Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My trapdoor

Banned
    nice rifle!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    No, Bubba did not touch any of the metal on the gun, just the stock. Buckshot says I should cut the barrel off and make it a carbine.
    I disagree, if you cut the barrel off the ranges on the Buffington rear sight will no longer be regulated should you desire to use M1882 service level loads. If anything you might go over to trapdoorcollector.com and see if you can get a rifle stock plus the other missing furniture. You might also ask about when it was made. If so give the complete serial # with no "X"s.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    You can find barrel bands and nose caps on Ebay. Use the S&S forearm and a dufflecut join for an easy repair to Milspec. Please don't cut it!

Boolit Master
    Thank you Drydock, from a former Missourian, Sikeston to be specific. I will try taking it apart later today.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Well I was able to remove the lock with little difficulty and I was very impressed with the fit of wood to metal on this rifle. It looks like the tree grew up around the gun. It is also easy to see why the trigger pull is so heavy when you look at the main spring. They must have had really hard primers way back when. I tried to remove the barrel band but it was a no go, at least for me. I will have to get some help.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 10-05-2017 at 02:11 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Nice rifle like others stated.

I suspect you were making a joke about cutting down the barrel. That's how I took it anyway as you know you got a nice one regardless of the fine woodwork of a previous afficianado.

I was guilty of a Bubba job years back on a Swedish Mauser.

Boolit Buddy
    If you loosen up the tang screw first the barrel band comes off a lot easier.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Drydock, I will try that. DH, I am sure that many of us have turned into a Bubba sometime in our past, if we were honest. I know I have and it was one job I still regret.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12