Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
PBcastco RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alliant vs Hodgdon

Boolit Master
    Have used all the brands, but gravitate towards Alliant and Accurate. Alliant, hands down, for handgun.......Bullseye or Unique for 9mm, 44 & 38 Special, 2400 for the 357, 44 Mag & 45LC.

Tried Accurate Powders, in the early 80's ,when they we selling at a fraction of the cost of the other brands. AA2520 is my all time favorite for 243W and 308W with J-words. Wouldn't hesitate to substitute AA-7, for the forementioned, non-magnum handgun cartridges.

No one has mentioned VihtaVuori. The ones that I have tried, I like,very much. Albeit, they tend to be rather expensive, in comparison.

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master

Alliant vs Hodgdon

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    No one has mentioned VihtaVuori. The ones that I have tried, I like,very much. Albeit, they tend to be rather expensive, in comparison.
    You mentioned why no one has said anything about them. They are great clean burning powders. But their cost is what keeps people away. People tend to pinch pennies when it comes to reloading and powder selection is at the top of the list.

Give it some time and you will hear more about Lovex/Shooters World powders. You don't hear much about Vectan or Norma powders either.

They will all work for a given application. I have to many different types then I want to have at this point. Things were much simpler when all I needed was W231, W296 and W748. Was always able to find an accurate load and it sure made stocking in bulk easy.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    You mentioned why no one has said anything about them. They are great clean burning powders. But their cost is what keeps people away. People tend to pinch pennies when it comes to reloading and powder selection is at the top of the list.

Give it some time and you will hear more about Lovex/Shooters World powders. You don't hear much about Vectan or Norma powders either.

They will all work for a given application. I have to many different types then I want to have at this point. Things were much simpler when all I needed was W231, W296 and W748. Was always able to find an accurate load and it sure made stocking in bulk easy.

Indeed. I have had times when I wanted to simplify and condense the number of powders I stock.

I suppose I still could but being a reloading bench explorer I tend to buy things to test. Then there's the buy what you can find when we have our nationwide shortages.

A fast pistol powder: w231 or true blue
    A mid range pistol powder: BE86 or WST
    Rifles; 4198,4895,4350 and I could be done. In reality I have two 4895s, 4064, Varget, cfe223, 8208xbr, RL15, RL22, jugs of surplus wc844, 4350, benchmark, 4831sc, and probably more I can't recall. I am shying away from ball powders in rifle burn rates. I'm not that much in a rush. I can throw, trickle, and weigh fairly smoothly.

Boolit Master
    oh Id completely forgot vhitavouri or however you spell it. I've got some n320 and 3n37 in the closet stashed away. Was kinda chunky the last time I tested it IIRC so I set it aside to work my way back around it it.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    I tend to agree about Vhitavouri except for those who shoot USPSA and want the best powder for the job and they don't want to penny pinch. Most of them are shooting custom 1911's made by various custom makers that run as high as $5000 or more (Limcat for instance). A lot of people who used to shoot Vectan SP2 for 9 major and 38 super and since it is no longer available, they switched to Vitt 3N38.. I still get lots of requests at my club for N320, N340, N350, 3N37, and 3N38. Occasionally we sell N105 also.

<oops, thread drift>

I like the new Alliant Sport Pistol.. and have used both Hodgdon and Alliant powder for years.. In the last 2-3 years I switched from a steel shotshell load utilizing Alliant Steel to a slightly different but equally as speedy load using Hodgdon Long Shot since I could save on the order of 10 gr of powder per shell without much difference in payload (Alliant Steel load consumed 43 gr, Hodgdon Longshot load utilizes 32.5 gr).

Okay, back on track
    Last edited by sargenv; 08-25-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Banned

No one mentioned Vihtavouri because this thread was intended by the O/P, if the title/post is to be believed, to only discuss Alliant and Hodgdon. The rest is thread drift, which I don't mind.

Boolit Master

I used to use Herco & Unique for 9 mm & 45 auto. But like a few others have said, $$$ per pound convinced me to try Tite Group. It's generally 20 to 25 % less (cost per pound) and standard loads are 10 to 20 % less weight. TG meters a little better and, IMO, burns cleaner. I think Herco & Unique are slightly more accurate in the loads I use but not much. For sure a double charged case of Herco or Unique is easier to spot than TG. The extra volume of those 2 Alliant powders probably contributes to accuracy too.
    To be realistic, with 7000 grains in a pound, a charge of whatever powder for most pistol reloads is around a penny more or less. Projectiles, even cast, are the most costly component followed by primers.
    I like to buy powder in 8 pound jugs. That's where you notice a big difference in cost. Like 8 pounds TG costs less than 6 pounds of Unique. Both are good, the cost difference will buy another 1,400 primers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    I used to use Herco & Unique for 9 mm & 45 auto. But like a few others have said, $$$ per pound convinced me to try Tite Group. It's generally 20 to 25 % less (cost per pound) and standard loads are 10 to 20 % less weight. TG meters a little better and, IMO, burns cleaner. I think Herco & Unique are slightly more accurate in the loads I use but not much. For sure a double charged case of Herco or Unique is easier to spot than TG. The extra volume of those 2 Alliant powders probably contributes to accuracy too.
    To be realistic, with 7000 grains in a pound, a charge of whatever powder for most pistol reloads is around a penny more or less. Projectiles, even cast, are the most costly component followed by primers.
    I like to buy powder in 8 pound jugs. That's where you notice a big difference in cost. Like 8 pounds TG costs less than 6 pounds of Unique. Both are good, the cost difference will buy another 1,400 primers.
    I haven't thought of that way,but makes perfect sense. Thank you!

Boolit Master
    I shoot a lot of rounds per year..mostly .38/.44 SPL, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, & 9mm. I load to std velocities in these calibers, no hot loads. I have found that Titewad is just as good as Bullseye, if not better. You use less, it is fluffier, and meters well. One needs to be careful with it, as you do with any fast burning powder. You can get 8 lbs for $120 and you use small charges, so it goes a long way. I have found shot to shot "spreads" to be low as are the Std deviations. In the 9mm Luger I load to 1,000 FPS w/ a 125 grain cast bullet..it is as accurate as any of my other 9mm "best" loads. Titewad also works well in the .357/.41/.44 Magnums for Medium loads at 1,000 FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post

Boolit Master
    I like titegroup for certain things and a lot of people use it with good success in the action shooting game.. I have a 929 that I used for ICORE and USPSA Revolver Div.. Any load I worked up with Titegroup was an actual published load but made for sticky extraction with my setup.. which is Starline 9mm brass, Federal 100 primers, and one of the epoxy coated 147 gr RN. In the semi-autos any stickiness isn't really a big deal since it's only 1 piece of brass coming out and it's being actively extracted by the slide.. in a Revolver with moon clips it's now 8 sticky cases and I'm trying to remove them. I had a good supply of Alliant Herco, which only requires I drop an additional 1/2 grain and now my load is 3.6 gr Herco, 147 RN. Fed #100 SPP, and Starline brass.. and now every case easily drops right out as opposed to the stickiness I experienced.. Okay so I don't get 2258 rounds per pound of powder (@ 3.1 gr).. I do get 1891 rounds per pound (Herco) and positive extraction.. I can live with that..

Boolit Master
    I use whatever gives best accuracy for that particular bullet whether it's Alliant or Velveeta.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    I use whatever gives best accuracy for that particular bullet whether it's Alliant or Velveeta.

Well Velveeta was always a favorite of mine but the price is just too dang high now.

I use 'Hodgdon' simply because it is made on my doorstep and is thus very available. I do have a few ball powders to experiment with.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    I'm using a good mix of all different powders. Ball, extruded...... Double and single based....... It all depends on what I'm loading for. I too have never been a "brand" snob.

I use both brands a lot. And just recently got some Norma and VihtaVouri to try.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12