MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision

Thread: K 31 bolt lubrication

Boolit Buddy

K 31 bolt lubrication

Any of you K 31 shooters have a good lube for the bolt ? I know they originally used some kind of grease. I have tried all kinds of liquid lubes and don't get good results. Maybe I need to disassemble the bolt and clean the rotating part of the bolthead. just seems to be difficult to operate the bolt. Don't get me wrong it still functions great and reliably, but seems to drag more and more after a deep cleaning;(except for dismantling the bolt). Did I just answer my own question? Oily {One of the fortunate ones who bought a K31 20 years ago}

Boolit Master
    I just use an automotive white grease for my K31 bolt and it works perfectly well.
    ukrifleman

Boolit Grand Master

I use Danco Inc silicone grease on my $89 K31 lucky too
    Charter Member #148

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I would take the bolt apart and give it a good cleaning. ATF makes a decent bolt lube.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned
    1. Soak whole bolt 3 days in Acetone
    2. Blast it out with brake cleaner.
    3. Use a premium synthetic light weight grease.

Snickety-snick !

Boolit Master
    The Swiss used a grease called waffenfett suposedly like our #2ngli grease. So having said that a tub or wheel bearing grease from your local auto supply place should do you well. I bought a few of the cleaning kits that were on sale a few years ago and they included two tins of what looked like moly grease, black and sticky. They did make what they called autowaffenfett which was for the stg 57 rifles. So maybe at some point in time they just went with the autowaffenfett for all rifles. My K31 did have the black grease lubricating the trigger mechanism and the bolt. Frank

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Use Eezox on mine - clean and lube
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys looks like I have a lot of choices

Boolit Master

Lubriplate works for me on both the K31 and G96/11.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Plasti-lube w/moly on the camming surfaces in the bolt.... use this on M-I 's too....

Boolit Buddy
    Ok cleaned the bolt. Man is that easy to take apart or what? Watched short video on youtube and voila bolt out and only a small bit of very stiff grease on the rotating part of bolt head. Cleaned all of surfaces and put a thin layer of lubriplate on everything.Bolt now cams or rotates like a dream. Now here is the (but) the bolt on the pull motion drags like the op rod is binding in the receiver groove. On the forward stroke the bolt moves freely. OP rod is straight and no burrs that I can see.

What sameri46 said.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I like the Danco faucet stem grease for my climate because it's good from -40 to +400F, I've seen -40 but about +110F is all I've encountered here, but who knows with this global warming?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Plasti lube was the bolt lube of choice for the garands and M14 M1A this was the lube recommended by the army and marines. Its a very thick lube so working it into tight enclosed areas may be an issue, I have used it on other bolt actions to prevent gauliding and slow wear. I have used anti seize, white lubripate assembly grease, a moly grease, and High temp shooters grease. On the garand and M14 M1A or other semi autos is they may fling grease off into your face when functioning. Pasti lube is thick and very tacky adhereing good.

Boolit Grand Master
    Bolt grease and AR barrel nut grease. There are many alternatives that work well.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Man
    A light skimming of high temp bearing grease works well thats what i use on my k11

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

I lube mine with a light coat of white lithium grease.