WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello all. I Need help !

Boolit Mold

Exclamation Hello all. I Need help !

It's really an honor to join here. I'm Samuel Cruz and I'm new here. I was thinking to buy a new AR rifle for hunting purpose and I'm little bit confused to buy which one? I've two choices AR-10 and AR-15 caliber! My friend Mike told me to buy 6.5 Grendel AR15 upper with Barnes 120 gr TTSX. So guys can you suggest me the best? Also suggest me a better marketplace like I've purchased from moriartiarmaments.com last and I've experienced a really good service. So, Please help me guys!

Moderator Emeritus

Samuel,
    welcome to the forum.
    PM sent.
    I moved your thread to a more appropriate forum.
    I hope you get some good answers, it might help if you add what you want to hunt? Squirrel? Deer? Bear?

Now is surely the time to buy a AR, in regards to price, I often see the DPMS Oracle in 223/556 advertised at the local sports shop for $399 or a bit less.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Welcome to the forum, Samuel !

As stated above, what rifle to buy is best determined by drilling down on what/where you're thinking of hunting, as the AR-15 .223/5.56 & 6.5 Grendel are light game/varmint/target rifles, and the AR-10 .308 more suitable for larger game.

There's plenty of new AR's for sale, less epensive than where you've been doing business - just use your google-fu.

Last edited by pietro; 08-19-2017 at 11:27 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Welcome to the forum, Sam. I'm not much of an AR man myself, and it may not be the best choice for hunting. I'd consider other choices.
    Visit a couple of gun shops and chat with the folks behind the counter. Not all are experts or knowledgeable, but some are, and all input will help. Good luck with this. What a difficult decision to have to make!

First, do you plan to shoot cast or jacketed bullets? Check with the AR guys here first. They have done most of the trial and error. Cast can sometimes be finicky. Just requires proper boolit selection.

Remember the AR 10 platform usually commands more money. An AR10 in .243 could make a dandy varmint AND deer rifle, assuming it has a quick enough twist to handle the heavier boolits.

A .450 Bushmaster would also be an excellent choice for areas that only allow straight walled cartridges for deer. It is used in standard AR15's with a modified .223 magazine, and of course a modified upper. A thumper rifle that is pretty flat shooting to 200 yards.

The bad part is the 450 bush is commanding some premium prices. $899 and up. If you get a standard AR in .223, you can later put on a .450 upper. It should fit right on a mil spec lower with only the addition of a modified magazine.

450 uppers are going for around $600. The .223's are going for bargain basement prices. With one recent exception I seen, don't expect anything in a 450 bush or anything in an AR 10 platform to go for cheap.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 08-20-2017 at 04:46 AM.

Banned
    Let's start with the BASICS !

To the OP:
    1. What animals you plan to hunt ?
    2. What is your budget ?
    3. What restrictions (if any) does you state have hunting cartridges or hunting with a semi-auto ?
    4. Do you handload ?

Absent that information, any advice is worth what you pay for it.

I own 2 AR15s and 6 uppers, one AR10 and 4 uppers, happy to advise when you provide the four answers.

Boolit Master

Welcome aboard! By answering the above questions you'll get more specific help.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

Welcome

Check out some of this..Will give you some more choices so you can be even more confused.
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-10...te-rifles.html

Vendor Sponsor

The 6.5 Grendel is a great caliber. Very capable of deer at very long ranges if you hit the boiler room. My longest so far is a lasered distance of 437 yds.
    I have downed 3 pigs so far with mine longest being about 155-160 yds
    Be very careful in choosing the upper. You want the correct Alexander arms reamer cut chamber not the imitation Grendel 2 or PTG reamer cut chamber.
    Trust me on this
    18 or 20 barrel with MID length gas system will get you the most beneficial uses of the caliber FOR hunting purposes

Barnes ttsx, Hornady SST will both shoot well and are good game takers
    This is the only caliber I have that I don't cast for YET. Cant shake the feeling that there is no cast load that will ever match the accuracy at distance I get with quality handloaded Grendel SST's and 748 powder
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 08-20-2017 at 09:51 AM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    it sort of depends on what you are going to hunt. A .223 may be too small for deer, etc. Some states won't allow 22 calibers for deer hunting, etc. The 6.5 Grendel is good. But one could go with a .300 Blackout too, even a 7.62x39, or a 450 Bushmaster or .450 Socom for that matter, or even a .50 Beowulf. Then of course the AR10's using .308 Winchester is good as is the .243 Win or 6.5 Ceedmore too.

The neat thing about the AR 15 or AR10 platform is you can get different uppers and just swap out the upper from the lower to change calibers at will. The prices are good and so maybe it is the best time to get a AR.

Boolit Mold
    6.5 Grendel has been demonstrated to be an excellent cartridge for deer size game from close quarters and up to 350 yrds.
    Successful reports on the use of the .223/5.56 Nato for deer hunting are stating to show up on positive light. Winchester is now selling ammo specific for hunting boar and deer.
    If you choose the .223/5.56, keep your hunting distance to less than 125 yrds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold

Hello all. I Need help !

Addendum: the Winchester ammo I mentioned before is for deer and antelope:

Winchester 223 Super-X X223R2 64 Gr PSP 20 Rounds

Quote Originally Posted by steamburn View Post
    Addendum: the Winchester ammo I mentioned before is for deer and antelope:

Winchester 223 Super-X X223R2 64 Gr PSP 20 Rounds

Antelope maybe. Sounds to light for deer. As mentioned by steamburn, the good reports about .223 and deer just might be because AR's are shooting heavier boolits then they used to. A 1 in 7 twist can stabilize a 90 grain boolit. I think a 64 might wound as many as you harvest. Of course I say that without knowing anything about the bullet you referred to
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 08-21-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Boolit Master
    I'd start out with an inexpensive boltgun in .308 or 30/06, ARs are more for posing and not the best for hunting even varmints, both the cals. I mentioned are excellent cast bullet cals. as well.

I have and use ARs but when game is afoot I grab a lightweight powerful bolt or lever gun 9 of 10 times. AR 10s are great for holding a defensive position but carrying one hunting is work, not pleasure. I like MT Chambers take on this.
    Best, Thomas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    Amusing that the OP never answered the four basic questions, but is still getting advice based on who knows what.

Hunting deer with a 223 is like hunting with a bow or MZ ..... you better know what you are doing as there is little margin for error.

I've killed several deer with the
    .223 and more with the 22-250 and I consider both stand hunting guns. When I'm stalking or still hunting i'm carrying at least twice the bullet weight in
    .243 on up.

Banned
    You're good and "hunting" small TX deer from a stand.

He's a newbie AND that's all we know 1

Boolit Mold

here is the suggestion !

I would suggest this AR-15 300 AAC 14.5" Blackout Ballistic Advantage keymod tactical pistol kit for just $480, if you are going for that.

You're right Eldon. All this good advice and the op is silent......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast