WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: 7.63x25 Mauser VS 7.62x25 Tokarev dies

Boolit Master

7.63x25 Mauser VS 7.62x25 Tokarev dies

30 or more years ago I purchased a Mauser Broomhandle in 7.63x25 Mauser and some ammo for it and reloading dies. After working up some reloads and loosing a bunch of my brass, my interest drifted to reloading revolvers. Sometime after that I purchased a pistol that shoots a 7.62x25 Tokarev round. I don't see dies anywhere advertised for this round, but I see Starline has brass for sale for it. My question is, are these two rounds close enough that I can use the 7.63x25 Mauser dies to reload the 7.62x25 Tokarev round? Do any of you have any recommendations for producing reloads for this? I even spent some time converting 223 brass for the Broomhandle and was pretty successful at that. But the reaming was always a problem. So Starline brass is a big attraction in getting back into these pistols. Plus a shooting range with a brass catcher.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I've been using a Lee die set for 7.62x25 to successfully reload the Starline brass for my TT33 and Cz52 pistols. I'm using the Accurate 31-100T bullet with 5 grains of Bullseye. You should be able to use the Lee dies to load .30 Mauser brass also, if you back off the seater die a bit so that the .030" longer neck of the Mauser case does not impinge against the crimping shoulder of the shorter Tokarev die.

If you already have .30 Mauser dies, you should be able to load for the Tokarev with them, as long as bullets fit tightly enough in the case neck that they don't telescope back when they strike the feed ramp. I don't know whether your .30 Mauser dies can be adjusted to crimp the shorter neck of the Tok case.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    What I have is the 7.63x25 Mauser dies already, wanting to know if they can be used to reload the 7.62x25 Tokarev rounds for my CZ52.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Should be OK if bullets fit snug in case neck.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

It will work either way, but avoid the Tokarev charges in the Broomhandle.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have RCBS steel sizer dies for both calibers, and the 30 Mauser seater die will crimp the shorter Tokarev case mouth. Every length and radial dimension of the Tokarev round is just a few thousandths smaller than that of the Mauser, to include the shoulder position. Which sizing works in which pistol is dependant upon the pistol's dimensional quirks. My Type 54 ChiCom Tokarev will begin choking on Mauser-sized casings after about 3 magazine-fulls; size the cases in the Tokarev die, and the rounds run like water through a downspout. The CZ-52 doesn't give a rat's bee hind about ammo genesis--it is undiscerning as can be.

The 2 chamberings are VERY CLOSE, but not exactly the same.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Not only close dimensionally

But pressure limits are certainly much different.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master
    Things go further than just charted chamber specs. The Type 54's case neck clearance is very tight, and Chi-Com milsurp ammo accounted for this by using a .307" FMJ bullet to assure bullet release without pressure spikes. The groove diameter is .311", though--so if castings are on the menu, an adjustment needs to be made.

My route was to size the casings meant for this pistol without the expander ball in place. I next used a Forster 30 caliber neck reamer on 5 of the cases so sized to relieve some metal from the neck area. This worked, with both Hornady .312" bullets meant for the 32 H&R Mag and with castings sized @ .312". I reamed the rest of the 150 cases set aside for the Tokarev, and they remain in service presently.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I have Mauser C96 in excellent condition and a Cz52. I bought Starline Mauser brass and Redding (I think) dies for the Mauser. With new Wolf springs in the Mauser, I began feeding charges of Unique under an Accurate 105 gr .32-20 bullet sized .311 until the pistol cycled reliably. Tried the same loading in the CZ and it worked fine with reasoonable accuracy from both pistols. Velocity is right up there. Your mileage may vary.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master
    My CZ runs reliably with my Broomhandle-level loads (85 grains @ 1200 FPS) also. Its groove diameter is a close match to that of the Broomer, both are a few tenths either side of .309". The Chi-Com 54 is the odd duck.