Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Repackbox

Thread: Ceiling fan light question

Boolit Grand Master

Ceiling fan light question

I have to replace a ceiling fan.
    I have it wired so the light works off the wall switch, and not the remote.
    It has a fluorescent light bulb with plug in box ballast.
    I bypassed the wires from the control box to the ballast, and wired directly to the wall switch.
    All the new fans I've looked at have LED lights now.
    Not to sure how LED lights work. Don't see any ballast box in the pictures.
    Can I do the same as I did with the fluorescent, and wire the LED directly to the wall switch?????

The fan motor on these have a life time warranty.
    The control box does not.
    Box is almost the cost of a new fan.

I'm not understanding what it is you had done and need to do.
    you can probably find your answer here . . .
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+a+ceiling+fan

In my house the remote controls the light and fan function - I just had to wire the remote box
    to the correct wires and route power to the unit (swag kit) - If you have an overhead box
    does it have separate circuits for light and fan?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

LED lights are self contained and the wiring is the same as for an incandescent. Is that the question you are asking?
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

You should be able to wire the fan/light to the wall switch as before.

Though not directly the same, I recently replaced an exhaust fan/light in the bathroom. The old one used an incandescent bulb, and the new one has a built-in LED. I wired the new one up to the wall switch the same way as the old one.

One thing to note about LEDs is that if you are using a dimmer, yes, you didn't mention that, but if you decide to change out switch, you MUST buy LEDs that can be dimmed! No if and or buts! Flicker city otherwise

Boolit Master

Several posts above have said it. If a ballast is involved it must be listed as dimmable, otherwise it will not work with the dimmer. For the most part fluorescent tubes are non dimmable. Especially the early ones. It is improving, but not there yet as far as flickering is concerned. The LEDs should dim fine if hooked up as before with incandescent bulbs. Basically you will wire your ceiling fan the same as an ordinary light. Then use the pull cords on the fixture to operate the light/fan. Once you get them set to your liking, just use the wall switch for control.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Moderator Emeritus

If you are removing everything from the old fan/light fixture (including ballast).
    and installing everything new, from the new fan/light...then yes you can hook up the LED light directly to your wall switch...but as mentioned, if your wall switch is a dimmer, be sure the LED fixture is dimmable, it will say so, on the box or in the manual.

I have installed four, different, new, inexpensive ceiling fans (all with light fixtures) in the past 3 years...two of them came with a wireless remote...what a great option to have for an OLD house with minimal wiring and few wall switches. All of them had incandescent bulbs with various different bases. I replaced all the incandescent with LEDs...but I found some of the LEDs make noise on AM radio...if you like to listen to AM radio?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

If the original wiring was 12-3 w/Ground you can also get a double switch to fit in a single box. The switches are vertically stacked like outlets. You can then run one switch for the fan and the other for the light. Other than loosing a remote, or having a remote that takes batteries you can only get from Amazon, remotes are the way to go.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I replaced all the incandescent with LEDs...but I found some of the LEDs make noise on AM radio...if you like to listen to AM radio?
    We have replaced most of the fluorescent in our house with LEDs - because the fluorescents interfered with the home network WIFI signal - the LEDs don't - something to keep in mind if your experiencing issues with your WIFI connected pad/laptop/TV/etc
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

CFL bulbs really suck.

Boolit Grand Master
    This place is great.
    We must have the most knowledgeable membership on the net.
    Thank you all.
    My question has been answered.

Side note.;
    I started to check the web to see if I could find the receiver for this fan.
    I found that I could replace it with a wireless control kit I had gotten a while ago.
    I got the kit to try and fix another fan. It didn't work.
    The fan is a Hampton Bay.
    Luckily the kit is also made by Hampton Bay.
    The fan has all kind of timers, breeze, temperature turn on, options on it.
    The kit is just a turn/off.
    I figured "what the heck. I'll try it" Nothing to lose but a little time.
    Happy to report it works like new.
    Don't know why the other fan didn't work, but I'll be buying Hampton Bay fans from now on.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    One thing to note about LEDs is that if you are using a dimmer, yes, you didn't mention that, but if you decide to change out switch, you MUST buy LEDs that can be dimmed! No if and or buts! Flicker city otherwise
    This is true, I replaced all my bulbs with led and when I hit the dimmer it was like a rave hit my kitchen

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I thought it was bull, at first, but I tried a couple and yep, rave is just about the best description. Bt2, I had one of the dimmable bulbs start acting up the other day, moved to St socket and it still flicker. Oh well. I'm testing a bulb in a ceiling fan now. Nio dimmer. Small base, so std bulbs are relatively expensive any way. I estimate about a 6 month payback as I use 60 watt bulbs in it. If they Last a couple of years in it is worth it.