Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to buy carrier arm (part of mold position) for Ballisti Cast Mark X ?

Boolit Master
    Hunter74, another way would be to rob the fan from a power supply and power it with a cheap 12v plug pack off ebay. Small plug packs are generally lying around the house from unused gear that has died over the years but hasn't been thrown in the bin yet, you may have something kicking around? 9-12v should do the trick.

Boolit Buddy
    That's a good tip also. Today I got an old power supply from my buddy's old pc. It works and if I get it installed it would get the air in the control box flowing. There is only one problem, it is as big as the door opening.

Another sollution is to search the other leads on the power supply and see if some of them has 12v output. I also have a smaller prosessor fan I can fit into the original box, but then I'll have to move either the pid or the lock on the door! The box is too small so I can see why you got a bigger one Tazza.

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Some fans are quite large, how much room do you have? in days gone by, 100mm were the most popular size, they went up from there to move more air. You could always try your local computer repair joint and ask if they have any old power supplies in their junk pile that may have a smaller fan you can swipe. or even an older CPU fan that may be more suited.

No reason why you can't use the CPU fan, you don't need a lot of air movement, anything better than none at all. Even better if you can drill a few holes on the other side of the case to allow the air to be pulled through and not relying on cracks/seams in the enclosure.

Boolit Buddy
    Holding the frame for the prosessor fan will give you an idea of the size of the smallest one I have. Removing the lock is not a god idea, so I'm thinking about moving the pid out of the box, but then I ll need some shielding around it. The paradox is that I may not need a fan if I move it since the ssr is the part heating the box

Boolit Master
    I wonder if you upgraded the SSR to a higher current one, if that would reduce the heat produced.....

I have a 40a one on my master caster, it gets warm, but not hot.

No reason you can't move the PID, but yeah, you will need a case for it to keep you away from the mains voltages.....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    I wonder if you upgraded the SSR to a higher current one, if that would reduce the heat produced.....

I have a 40a one on my master caster, it gets warm, but not hot.

No reason you can't move the PID, but yeah, you will need a case for it to keep you away from the mains voltages.....
    I believe mine is 40A also. After some hours I can still touch it but it's warm not smoking hot, but in that small compartment without ventilation I guess it's hot enough

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter74 View Post
    I believe mine is 40A also. After some hours I can still touch it but it's warm not smoking hot, but in that small compartment without ventilation I guess it's hot enough

Upsizing the SSR isn't going to fix the problem. If You can possibly do a little work and put the SSR on a heatsink and then mount the heatsink to the box you can eliminate a lot of the problem. I built a PID control with SSR for my Magma bullet heater using a processor heat sink and no problems with it.

I didn't mention a wall wart simply because I thought you were going to use a computer power supply. Do not exceed the motors DC voltage rating or it won't last very long.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12