Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: .22LR barrel chambered to 22 Hornet

.22LR barrel chambered to 22 Hornet

I hope this is a good question ????any way I want to re-chamber a Match Grade .22LR barrel to .22Hornet! Is this Bad??
    .22LR is .225 and the Hornet is .2245??

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Master
    Rimfire is more .222 /.223 realm. This was how the Hornet began, but be aware many rimfire barrels are frequently 1100 series steel which does not have the strength of the chromemoly steels commonly used for center fire barrels. Plus the tight bore issue, it will work but there are probably better choices for a Hornet barrel. Try the gunsmith specials from Green Mountain barrel CO as a possibility.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Rimfire is more .222 /.223 realm. This was how the Hornet began, but be aware many rimfire barrels are frequently 1100 series steel which does not have the strength of the chromemoly steels commonly used for center fire barrels. Plus the tight bore issue, it will work but there are probably better choices for a Hornet barrel. Try the gunsmith specials from Green Mountain barrel CO as a possibility.
    What he said.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Thats good Info..........Thank you both!!! I'll find out more information on my barrel !! It's like New in a TC .....Was trying to pull this off without
    throwing tons of cash at it !!!! 218 Bee ????? Hmmm

Ol Deuce

Boolit Bub
    I've got a 22 RF rechambered to 22Khornet and it works just fine

Banned
    Rechambered rimfires is why Sierra still makes .223 bullets. The first 22 Hornet was built on a M-1 22 rimfire Springfield by the "four Ws".

Cast boolits will work just fine.

Boolit Master

Back in the olden days a popular conversion was to rechamber S&W M-17 to K Hornet. They use 224 bullets in them. Worked fine. ( not hearsay, I owned one of them)
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    Considering the fact you are working with a Contender barrel, you may want to check your actual bore dia, ever know what they used from time to time. As others have said, with cast no issue. I have owned several .223 bored Hornet's and they didn't seem to much care about 223 or 224 bullet dia( jackets). But if you can find a bee or Hornet barrel, I can help you out with that TC long rifle barrel
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by OlDeuce View Post
    I hope this is a good question ????any way I want to re-chamber a Match Grade .22LR barrel to .22Hornet! Is this Bad??
    .22LR is .225 and the Hornet is .2245??

Ol Deuce
    On this I was measuring the bullets and not the bore ! but I'm glad I asked this question .........I can come up with a chamber ream and the lathe way easier
    than a New Barrel ........I'm sure my barrel is a standard .223 barrel ! shooting lead I can size with no issues .....I feel its kind of a waste to have this .22 barrel
    that could be anything but a regular old .22 lol.........My Old .22 shooter is a 1921 Lewis ! haha and it still knows how to shoot the .22 shells LoL

Thanks again for setting me straight, It does help to get the input needed!!!
    Ol Deuce

Boolit Grand Master

The 22 LR barrels are rifled tighter than the 22 centerfires this is why the hornet originally shot 223 diameter bullets. Also the barrels would shoot out quickly with jacketed bullets. Better to get a proper barrel. I changed out a 223 bull barrel for a fellow and saved the tube and this is what you want for a modern 22 hornet.

Boolit Master
    I have a handi-rifle barrel with micro-groove in 22lr rechambered to 22 Hornet, it shoots 34gr HP's, 46gr and 50gr spire points pretty darn nice! With lilgun am getting 3000, 2800 and 2600 fps with no sign of high pressure. Cases are on their 5th loading. Todd/3leg

Quote Originally Posted by 3leggedturtle View Post
    I have a handi-rifle barrel with micro-groove in 22lr rechambered to 22 Hornet, it shoots 34gr HP's, 46gr and 50gr spire points pretty darn nice! With lilgun am getting 3000, 2800 and 2600 fps with no sign of high pressure. Cases are on their 5th loading. Todd/3leg
    Todd-3leg..........are you shoothin the 223 or the .224 ??????????? You in Northern Wyo.?????? Ol Deuce

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    The 22 LR barrels are rifled tighter than the 22 centerfires this is why the hornet originally shot 223 diameter bullets. Also the barrels would shoot out quickly with jacketed bullets. Better to get a proper barrel. I changed out a 223 bull barrel for a fellow and saved the tube and this is what you want for a modern 22 hornet.
    KCSO.....Is that a contender barrel ?????

Boolit Grand Master

No it was a take off from a Ruger #1 Varmit model that was converted to 7x57 for a customer. I have picked up a few barrels from Gunbroker parts auctions also. The Ruger barrel went into a 22 hornet conversion of a Savage 219 for another customer.

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    No it was a take off from a Ruger #1 Varmit model that was converted to 7x57 for a customer. I have picked up a few barrels from Gunbroker parts auctions also. The Ruger barrel went into a 22 hornet conversion of a Savage 219 for another customer.
    I have 2 0f the 219s ..............one is a 22Hornet and the other is a 30-40 with tons of proof marks !!! Winchester 1894s and Single Shots !! Life is Grand!!

Ol Deuce

Boolit Master
    Shooting .224 diameter bullets. I am not after max velocity, surprised by lilgun loads. I am in Brainerd, Minnesota. You interested in the barrel? Todd/3leg
    Mike Bellm would rechamber Contender barrels in 22lr to 22hornet and 218 Bee, said it worked great. I have a 21" match chamber Contender barrel redone to 22 Mag by him, that shoots really good to.
    Last edited by 3leggedturtle; 08-21-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3leggedturtle View Post
    Shooting .224 diameter bullets. I am not after max velocity, surprised by lilgun loads. I am in Brainerd, Minnesota. You interested in the barrel? Todd/3leg
    Mike Bellm would rechamber Contender barrels in 22lr to 22hornet and 218 Bee, said it worked great. I have a 21" match chamber Contender barrel redone to 22 Mag by him, that shoots really good to.
    hahaha I'm think ahead right now!! I was thinking of buying the ream and cutting the chamber myself!! I did my 44 mag to 44-56WC and did 2 of my Old Winchesters to 44-56WC Fun round She makes a big thunk on the gong!!! I'm about 850 miles West of you LoL Thanks Todd !

Ol Deuce

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    The biggest issue may be the 1/16 rifling twist more than the .222 bore diameter. Also you will need a different reamer pilot.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player