories that held much more interest. If not for the hype I would hardly have noticed.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast