Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingPBcastco
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Preserving Jerky

Preserving Jerky

That stuff you buy in the store will last years, how do I get my homemade jerky to last without going bad?

I'd appreciate any tips or directions or suggestions.

~Bazoo

Boolit Master

Oxygen is the main culprit that ruins meat, oxygen will allow bacteria to grow on the meat.
    Commercially produced jerky have little packs of something that will absorb and hold the oxygen away from the meat.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Vacuum sealing would help. Although I have never tried it with jerky, it works for other things we've sealed. Our homemade jerky doesn't last long. I have to hide it sometimes to be able to have some, as the boys & grand boys eat it like candy & it disappears right quick if I don't....
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Vacuum sealing is a great help. Then throw it in the freezer, ice crystals will not form if your seal is good. I have only been able to keep it away for a couple of months at best. Then the kids come home for a weekend and well..... we just seem to swarm the batch and eat it up most times!

USMC 77, USRA 79

I would highly suggest canning it... I use this method for preserving smoked salmon and jerky... in fact, I can just about everything!!! Get a canning book. Pint jars seem to work the best for me.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	202194
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I dont have the problem with others getting in my supply, and I dont eat it fast enough to keep it from ruining. Canning, never thought of that. I did think of vacuum sealing, but I dont have a vacuum sealer yet.

So, those oxygen eaters in store bought jerky is the key to why it doesnt mold. Wonder if'n a person can buy oxygen eaters for their own use.

Boolit Grand Master

Vacuum seal and freeze. Lasts for years.

USMC 77, USRA 79

jars go up on a shelf and don't take freezer space for years.. and when you are done, you reuse the jars !!!!

Those oxygen things aren't the only reason commercial jerky lasts so long, they are full of preservatives and other stuff.. those simple packs will not prevent from spoilage alone. Vac pack if you wanna freeze..
    Last edited by Markopolo; 08-19-2017 at 11:12 PM.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    Oxygen absorbers are available through Amazon.

I preciate this discussion. I aint set up to can yet. I dont want to rely on the freezer though cause i dont trust the electricity wont go down for long enough.

Crusting with or packing in ground pepper (either corn or chili variety) and/or salt will greatly help preserve dried meats.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Salt and sugar are both preservatives for meat.

Moisture and oxygen are the killers. So find a recipe that uses both salt and sugar, I prefer brown sugar, more flavor. Plus some cheap teriyaki, and garlic. Pepper won't hurt either.

A little real smoking would probably help also. Get it dry enough.

And for me, vacuum sealer is the way to go. We had a large bag of jerky we bought at Costco. I took a large sealer bag, made it into 4 pockets. Split the bag into the 4 pockets and sucked and sealed. That bag was in the fridge for almost 8 months.
    It all got eaten, none went bad. Last of it was getting a little dry so it went for dog treats. They love jerky too.