Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: opening up 20ga choke

Boolit Master

opening up 20ga choke

Have a stevens 5100 20 ga double barrel (1950s)
    Its choked mod/mod would like to open it up to
    cylinder or improved choke DIY PROJECT
    suggustions on how to do it ??

THANX TURTLE

Odd that it's mod/mod. Honing out a choke might change your pattern center if diy. Better to cut it down to your preferred length above 18" and have cyl/cyl on that Savage. My opinion only.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

There are 4 blade reamers that you can use. I may even have one so let me look.

Boolit Master
    Have you tried loading spreader appliances in your shells to open up patterns? X-Streme spreaders consistently open my patterns in several tightly choked doubles which in my mind extends the usefulness of them. By leaving the chokes intact and employing this trick I achieve much more versatility. I always recommended that to guys at the club before they went about cutting steel, and never had a complaint.

I have a 4 blade reamer that is 17/32" to 19/32". Let me know if you are interested.

Boolit Master
    thanx for the offer JMAX iam interested
    this wouldn't open up too much would it ??
    not sure how far back the choke runs into the barrel

As to GNOAHHH i dont reload for the 20 ga so that option of spreader wads is out
    As to TEXAS dont want the barrels any shorter but your idea would certianly work to get cylinder bore

I have used spreader wads with good results in my Skeet loads for the short stations 1, 7, and 8. They worked real well in a skeet choke and made the pattern open up quicker. I tend to shoot high one quick as in half way to the center stake and it gave me lots of of time for the low house. They were a blessing on station 8. Might be worth giving them a try before you make any permanent modifications.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master

Mod to IC, brake hone will do it keep checking progress.

Boolit Grand Master

To open the choke you need a reamer and a pilot for the shank to keep it straight. You will need to hone or polish the choke when done. If you can you use an adjustable reamer and take a little at a time and test fire to check the pattern as sometimes simply taking x thousands of constriction may or may not give you the pattern you desire. I use a felt buff to polish the choke when it is at the desired constriction. You can turn a pilot from delrin easily. I ream from the back of the barrel and use a rod throught the bore to turn the reamer as I feel it gives a choke more concentric to the bore. You can use a pilot on the front of the reamer and ream form the front and not use a long rod if you want.